HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:30 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
""""Additional LED Messages
2 repeated blinks: Radio Stick Menu is active
3 repeated blinks: USB is connected
4 repeated blinks: Error condition. Error type is indicated by a pause and a number of additional, faster blinks:
o One blink: Brownout – BEC or receiver battery is providing insufficient power for your servos and the Guardian. See the
BEC/Receiver Battery Power Requirements section above.
o 2 – 5 blinks: Memory / Calibration Errors – Repower the Guardian to clear. If this problem occurs repeatedly, contact technical
support.
o 6 blinks: Sensor Fault – If this problem occurs repeatedly, mechanical stress or damage to the board may have occurred.
o 7 blinks: Internal error. If this problem occurs repeatedly, contact technical support.""""
================================================== ========================================
I am not getting seven blinks (which indicates an internal error) I am getting unending blinks with no break in between them. I can't find this mentioned in the manual.
Joe
Joe,

If it still functions and it is "stuck in 2D mode" and you cannot resolve it by disconnecting and reconnecting then contact technical suppport at Eagletree and ask them for help.

Of course, you have checked the polarity of all your connections.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:56 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
================================================== ========================================
I am not getting seven blinks (which indicates an internal error) I am getting unending blinks with no break in between them. I can't find this mentioned in the manual.
Joe
Continuous blinking means it is in 2D mode.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, knowing it is in 2D and it will go to 3D makes me think I need to mess with the gains.
Am I reading the manual right......On a DX8, knob all the way to the left is off and all the way to the right is the maximum gains? If that is true should I get more sensitivity if the knob is turned all of the way to the right and the plane will respond to movement with greater vigor?
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:03 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
Continuous blinking means it is in 2D mode.
Thanks, knowing it is in 2D and it will go to 3D makes me think I need to mess with the gains.
Am I reading the manual right......On a DX8, knob all the way to the left is off and all the way to the right is the maximum gains? If that is true should I get more sensitivity if the knob is turned all of the way to the right and the plane will respond to movement with greater vigor?[/QUOTE]

What is the problem you are having? I am getting lost.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:13 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Am I reading the manual right......On a DX8, knob all the way to the left is off and all the way to the right is the maximum gains? If that is true should I get more sensitivity if the knob is turned all of the way to the right and the plane will respond to movement with greater vigor?

What is the problem you are having? I am getting lost.[/QUOTE]

The problem I am having is that I am misinterpreting the manual (through my own fault!).
My plane is not responding with any movements of the airframe.
I thought that in 2D the led should be blinking in a 2 blink sequence but I was wrong so when I saw the continuous blinking I panicked. I probably just need to re adjust the gains on the Guardian screws again and all will be well.
What I don't know is the effect the DX8 knob has in which direction. Is left off and all the way to the right max? Should I set it to max while I am "tuning" the plane on the bench to see that everything is working and the right direction and then set it to the center to fly it and then tune it in the air?
I really appreciate all of your all's help!
Joe
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:18 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
looks like I may have a problem with my unit. Installed it in my Habu 32, and all was good. Then while performing a modification to the plane, for landing gear doors on all 3 wheels, I found that even with the unit in "off" mode (3 pos switch on DX18 in middle position) the ailerons would "hunt" for center. I brushed that back to the back burner to invesitgate after completing the gear door mod... well in the midst of the mod, I now find that all 3 channels assigned through the guardian are non-responsive (Ail, Rud, Ele and aux (for other ail)), and the unit does not even seem to power up. Any suggestions?
Oryon is online now Find More Posts by Oryon
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:19 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Knob Direction

I prefer that fully counterclockwise on the knob results in "-100" on the channel output; i.e., Guardian = OFF. Then, fully clockwise should be "+100" for maximum gain. The magnitude of the values, i.e., "100" is controlled by your ATA / endpoint settings. However, the direction (-100 to +100 vs. +100 to -100) is controlled by reversing the channel. This is also true for the MODE switch; i.e., -100 / 0 / +100 vs. +100 / 0 / -100; just verify and reverse as desired, ensure no other mix (default or deliberate) is interfering, ...

Verify what you are getting by referring to the servo monitor screen; this will work for 2D/OFF/3D and GAIN.

Reach out if this isn't clear; plenty of us here to help.

Michael
Quote:
The problem I am having is that I am misinterpreting the manual (through my own fault!).
I thought that in 2D the led should be blinking in a 2 blink sequence but I was wrong so when I saw the continuous blinking I panicked. I probably just need to re adjust the gains on the Guardian screws again and all will be well.
What I don't know is the effect the DX8 knob has in which direction. Is left off and all the way to the right max? Should I set it to max while I am "tuning" the plane on the bench to see that everything is working and the right direction and then set it to the center to fly it and then tune it in the air?
Joe[/QUOTE]
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:22 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
Joe[/QUOTE]

If the master gain is connected the knob acts like volume control based on channel direction. If connected and you get no response with it turned to the left all the way try all the way the to the right and check. Or, disconnect the master gain and it should default to 40% master gain.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:50 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
I just set the trims mechanically by eye, with Tx trims beeing 0. Then did a level and trim set on the guardian. So the guardian should know where level flight is and in 2d try to hold level flight, even if the mechanical trim is actually causing the plane go up. ...
Then one possibility is that: perhaps it is already trying to compensate, but running into limits of either how much throw it is willing to give a servo or how much control authority some control surface has.

One way that I can think of to check this: fly it close enough (or use binoculars) so you can see what the control surfaces are doing when you are flying.

Also, in 2D mode, rotate the plane in your hand (motor off!) to approximate the angles at which it seems to fly at and see how the servos and flight surfaces react to this "non-level" angle.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:41 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Joe
If the master gain is connected the knob acts like volume control based on channel direction. If connected and you get no response with it turned to the left all the way try all the way the to the right and check. Or, disconnect the master gain and it should default to 40% master gain.[/QUOTE]

Well, I solved the problem, I think. I had another plane that I had the Guardian on and after a lot of head scratching I just "started over" and went to the 1st plane and duplicated that to the plane I was working on. It turned out that my switch select for the 2nd plane was set up wrong. I set the 2nd plane switch select exactly like the first one and everything started working like it should. It appears that I had the gains set up so that they weren't recognizing that the knob (aux3) was what controlled everything but they were looking for me to use the gear switch. I DO NOT understand switch select on the DX8 but what the hey!, it is working now. I kind of got an explanation from a video on Helifreak by someone named Finless bob. http://video.helifreak.com/tmp/b596e.../system_p2.wmv
Again thanks for the help, you guys are great!
Joe
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:32 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
If the master gain is connected the knob acts like volume control based on channel direction. If connected and you get no response with it turned to the left all the way try all the way the to the right and check. Or, disconnect the master gain and it should default to 40% master gain.
Well, I solved the problem, I think. I had another plane that I had the Guardian on and after a lot of head scratching I just "started over" and went to the 1st plane and duplicated that to the plane I was working on. It turned out that my switch select for the 2nd plane was set up wrong. I set the 2nd plane switch select exactly like the first one and everything started working like it should. It appears that I had the gains set up so that they weren't recognizing that the knob (aux3) was what controlled everything but they were looking for me to use the gear switch. I DO NOT understand switch select on the DX8 but what the hey!, it is working now. I kind of got an explanation from a video on Helifreak by someone named Finless bob. http://video.helifreak.com/tmp/b596e.../system_p2.wmv
Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe,

Glad to read you got things working on the second plane. It takes time to learn a radio.

For future problems it would help to explain the problem for us better such as "I was trying to program a 2nd plane with another Guardian and I cannot get (insert name or function) to work. My first Guardian on a different plane works great with the same radio. Can anybody help me out with programming my radio again?"

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Mar 06, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
Is there any possibility of a future firmware update that will allow for the switch between rate and headlock 3D via the transmitter, or this will never be an option due to the hardware? Right now, when one selects 3D mode in flight, or through the transmitter, it has to be only one type of 3D, previously selected during set up. It would be cool to have 4 options in flight: off, 2D, rate 3D, and headlock 3D - for that, 2 switches would be used in the transmitter: one for on/off and one for the 3 modes. Thoughts?
Butthead is offline Find More Posts by Butthead
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:14 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Joe
Joe,

Glad to read you got things working on the second plane. It takes time to learn a radio.

For future problems it would help to explain the problem for us better such as "I was trying to program a 2nd plane with another Guardian and I cannot get (insert name or function) to work. My first Guardian on a different plane works great with the same radio. Can anybody help me out with programming my radio again?"

Bill[/QUOTE]
Bill,
Thanks, I will try to be more clear next time.
All help has been appreciated!
Joe
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
Quote:
Is there any possibility of a future firmware update that will allow for the switch between rate and headlock 3D via the transmitter, or this will never be an option due to the hardware? Right now, when one selects 3D mode in flight, or through the transmitter, it has to be only one type of 3D, previously selected during set up. It would be cool to have 4 options in flight: off, 2D, rate 3D, and headlock 3D - for that, 2 switches would be used in the transmitter: one for on/off and one for the 3 modes. Thoughts?
I do hope that someone from Eagle Tree eventually chimes in on this one.
Butthead is offline Find More Posts by Butthead
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2008
42 Posts
Has anyone used a SR10 Servo Reverser with the Guardian? I need dual elevator servos.
willy43 is offline Find More Posts by willy43
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy43 View Post
Has anyone used a SR10 Servo Reverser with the Guardian? I need dual elevator servos.
It (Guardian) accomodates dual aileron servos.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Last edited by t.edwards; Mar 06, 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clarity