HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 02, 2012, 07:11 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
you didn't fly anything at SEFF with it in? I wish I could had a unit and went to SEFF so many people could have been introduced to it there
<--- Did you attend SEFF this year?

Fortunately, I still showed it off to a lot of people at SEFF though. I was able to take time and converse with about 15 of the nearly 60 people that I spoke with about it regarding installation and setup. So that was a definite plus. Unfortunately the winds were gusting at 17 to 25, so I did not put it into the air with it installed in my Foamie Sniper II because even with the guardian, that plane will not fly well in winds of that speed. I did not want to give anyone a false indication of the Guardian's capabilities. In that plane in winds under 18mph, I have tried it and it works great. And I was certainly not going to install it in another plane and maiden it at a fly in with around 500 pilots and even more spectators.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; May 02, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 07:45 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>
I noticed you power the unit through the throttle channel from the Rx. Could we use a Y cable in this instance to power the unit from UBEC?
Not that it makes that much difference but for clarification the Guardian 2D/3D receives its' power by way of the Aile. channel not the Thro. channel. ESC / UBEC / receiver battery etc. to the receiver's input and the Guardian uses a 3 lead servo connection th the receiver's Aile. channel ,all other Guardian leads are single leads.

I believe in the very beginning the Guarduan 2D /3D had Throttle input and output but current versions do not Elev., Aile., Rud., Aux.. Gain ,Mode.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old May 02, 2012, 09:13 AM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Thank you Silverexpress

I am a R/C nut for sure lol.

I have been flying R/C since 1978, It's a great hobby if you like gadgets, and lately stuff like this Guardian just blow me away very very cool

Aloha

Duke C.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old May 02, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Okay, here is my plan for the maiden flight of my Edge 540 when the Guardian finally gets here. If anyone knows why this will not work, please let me know.
As my Spectrum 6i does not have an adjustable knob to use for gain, I plan on using two receivers in the plane. The primary being connected controlled by the 6i with the Guardian ailerons aux elevator and rudder connected to it along with the throttle servo of the airplane. This will power the Guardian via the Aileron plug. I will then use a small orange receiver which is controlled by my Spectrum DX5e on the plane powered by a separate Zippy 15c 2 cell lipo.
Into the orange receiver, I will connect the gain to the throttle port. and the mode to the gear switch.
The 6I will be on a neck strap used to control the airplane, and the 5e on my belt pouch will control the gain with the throttle control and the mode with the gear switch.
My question would be about the two power sources. If the Guardian is powered threw the aileron plug with a three wire plug and all other plugs are single wire this should isolate the sources, however, If the Gain and Mode plug are single wire, I do not know if they will function if they are single wire. ( no signal return, or ground.)
Any Ideas?
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old May 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
If the single lead plugs will prevent this from working, I may have to make a Y cable and power both receivers from the same battery source.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:44 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,475 Posts
from your original configuration in post #334, I would think that the only thing needed is to make sure the ground (black wire) from the other Rx is also connected to the ground in the 2nd Rx.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old May 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm79311 View Post
Okay, here is my plan for the maiden flight of my Edge 540 when the Guardian finally gets here. If anyone knows why this will not work, please let me know.
As my Spectrum 6i does not have an adjustable knob to use for gain, I plan on using two receivers in the plane. The primary being connected controlled by the 6i with the Guardian ailerons aux elevator and rudder connected to it along with the throttle servo of the airplane. This will power the Guardian via the Aileron plug. I will then use a small orange receiver which is controlled by my Spectrum DX5e on the plane powered by a separate Zippy 15c 2 cell lipo.
Into the orange receiver, I will connect the gain to the throttle port. and the mode to the gear switch.
The 6I will be on a neck strap used to control the airplane, and the 5e on my belt pouch will control the gain with the throttle control and the mode with the gear switch.
My question would be about the two power sources. If the Guardian is powered threw the aileron plug with a three wire plug and all other plugs are single wire this should isolate the sources, however, If the Gain and Mode plug are single wire, I do not know if they will function if they are single wire. ( no signal return, or ground.)
Any Ideas?
Wow this sounds overly complicated. While not ideal, why not just put the gain on a normal two position switch ? The low position will be off, and the high point you adjust the endpoint to get the upper level of gain.

I did this with my DX7 which also did not have a gain dial. I was able to fly with the endpoint page active with the cursor over the high end point. I could then change in in flight. I started with the gain low so to not get into any problems with too high gain.

I don't have a dx6 but this may work for you. at any time you can still flip the switch 2 position switch to off.

even if you can't change in flight. Landing and changing slowly increasing the upper endpoint, then test, and reland is simpler than tow receivers and two radios.

just a suggestion

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old May 02, 2012, 12:02 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
I have over 50 flights in two differant aircraft with the Guardian 2D/3D and have never connected th Gain input. The default 40% works fine and each axis can be tweaked on the ground. Inflight gain control would be my least concern. I guess if you were flying a ficxed with witj a speed envelop up to 200 MPH and needed maximum Guardian performance from 20 to 200 in flight gain would be important but in the range of 20 to 80 I fail to see the need to tweak it it flight for normal flying.

Charles
Old May 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
If I understand the process of getting items to market - if Bill is still sourcing volunteers for Beta testing - then until that is over these will not be released?
IMO the unit with V. 1.11 installed could be released and most who fly fixed wing sports,3D,scale war birds etc, would be delighted with its' performance.

Yes the recently added feactures such as quad,camera gimble etc. needs addational testing / tweaking as well as what I consider extremely fast aircraft.
There is still fixed wing mixes being developed in an effort to make the unit more versatile with Transmitter with limited abilities .

I for one would love to have addatioanl ones right now to insatll in my other aircraft so that when the windy picks up I can just go ahead a fly anyway. If a Guardian is just used for 30 seconds during take offs and 1 minutes during landings it means the difference between being able to fly fear free in high gusty winds or staying at home.

Charles
Old May 02, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Wow this sounds overly complicated. While not ideal, why not just put the gain on a normal two position switch ? The low position will be off, and the high point you adjust the endpoint to get the upper level of gain.

Al
Variable adjustment allows for different gain for low and high speed ( flying, and landing)
Old May 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
[QUOTE=everydayflyer;21498944]I have over 50 flights in two differant aircraft with the Guardian 2D/3D and have never connected th Gain input. The default 40% works fine and each axis can be tweaked on the ground. Inflight gain control would be my least concern. I guess if you were flying a ficxed with witj a speed envelop up to 200 MPH and needed maximum Guardian performance from 20 to 200 in flight gain would be important but in the range of 20 to 80 I fail to see the need to tweak it it flight for normal flying.

You are probably correct as I have not flown it yet. One of my major concerns is that I do not wish to give up the aux for duel aileron flaperons which leaves only the gear switch. There is no 3 position switch on the 6i. Eventually I will go to a different transmitter. For now if I have to give up the gear switch and just use the throttle control on the 5i for the gain, If I use the gain function at all, that will work. At least I will be able to switch modes. I also realize that if I have to use a common battery, it can not be the 2 cell lipo as there are 6 volt max servos on the plane. I think the best answer here would be some way to adjust the gain with the throttle position or airspeed.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Would it be difficult to use a y cable on the throttle servo possible a voltage isolator, and maybe a signal inverter circuit to plug the gain control into the throttle? Now that might be complicated.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:44 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
<--- Did you attend SEFF this year?

Fortunately, I still showed it off to a lot of people at SEFF though. I was able to take time and converse with about 15 of the nearly 60 people that I spoke with about it regarding installation and setup. So that was a definite plus. Unfortunately the winds were gusting at 17 to 25, so I did not put it into the air with it installed in my Foamie Sniper II because even with the guardian, that plane will not fly well in winds of that speed. I did not want to give anyone a false indication of the Guardian's capabilities. In that plane in winds under 18mph, I have tried it and it works great. And I was certainly not going to install it in another plane and maiden it at a fly in with around 500 pilots and even more spectators.
Not sure that was a question to me but no i was not able to attend SEFF and well at least you were able to show display the unit to people there.

Didn't realize you only had it in a small light weight foamy
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old May 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,099 Posts
pm79311
That sounds like a hugely complicated solution.

If you do decide to do it, however, you should be able to eliminate the second battery. Just use a male-male pigtail (like a servo extension but with male receiver plugs on both ends). Remove the signal wire. Plug the pigtail into any open channel on each RX, doesn't have to be the same channel. This will power the second RX from the same power source as the first and make this installation somewhat simpler. The power draw from the second RX should be negligible since it's driving no servos.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old May 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,475 Posts
@billpa,
As for the planned Heli support, what will be the objective? Will it be as a FBL controller or mainly for auto-leveling?

Thanks.
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso