HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:14 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
Announcing the Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
Thank you for the feedback, but I still believe that enabling 2 switches - one for on/off and one for the 3 modes would be much better. That arrangement would also be more user friendly for those with transmitters that do not have three-position switches.
Could you not effectively do that with what he proposes though?

- Three modes (2D, 3D, 3D Heading Hold) on a 3-position switch.
- Master gain on a dial/slide
- Mix an additional two-position switch into the gain that offsets it to -100 (off) when toggled.
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Last edited by Aerocowboy; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Aerocowboy, that is a really clever extension to what we were thinking (on/off is high/low gain), and gives the added benefit of having continuous gain control also. Butthead, the biggest concern we have with having control inputs in addition to the mode and gain is the potential headaches and confusion it could cause. It would also occupy the Aux input, which quite often needed for model control.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post

- Mix an additional two-position switch into the gain that takes offsets it to -100 (off) when toggled.
As programmed, the firmware does not allow Three modes (2D, 3D, 3D Heading Hold) on a 3-position switch without using the software and a laptop or entering programming mode while on the ground during the first 15 seconds of powering up . Eagletree would have to make a firmware change.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
Quote:

- Mix an additional two-position switch into the gain that takes offsets it to -100 (off) when toggled.
Maybe, but not every radio has a dial/slide for gain control through the transmitter, nor a three-position switch.

Transmitter capabilities are so varied these days, that it would be sensible to offer a variety of options, including the 2-switch arrangement perhaps.
Butthead is offline Find More Posts by Butthead
Last edited by Butthead; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
As programmed, the firmware does not allow Three modes (2D, 3D, 3D Heading Hold) on a 3-position switch without using the software and a laptop or entering programming mode while on the ground during the first 15 seconds of powering up . Eagletree would have to make a firmware change.
Yep - that's what we're talking about with billpa from Eagletree (see #3464 above).
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:42 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
What we plan to do is add support in the PC software to let users configure each position of the mode switch (up to 3 positions) to be whatever you want them to be.
Sounds good to me.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:42 AM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Sounds good to me.
+1

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:36 AM
Halmstad, Sweden
Joined Feb 2007
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Sounds good to me.
+1

Donīt add more wires to the plug to the RX. Some have enough problems with the existing setup.

Lennart
LLFly is offline Find More Posts by LLFly
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
384 Posts
Since it seems that ETree is finally listening, here is what I would like. Create an app to use the software from your phone. We should not have to take a computer to the field, use the tx controls which are not user friendly or wait to get home to adjust the plane. If I can bank from my phone it shouldn't be to difficult to access the software.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:32 AM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Really solve the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
Maybe, but not every radio has a dial/slide for gain control through the transmitter, nor a three-position switch.

Transmitter capabilities are so varied these days, that it would be sensible to offer a variety of options, including the 2-switch arrangement perhaps.
ET should apply for a federal grant and provide a decent 18 channel computer transmitter with each purchase.....and lower the price to $10......and provide a free cell phone to call customer support!
JDougherty, Erie is online now Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:08 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougherty, Erie View Post
ET should apply for a federal grant and provide a decent 18 channel computer transmitter with each purchase.....and lower the price to $10......and provide a free cell phone to call customer support!
+1, with all due respect if you want more functionality then buy a better transmitter.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:14 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,964 Posts
Quote:
Aerocowboy, that is a really clever extension to what we were thinking (on/off is high/low gain), and gives the added benefit of having continuous gain control also. Butthead, the biggest concern we have with having control inputs in addition to the mode and gain is the potential headaches and confusion it could cause. It would also occupy the Aux input, which quite often needed for model control.
Ummm, can I see a Version 2 in the pipelne?
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:32 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Quote:
I agree with you and ^ &^^. It might be better to have two separate version of Guardian (similar to various Tx) so that one can graduate/ choose one version or the other. Try cramming in all the features in one may be too much to handle for a beginner.

KISS comes to mind !!

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:50 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,074 Posts
Good point CDude. I have no desire to ever use the 3D mode on my Guardian. A simple 2D unit at 1/2 the price would have been nice. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
I have no desire to ever use the 3D mode on my Guardian. A simple 2D unit at 1/2 the price would have been nice. Tom
Opposite here. I have no use for 2D.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards