Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:33 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,455 Posts
Have a great birthday Jay. I am a Kid and will be 65 this year. lol

Like you, I suspect that having a Guardian linked to 2 power sources could be a problem. I would never do that. Interesting to see if EagleTree try this themselves but I doubt they would tell us....
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
349 Posts
Expo

Would someone please address expo. Is there a problem with using expo with the Guardian?
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:34 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,055 Posts
Expo w/Guardian

Try searching this thread for expo - don't have full PC access or I would give it a try - as it has been covered, but here are my thoughts (worth what you pay for them, of course.) :-)

Assuming "softening" expo (e.g., positive for JR/Spektrum, negative for Futaba), then all that expo accomplishes is to reduce the amount of, e.g., aileron output for a given stick movement.

When you setup your Guardian, you control, e.g., center box and/or overall stabilization gain. So, if you are trying to override the Guardian stabilization (e.g., to do some acro/3D, ...), then, with expo, it will take more stick deflection 'till the Guardian receives a signal that exceeds the settings you established.

No expo, happens sooner, with expo, happens later.

In effect, the Guardian already is "softening" the stick; i.e., it is acting as if it is providing expo. If you add expo to the transmitter, then it could be thought of as flying a plane, without a Guardian (or in OFF mode) and a ton of expo in the TX.

Some folks like a lot of expo and others do not like it; it is a matter of taste to some and religion to others. (He says tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Would someone please address expo. Is there a problem with using expo with the Guardian?
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:34 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
No problem. I use expo just like I would without Guardian. Works the same.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:57 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,455 Posts
I toned down my Sukhoi ailerons with expo as I just use it as a sport flyer rather than 3D and never gave it another thought. The Guardian works fine.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
624 Posts
Got too cocky today, almost killed a new Extra 300

Picked up an E-Flite Extra 300 during the week, put it together quickly and of course installed my favourite new toy, a Guardian.

Having now done 3 very successful installs I was getting over confident and not giving the setup all the attention to detail that it deserves.

Took off with Guardian disabled, climbed to maybe 100' and switched to 2D mode, model level as expected, commenced a right turn and everything got rapidly out of control, not what I was expecting at all.

Fought for control, thought maybe a aileron servo had failed, switched to 3D mode, not much better, turned gain down, a little better, desperately trying to get it to come back towards the field, don't want to stick in in the trees or the river beyond. Finally remembered to switch the Guardian off, recovered control and with heart going at a million beats per minute I go her back on the ground in one piece.

Hmmm, what's wrong me thinks, select 2D, tilt the AC and ailerons and elevator move as expected. Select 3D mode and yaw the tail, issue a world famous four letter expletive. I have the rudder gain set on the wrong side, AC turns right, gyro helps it even more, no wonder if was difficult to fly.

Borrow small screwdriver from another flyer who was watching the fun, well he thought it was fun anyway.

Adjust Yaw pot to the other side and fly again, perfect, the Guardian I know and love. Fly it two more battery packs and go home happy.

Moral here, make sure the gains are adjusted on the right side for each axis, then get someone else to double check to controls move in the right direction and rubber is much easier to see in 3D mode than 2D!

I live to fly another day!
Corona44 is online now Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:09 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,540 Posts
^ It has happened to me - overconfident, the nemesis catches you. I've checked control movements and throws but forget to check their directions, particularly ailerons. On take off, see it just rolls and C..R...A....S...H.....

This hobby can be cruel and good at denting pride in front of your clubmates.....

Good to hear you recovered from the situation.

I'll add it to my list of "Do"s

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:38 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,057 Posts
Hello everyone, one more question before I fly with this thing. I couldn't really find a simple answer searching the thread....

I understand 2d and 3d heading hold. However, I don't really understand 3d rate mode. What does really happen with this mode on and what are the differences as to when you have heading hold on.

The other thing is in the 3d tab in the software, one has the two sub menus - one for heading hold, one for rate mode. I thought you either turn one or the other on. But on my screen both are turned on. Is this right? Didn't really get it - what happens if I have HH on and rate off, or vice versa, or both on. If someone has experience with it and give me a short description of what happens in real life when flying the model, i'd appreciate it.
Cheers
gadorey is online now Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:45 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:28 AM
Fokker,I didn't even kiss her
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Apr 2011
1,259 Posts
Well...I've read allot of pages here..and have a couple questions that maybe someone here can answer
All of my planes are WW1 Biplanes and a Triplane that are very detailed and fairly delicate most are around 1/4 scale,all are electric...normally they only get flown when it's almost dead calm.
I'm thinking this would help on those days when I wouldn't normally fly because of just a little to much wind making landing very dangerous .
1. Would you guys put this in a very expensive and somewhat delicate plane?
ie...would you trust it in something that took a year to build?
2. If so,what setting would be best for landing on those breezey slightly gusty days?
Thanks in advance, Bob
Bob Dunlop is online now Find More Posts by Bob Dunlop
Last edited by Bob Dunlop; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:51 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
I hope this is clear, if not I'll try again.
JayY, perfect. thanks again.

wanted to maiden the guardian today, but something came up and lunch brake cancelled.... maybe later this week.
gadorey is online now Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:13 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dunlop View Post
Well...I've read allot of pages here..and have a couple questions that maybe someone here can answer
All of my planes are WW1 Biplanes and a Triplane that are very detailed and fairly delicate most are around 1/4 scale,all are electric...normally they only get flown when it's almost dead calm.
I'm thinking this would help on those days when I wouldn't normally fly because of just a little to much wind making landing very dangerous .
1. Would you guys put this in a very expensive and somewhat delicate plane?
ie...would you trust it in something that took a year to build?
2. If so,what setting would be best for landing on those breezey slightly gusty days?
Thanks in advance, Bob
Bob,

To answer your question, the answer is yes. I will put one in my giant scale Hangar 9 Cub but after I check it out in a less costly foamy. Like any piece of electronics (i.e., receivers) it is prudent to verify functionality in a less risky plane. In addition, you need to experience how it works and feel comfortable using its features. I have seen new Guardian users make simple mistakes with the installation such as setting the wrong direction of control surface movement.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,055 Posts
Guardian in a "Costly" Plane

+1 on all points.

I would not hesitate to install a Guardian in such a bird, but only after I had verified that the electronics were working fine (Guardian, receiver, ...) in an inexpensive foamy (I use a TechOne Swift) or old bird (Mini Ultra Stick.)

Build up to windy days slowly. Personally, I would fly the bird on your typical day that you have flown it, but with the Guardian OFF. Then, when three mistakes high, experiment with 2D and 3D, look for control surface oscillations (POTs and overall gain - see loads of posts in this forum).

If all seems to be working well, then gradually fly with an increase in wind quotient.

Personally, I have to admit to enjoying flying in wind that normally would have grounded my fleet, but, as with my full-scale taildragger experience, I built up the wind strength and cross-wind a little at a time.

As long as the unit is installed and working properly, it will do a much better job than I can do; especially now that I am older than dirt.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Bob,

To answer your question, the answer is yes. I will put one in my giant scale Hangar 9 Cub but after I check it out in a less costly foamy. Like any piece of electronics (i.e., receivers) it is prudent to verify functionality in a less risky plane. In addition, you need to experience how it works and feel comfortable using its features. I have seen new Guardian users make simple mistakes with the installation such as setting the wrong direction of control surface movement.

Bill
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:37 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
776 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

Bill
Was your Cub gas powered?
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:39 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

Bill
Hi Bill -/ Bob Dunlop
I hope you're speaking here from your personal experience. May I ask which giant model you've used Guardian?

The reason I ask because I assumed (know I shouldn't) it can be done which is where I'm pinning my hopes. I've a few scale models where I think "Guardians" would be my "Gardian ANGLES".

Please share with us your good, bad or even ugly expriences in large models

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:24 PM.