HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:42 AM
sandro2
Joined May 2008
25 Posts
Hi Guys.
Not sure if someone already had this issue. If you can help somehow, thank you.

Radio Futaba Fasst ( 8fg , 10 cgh )

Receivers ( R6008 HS, R6014HS )

Normal plane ( fixed wing ).

When I move the elevator very slowly , outside of neutral, a small glitch occurs in both ailerons ( I am using flaperon ). The glitch is just at a exact point of elevator position ( near center ), and outside of that point everything works great.

If I move the elevator fast, or not so slowly, the glitch does not occur when the elevator passes by the glitch point.

There are no mixes at the radio,

This problem does not take place if use the 7 channel receiver ( R617FS)

It looks like the Guardian standalone and the Futaba receivers with more than 7 channels have this glitch.

Somebody had this similar problem already?

Thank you folks :-)
sandro2 is offline Find More Posts by sandro2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:09 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddd View Post
I just purchased the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D system.

How do I use it with a Futaba 6EX transmitter that does not have a three position switch?
Hi chedd

6EX is basically a 5 channel tx. It does not have a three position switch.

So I'd connect mode to channel 5 i.e. flap/ landing gear switch. You can then only select between 2D or 3D mode but would not be able to switch Guardian off in air or ground. But that isn't a big loss really. I use it in my FutabaFF7. I see 3D is basically as if you're flying with your original settings because 3D will allow you to use your own out put only exception is that if you let go your fingers at any stage, Guardian will maintain that position for you - that really is a big plus if you're doing acrobatics staff.

Now, 6Ex does not have a "knob" which means you cannot adjust gain from tx or during a flight. But then you can adjust gain on individual axis by turining screws ( or pot as some folks call them) either clockwise or anticlockwise.

This is the easyest way to install, connect up and fly a model with Guardian imo.

On the other hand, if you're a software savvy then follow our resident expert on Guardian, JayY or suggestion made below by Sinowace. .

Hope this help.

@gadorey Have you tried Huggies? It works for me every time

I hope to give you a fuller reply later on. But mate you need to let your fingers off the stick and give guardian a bit of time to help you. I also suggest using full rates on elevator etc and physically re-trim your model for initial testing.. Sometime we fly a badly trimmed model coz we're used to flying a model and subconsciously begin to live with a badly trimmed model

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Mar 03, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:59 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
364 Posts
6 ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddd View Post
I just purchased the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D system.

How do I use it with a Futaba 6EX transmitter that does not have a three position switch?
Here is how I have mine set up. I use my gear switch ( channel 5) for my mode and my Flap switch for my flaps. If you only want to use 2D like I do, set either the up or down position- whichever you prefer- to 0%. Set the other to 100%. In the up position I have off (no Guardian) and in the down position I have 2D. The gains are set by turning the pots on the Guardian. Adjusting the gains takes time at first but once adjusted they are set. Ifyou want both 2D and 3D set the up position of the switch to 100% and the down position to 100%. Don't forget the default for the Guardian is 2D so if you only have on side of the switch set to 100% it will be 2D. ALWAYS verify that it is set up correctly (2D or 3D) by looking at the light on the Guardian.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Thanks,

I really appreciate your quick answer.
cheddd is offline Find More Posts by cheddd
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
97 Posts
Anybody tech savvy out here?

I've been struggling with this all day and have yet to figure out a solution so I was hoping somebody here might have some fresh idea's.

I'm installing a Guardian in a Sebart Mig 29 with twin vectored thrust (VT). It came with a standard rudder gyro to assist with hovering. The gyro was flakey and suspect in a crash so with the rebuild I wanted to try replacing the rudder gyro with a guardian. Due to channel limitations I can only have the guardian control either the VT nozzles or the flight control surfaces but not both. Since hovering is where the assistance is needed my intent is to have it control the VT nozzles. In stock configuration the model is setup as follows

RX channel
Rudder - Both rudders and VT combined and connected here
Elev - Elevators Y'd and connected here
Ail - Both Ailerons Y'd and connected here
Gear - Gyro gain
Aux1 - Rt VT nozzle
Aux2 - Lt VT Nozzle
Aux3 - open

The VT nozzles have a single servo in between that controls the rudder direction of both nozzles and they each have a single individual servo to control elev and ail functions (like elevons). These servo's connected to Aux1 and Aux2 have four radio mixes to make them operate, elev to aux1, ail to aux1, elev to aux2, ail to aux2.

With this setup everything works as it should. My thought was to connect the guardian inline with rudder, aux1 and aux2 with it setup in elevon mode. When I first connected it in its default mode everything responded correctly to radio inputs but the guardians corrective control was wrong. One VT nozzle worked correctly as an elev and the other as ail but neither together. When I switched the guardian to Elevon mode now it's corrective ouput is right with both nozzles responding correctly to movement however now the VT nozzles react incorrectly to stick input. Elev input makes one go up and down while ail input makes the other go up and down. So it appears that it's the same problem with elevon mode on or off just in reverse. In one mode the corrective action is wrong but stick input is right, in the other mode stick input is wrong but corrective action is right. I've tried every configuration I can think of but can only get the problem to reverse. I'm now wondering If somehow I can reverse the mixes to compensate for whatever the problem is. I cleared all of the program mixes and found that I only needed one of each for some reason. Simply having Ail to Aux1 gave me correct aileron control of both VT nozzles. The same kind of works for Elev but no perfectly. I added the Elev to Aux1 mix and although the VT nozzles due now respond to elev input one goes up and the other goes down. I'm sure this is due to the Guardian but I don't yet understand exactly why or why only one mix is needed to influence both servo's, again something to do with the elevon setting on the guardian. I think my best way to correct this since it's now close is to come up with a mix to correct the elev movement to make both vt nozzles go in the same direction.....any idea's how to do this or any better suggestions?

Update: Got it figured out, no need to reply
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Last edited by supertoyz; Mar 03, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
Will the Guardian work big airplanes I have a 30cc gas
Dan412 is offline Find More Posts by Dan412
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:51 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan412 View Post
Will the Guardian work big airplanes I have a 30cc gas
If you have sufficient vibration dampening, i.e. appropriate mounting tape, it should.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
Guardian 2D/3D

Can not find how to "Post".
john farkas is offline Find More Posts by john farkas
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:00 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john farkas View Post
Can not find how to "Post".
You just did.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
I just installed a Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer.It works on aileron works but elev. and rudder do not. They work from the Tx.

BTW where d I find the "POST" window so I do not have to use the "REPLY" box?
john farkas is offline Find More Posts by john farkas
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john farkas View Post
I just installed a Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer.It works on aileron works but elev. and rudder do not. They work from the Tx.

BTW where d I find the "POST" window so I do not have to use the "REPLY" box?
The blue post reply button on the left above first post or below last post on page.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:44 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
From one of my subscriptions...

Eagle Tree Guardian demo (11 min 2 sec)

Eagle Tree Guardian maintains hover (0 min 23 sec)

Eagle Tree Hands off knife edge (0 min 24 sec)

What do you think about this device? (1 min 36 sec)

Flight stabilization stories (0 min 41 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:41 AM
Canada, NB, Drummond
Joined Mar 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
Dude, it makes sense, sort of. My answers in red above.

The only behaviour that does not make sense to me was she wanting to go nose up all the time, but maybe it's a mental block. I'll try to explain...
Lets say you have a plane where the elev trim is not correct and is up or down too much. You do the level set up on the guardian by toggling the switch after power up. Then you go fly.
On 2d: my expectation would be that if the plane goes nose up because of the elevator trim, the guardian would detect that the plane is going off level and correct for this by pushing the elev down to maintain level flight. In my case this didn't happen and it just let the plane fly up and gain altitude.

In 3d with HH: I get the plane to fly level and straight. Because the elev trim is off, I have to push the elev stick down to achieve this. Then I let go of the sticks so they centre. My expectation would be that the Guardian keeps this last attitude irrespective of the the trims and correct it - so keep the plane on this level flight attitude. In my case it didn't and let the plane go nose up again and climb.

According to my logic, that should hold true for any trims that are not correct - elev, ail or rudder. Which would be a wonderful help on a maiden when everything is set on the bench, but you still don't know how the bird will really react in the air. This would help in taking up an expensive and beautiful scale bird safely with help of 3d to a safe altitude and then switch the guardian off and adjust your trims. After landing one could do a trim reset and that's it. But maybe I'm seeing it wrong.
What you seem to be forgetting is that you have to tell the Guardian where your center sticks are. With the Guardian OFF, you have get your plane flying level with your trims; mechanical and/or electrical. Once you're happy with the way it flies, you bring it back down and re-initialize and tell the Guardian that the trims are now set. Remember, if you ever change your trims on your radio then you have to let the Guardian know about it.

Otherwise, when you let go of the sticks the Guardian is still seeing stick inputs account of the trims. Example would be that you give a bit of up trim and then when you let go the sticks, the Guardian is seeing that trim as a stick input.

Hope this helps,

Al
al_voisine is offline Find More Posts by al_voisine
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
What plane is that?
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:14 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:43 PM.