SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:53 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,158 Posts
+1 Plenty of Help Available

+1 on help available, "second go", etc.

I own several Guardians and have only two templates that I saved and download into every Guardian: conventional (one or two ailerons, one elevator, optional rudder) and elevon (two ailerons connected as one aileron and one elevator, optional reversing one of the elevons.)

Everything else remains the same. So, for set-up, I only have to possibly reverse one of the elevons. I then verify that I have the POTs set to the correct direction (see previous posts and excellent video on Eagle Tree site) - I use 60-70% as default. I put the adjustable overall gain in the middle, verify 2D/OFF/3D working, and go fly; possibly adjusting POTs and/or overall gain IF there is oscillation in one or more controls.

It took longer to type this than to get one set-up and ready to fly, oddly enough.

There are plenty of folks who are willing to help. Heck, I've even brought my laptop to our field to help folks who did not have spare channels to control mode and gain - quick and painless.

Yes, I paid my dues, but the folks on this forum who were pioneers, helped me get to the point that I don't have to think about it anymore. I am willing to pay it forward.

Please reconsider.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
It's pity you're asking the question after the event. There are plenty of helpful guys here who wud have been able to help you. Just remember, if you were prepared to go through the pain of learning it then you have said "Guardian is not difficult to use" . You need to learn it only once then copy the same thing to n number of models.

Within 2 weeks of learning to use it, needless to say with help from here, I wrote a"Jargon free" version of manual. Why not have a second go? You'll soon get converted.

Cheers.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:54 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
Ok, I understand that. But does it still hold true if I have the heading hold on? Shouldn't it then try to keep whatever attitude it has when I centre the sticks? In this case being level altitude.
Hi gadorey

Just read your last two posts. Yep, did you retrim it after landing? Then mechanically made all trims zero.

Did you allow control sticks to self-centre after you got the plane to your selected attitude and direction? I think, unless someon corrects me, you need to let your figers off the stick then only Guardian will maintained the last input as the final input from pilot. Any deviation from it will then be automatically corrected.

Whereas, if you bring it to neutral then Guardian sees your last input as the final input from pilot and maintains that attitude i.e. nose up etc. So there is a subtle difference and I make conscious decision to let my hands off and only input I make is throttle adjustment. Hope it makes sense to you.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:14 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:27 PM
USA, CA, La Quinta
Joined Aug 2007
92 Posts
Thanks. I guess I was thinking that the blinks were an error message as shown in Figure 8 of the manual. Now I have another problem. I can't shut off stablization. I have my 3 pos sw set to center, tried my Mod pot both directions and still get stablization. I don't want to have to center the pots on the Guardian every time. Advice?
timlq is offline Find More Posts by timlq
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:33 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Is all of the way to the right on the knob on the DX8 turn gains "off" and the farther you turn it to the left the more gain you have?
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:45 PM
USA, CA, La Quinta
Joined Aug 2007
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
Is all of the way to the right on the knob on the DX8 turn gains "off" and the farther you turn it to the left the more gain you have?
Yes I have a Futaba 10C and it works just like that but never turns completely off.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:53 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,158 Posts
Gain Knob

It all depends upon whether you reversed the channel.

I use the servo monitor and look for: Full CCW = -100 (OFF), Middle = 0 (100% gain), Full CW = +100 (200% gain).

If the channel was reversed, then you would see +100, 0, -100. Personally, I prefer -100 to +100 from CCW to CW; i.e., crank the knob clockwise to get more gain, crank the knob fully counterclockwise to turn off stabilization.

Also, assumes your ATA set to 100, etc.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:57 PM
USA, CA, La Quinta
Joined Aug 2007
92 Posts
I got it...I didn't have my end points set far enough back. Thanks for the reply!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
[QUOTE= I wrote a"Jargon free" version of manual. Why not have a second go? You'll soon get converted.

Cheers.
[/QUOTE]

OMG ONE copy of this my way please
Pixar is offline Find More Posts by Pixar
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Installing A New Guardian

I just purchased the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D system.

How do I use it with a Futaba 6EX transmitter that does not have a three position switch?
cheddd is offline Find More Posts by cheddd
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:01 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
If only the Guardian was simple enough for a non technical person like me to use I would not of had to sell all my guardians still in the packages. With all this technical chat in this thread I could not get past page 2!. I have a NAZA and it makes flying a cinch.
GW, I also fly a naza with gps on a quad, and have seen (read) you on the posts on that thread. You shouldn't have any trouble with the Guardian, I find the Naza Gps by far a more complicated system, especially when you use all the functions like flight modes and return home. If you can get a Naza working properly, the Guardian seems like just plugging in servos to an Rx and maybe doing a mix on your Tx in comparison.

Sorry you're out, I find this thread very helpfull and friendly and at least nobody blows you off by telling you rudely to go read the ....manual like they do on the NAZA thread, or to go do a search because the question has been answered somewhere before in the 1300 pages in the thread. So ask away.
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Last edited by gadorey; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:06 PM
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
So I am seeing the Aux , Gain, And Mod wires on the guardian. the Gian must go into a open port on the rec to do the adjusting in flight. but what do the Mod and Aux do or go?
Pixar is offline Find More Posts by Pixar
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:51 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Hi gadorey

Just read your last two posts. Yep, did you retrim it after landing? Then mechanically made all trims zero.
I only had the chance of one flight, so no. Will do it on the second fliht.

Did you allow control sticks to self-centre after you got the plane to your selected attitude and direction? I think, unless someon corrects me, you need to let your figers off the stick then only Guardian will maintained the last input as the final input from pilot. Any deviation from it will then be automatically corrected.
Yes, I did let go of the sticks, soiling my trousers at the same time. She still went off course some what. But maybe you're right - completely letting go of the sticks goes against my nature, so I could have still had my thumbs lightly on them. Will have to conciously test that next time.

Whereas, if you bring it to neutral then Guardian sees your last input as the final input from pilot and maintains that attitude i.e. nose up etc. So there is a subtle difference and I make conscious decision to let my hands off and only input I make is throttle adjustment. Hope it makes sense to you.

Cheers
Dude, it makes sense, sort of. My answers in red above.

The only behaviour that does not make sense to me was she wanting to go nose up all the time, but maybe it's a mental block. I'll try to explain...
Lets say you have a plane where the elev trim is not correct and is up or down too much. You do the level set up on the guardian by toggling the switch after power up. Then you go fly.
On 2d: my expectation would be that if the plane goes nose up because of the elevator trim, the guardian would detect that the plane is going off level and correct for this by pushing the elev down to maintain level flight. In my case this didn't happen and it just let the plane fly up and gain altitude.

In 3d with HH: I get the plane to fly level and straight. Because the elev trim is off, I have to push the elev stick down to achieve this. Then I let go of the sticks so they centre. My expectation would be that the Guardian keeps this last attitude irrespective of the the trims and correct it - so keep the plane on this level flight attitude. In my case it didn't and let the plane go nose up again and climb.

According to my logic, that should hold true for any trims that are not correct - elev, ail or rudder. Which would be a wonderful help on a maiden when everything is set on the bench, but you still don't know how the bird will really react in the air. This would help in taking up an expensive and beautiful scale bird safely with help of 3d to a safe altitude and then switch the guardian off and adjust your trims. After landing one could do a trim reset and that's it. But maybe I'm seeing it wrong.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:07 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixar View Post
So I am seeing the Aux , Gain, And Mod wires on the guardian. the Gian must go into a open port on the rec to do the adjusting in flight. but what do the Mod and Aux do or go?
Aux would go to an aux channel on your Rx if you are using dual ail.
Mod would go to a 2 or 3 position channel on your Rx to be able to switch between Guardian off/2d/3d.

Ex.
7 ch Tx and a 6 ch Rx. I have rudd, elev, ail on two servos, throttle and retracts.
Ch.1 Throttle from Esc to thro on Rx.
Ch. 2 Ail on a Y connection to guardian Ail, ail from guardian to ail on Rx
Ch.3 elev to guardian, elev from guardian to elev on Rx
Ch.4 rudd to guardian, rudd from guardian to rudd on Rx
Ch.5 retracts to gear on Rx
Ch.6 Mod from guardian to aux or flap (3 pos switch) on the Rx

If I didn't have retracts I would do it:
Ch.2 right ail to ail on guardian, ail from guard to ail on Rx
Ch5 left ail to aux on guardian, aux from guardian to Gear on Rx.
Then do a mix on the Tx to get the two ail working together, with differential or whatever you wish.
Alll other channels remain the same.

If you have flaps, retracts and differential ail, then you need more channels on the Rx or even on your Tx, or have to sacrifice some functions.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:43 PM.