HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:56 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
Flaps 2D vs. 3D

I simply do not recall if I have ever tried a full-flap approach while in 2D mode. I usually fly in 3D mode and use 2D when I get myself into a nasty mess (of my own doing, of course - funny now brave one becomes knowing that there is a big brother at the ready.) :-)

If it would stop snowing and the WX warm up a bit, I could try it as I have the perfect bird for such an experiment.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
Michael,

Well said.

What about my question on the type of 3D mode you use on the Guardian when on approach with the flaps fully deployed and on whether you've tried 2D in that configuration as well?

Thank you,
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
"Guardian 2D/3D" is a stand alone.

There is also "Guardian Stabilization for the OSD Pro" which sometimes confuses the issue.
Yes, he was simply in the wrong thread. I sometimes fail to do other's research.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
Quote:
I simply do not recall if I have ever tried a full-flap approach while in 2D mode. I usually fly in 3D mode and use 2D when I get myself into a nasty mess (of my own doing, of course - funny now brave one becomes knowing that there is a big brother at the ready.) :-)
Got it, thank you.

Do you usually fly in head lock 3D, or rate mode 3D? Does the type of 3D mode make a difference at all on the approach and flap question?

Thanks again,
Butthead is offline Find More Posts by Butthead
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:15 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Gas Engine Guardian usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
Here is the answer I got from Eagletree about using Guardian with large gas engines:

The Guardian should be compatible with large gas engine aircraft and is able to reject most levels of vibration. However, very strong vibrations can impact stability. To check for this issue after mounting the sensor, perform a vibration test by securing your model to a test bench or stand and ramping up the throttle slowly while watching the AHI. If the AHI begins to pitch or roll significantly during this test, remount your Guardian sensor further away from the motor, wires and any other sources of vibration or electromagnetic interference.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of all your support requests and responses.

The Katana with DLE 30 that I lost was due to a seized servo. I disassembled it and found the motor froze.
Thank you, that's a great piece of information.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:20 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
Which Mode?

I am embarrassed to admit that I cannot recall. I have two model templates (standard and elevon), and just download the appropriate template into a new Guardian, install in the plane, then fly/adjust gain as has been described by other posters - never have to touch the settings again (except possibly level/trim reset).

If I had to guess, I think I have "head lock" engaged as my default. I doubt that there is much difference in approach / flap flying; just how it appears to track. E.g., the reason I think head lock is on is because of the crab approach if I have not quite lined up in a turn. A little kick of rudder corrects the flight path and I I just do it automatically.

This year, I will have to get serious about exploring the limits, trying different modes, etc. I just had too much fun flying this past season in some pretty strong winds, trying 3D maneuvers (I keep adjusting gain lower and lower as my skills improve), etc.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
Got it, thank you.

Do you usually fly in head lock 3D, or rate mode 3D? Does the type of 3D mode make a difference at all on the approach and flap question?

Thanks again,
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
I've tried finding the answer to this in this thread , but its tooooo loooong ;-)
So please excuse me if its already been answered. So I have a lightweight 2 meter polyhedral wing rudder, elevator, flap electric sailplane,, will this unit give both wing leveling AND yaw stabilization if hooked into my aileron channel,, which is where I have my rudder hooked into now?? Or will it cause too much roll when correcting yaw
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:17 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
How Does It Fly, Now?

If you only use rudder to turn, now, when flying the polyhedral wing, how does it respond; i.e., significant or insignificant roll coupling? That will go a long way toward describing how it will behave with the Guardian. Think of the Guardian as a faster "pilot" in the sense that it senses what is happening and applies controls as you might do to correct it; just a bit faster. However, the Guardian can only work within the aerodynamic capabilities of the bird, itself.

If I had to bet, I would think that the polyhedral wing planform would have less roll coupling, but I could be very wrong - have seen counter-intuitive examples too many times to put money on it. :-)

The current behavior is a very good predictor of Guardian stabilization.

There are posts about, e.g., a Radian with a Guardian. Try the search of this thread with those two terms. Granted, the Radian is not a polyhedral wing planform, but elevator/rudder effects will give you some hints.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
I've tried finding the answer to this in this thread , but its tooooo loooong ;-)
So please excuse me if its already been answered. So I have a lightweight 2 meter polyhedral wing rudder, elevator, flap electric sailplane,, will this unit give both wing leveling AND yaw stabilization if hooked into my aileron channel,, which is where I have my rudder hooked into now?? Or will it cause too much roll when correcting yaw
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:24 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
That's actually a great question, isn't it?

I suspect the guardian will just work. Seeing how your glider flies (I assume) perfectly well with just rudder, I would think it has a reasonable amount of roll coupling.
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:25 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Hi Airman74,

Welcome to this thread. There are plenty of helpful guys here who would be happy to answer any question you may have.

Now, as to your question, if you don't have ailerons in your model then aileron lead from the Guardian must be connected to the aileron channel in the receiver. The Guardian will stop the model from rolling, keep wing level if you fly in 2D mode. Of course you will use rudder in the Tx for changing direction/ bearing and elevator as normal.

Rudder lead from the Guardian will just have to be left out. But remember your Aileron stick in the Tx is now your rudder stick.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:08 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Yup!! Thanks guys!! And yes my polyhedral wing has quite a bit of roll coupling to rudder,, can actually barrel roll it using rudder,, and yes I currently have my rudder hooked up to aileron channel so that I have it on right stick. So it sounds like I SHOULD work hooked up to aileron output on the guardian,, I guess I just won't have yaw stabalization, which is fine. This plane is very slick aerodynamicly but cause of its very light Wingloading it can be a handful in landing approach during windy conditions ,, so I was hoping the guardian would help with that. For anyone here who knows electric sailplanes,, its a 2 meter poly wing pulsar. Think ill have to give it go. Thanks again guys!! When I get it installed and running ill let you know how it goes. PS think it would also help when I'm flying at extreme distance during windy conditions too. At any rate will be fun to try out. ;-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:41 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,967 Posts
I had a Orange V2 model gyro in a Radian and could see no real benefit from it so I removed it. I haven't tried my Guardian in it though.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:11 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
613 Posts
Electron F5J

Airman74, I have an Electron F5J which is quite similar to your Pulsar; and I cannot imagine the Guardian 2D/3D being of any value in either toy. It will neither help nor hurt, and in my opinion is a pointless activity. But... to each his own. (I have a Guardian installed in an electric powered Slide58 from WrongWayRC which is a profile fun-fly toy. I have it installed so that I can use it as a trainer for other flyers like some of my grandkids.)

Fly safe, Glover
glover is offline Find More Posts by glover
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2003
15 Posts
flaps and EG 2d/3d

Hi Snowflake. You're talking about a full flap rejected landing with a C-152...not a
150 right? . Mitch CFII SM SES Ret
nine o nine is offline Find More Posts by nine o nine
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:53 AM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
Joined Jan 2011
301 Posts
2D/3D Stabilizer

Expecting delivery today of my 1st Guardian stabilizer. I'm part of the team

I'll prolly get a couple more...
washab is offline Find More Posts by washab
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:59 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
Got my new Guardian installed in what I think is a trimmed (flat foam Twisted Hobby Slick) plane (DX8 and Orange 6 ch. RX), did the level procedure, flew in "off" then went to 2D and the plane immediately went steep up and a little to the right. Recovered by turning it off. Then went into 3D mode at level flight and it went down and to the right. When in any of the modes besides "off" I have control of the plane but it definitely doesn't "recenter" itself to level flight in either mode with the sticks in the center!
I have the individual gain screws turned to the left about 25% left of center. (25% of what travel is available from center all of the way to the left) and the reactions are what are in the instructions to counteract the movements I make.
What might I have been doing wrong?
A couple of questions. Do you reset the trims only while the plane is on the ground or can you do it in flight?
For first flights where should the "Master gain" set? All the way left, center or right?
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Last edited by MOfroggy; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM.