HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:44 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
It sounds like you're in 3D heading hold mode. I assume this is on the bench and not in flight. It would make sense because the Guardian would be trying to get the tail back around to its last commanded orientation and the shortest way to do that when going past 180 degrees would be to try to go the other way.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this would explain why the control surfaces on my P-51 "flip" as I change my grip on the plane walking back to my staging area. I usually forget to switch out of 3D until after I pull power.
Thank you for your thoughts, you are correct and I should have been clear that this was happening while bench testing. I did fly the plane and everything is just fine.

IM still a bit confused as to why my slick does not do this during bench testing. Makes me think I have something wrong in one or the others setup.
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:53 AM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzrtflyer View Post
Thank you for your thoughts, you are correct and I should have been clear that this was happening while bench testing. I did fly the plane and everything is just fine.

IM still a bit confused as to why my slick does not do this during bench testing. Makes me think I have something wrong in one or the others setup.
It could be that 3D mode in the Slick's Guardian is set up for rate instead of heading hold.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:45 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,086 Posts
My guardian arrived today and I set it up in one of of my planes. It seems to be working right on the the bench. Had to sacrifice my ail differential to free up the 3 pt switch. I only have a 6 ch receiver on that one so ch 5 is being used for the U/C and ch 6 I was using for the second aileron. If I had kept ail diff then I wouldn't be able to connect the plug to turn 2d, 3d and off.

Being a taildragger I lifted the tail and put the fuselage level to do the level attitude set up. If I understood correctly I won't have to do this again every time I power up, right? The Guardian remembers the setting, am I correct? Only question is if my eyeing of level on the bench really matches reality in flight. I mean, she could have a slight up or down attitude when I switch on to 2d in flight, causing her to either gain or lose altitude. There is no way to reset level attitude in flight, is there?
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:09 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:36 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:48 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,086 Posts
JayY, many thanks for your precious help and patient explanations. It has helped me a lot.
It's contributions from members like you that help many people keep going in this hobby. Not that I would quit - my rc sickness is well advanced and chronic.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after the first flights with the guardian on board, or at least for a flight report.

Cheers mate
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:25 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
That's correct, you don't need to perform Reset Level Flight and Trims each time you power up, the Guardian remembers. Be careful that you don't inadvertently perform a Reset Level Flight and Trims by toggling the 2D/3D mode switch on your Tx within 15 seconds after connecting the battery.

There is no way to perform Reset Level Flight and Trims while in flight. If you are off a little and the plane is gaining or losing altitude while in 2D mode with stick centered then land the plane, disconnect and reconnect the battery, and perform Reset Level Flight and Trims again, this time with the tail held a little higher or lower depending on what you observed during previous flight.
Again excellent helpful hints coming from JayY. Well done JayJ, the guy is a wizkid, and absolutely besotted with Guardian ...

Cheers

EDIT : I find I can trim the model using trim tab for all three axes in the air. After landing, bring the trim to centre and add that amount of trim in the Tx data or physically introduce that amount on the link. Either way it works for me.
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 23, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
So here is my problem:

I purchased the guardian and installed it on a EPP wing to experiment with it and see if i like it. I updated the firmware because the software said that I need to. I make all my changes that I want to the unit on my computer.

I utilize both 2d/off/3d switching as well as gain switching with two available dials on my radio. Everything looks good. I adjust my gains to where I feel that I will be happy with them. Bench test it and it looks good. Reset level flight and it takes it. I adjust my trims to where the look visually perfect then reset neutral servo deflection. Somewhere in the last two steps i describe the artificial horizon in the software goes crazy and the software locks up. I exit out and disconnect the battery and the unit never powers up again. I try to plug it into the computer and nothing either. No LED indication or nothing.

I describe the problem to eagle tree on a trouble ticket and they tell me to send it in. They say the unit is faulty and send me a replacement. I had to foot the bill on shipping to them.

I get the new stabilizer and BAM, the same thing AGAIN. Works for awhile until i reset level flight and trims. now the second one is dead as well. Am I just the most unlucky person to buy one of these or did I get the same unit twice? Now I am going to have to pay to ship this one in again.

For a moment I thought I had screwed it up by having the unit plugged into the plane and LIPO power while at the same time being plugged into the USB but it specifically says in the instructions that it is ok to do this. And it works while i do this. It is actually kind of cool having the plane plugged in and watching the artificial horizon react as you are moving the plane around.

I'm stumped and discouraged. I want to like this thing, everyone praises it, but I cant seem to get one up in the air. Only thing I've been able to do is ship these things back to Washington.
Nardonir is offline Find More Posts by Nardonir
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:30 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,704 Posts
^ Once more another very helpful hint from JayY - Well done.

I can see I'll have to prepare a pragmatic list, unless some else volunteers, of "DOs" and "DON'Ts" with Guardian.

As I have said before, the Guardian's manual is prepared by super engineers for engineers and not for users.

I drive a car but don't want to know what's under the bonnet or how engine management system works. All I'm interested in knowing "Does the car take me "A to B" safely and I'd volunteer to watch if there are any red lights on the dash board - that's as far as I'm prepared to go. If any red light comes on = stop driving and call AA .....

Wish Guardian had a manual like that .....ha ...ha.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 23, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
537 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Attention IPhone users

I have an idea that might be useful. Maybe it's already being done. That's why I am asking here. Here is my idea- I haven't tried this yet but ... My IPhone came with a cord that has the phone plug on one end and a male USB on the other to plug into a computer. I also have a cord for the Guardian software that has female USB on one end and a mini USB for the Guardian on the other end. So is it possible- or if not if Eagle Tree could do it- to access the software on the phone, attach the cord(s) from the phone to the Guardian and access the software from your phone. You could change your settings at the field without having to take a computer. Imagine the possibilities.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Software download failed. Oh well, nice idea. It would be nice if EagleTree created an app for the software so a phone could be used instead of having to use a computer.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
You're welcome. I'm not a kid, I'll be 48 next week.
Hi JayY,

No offence I hope but I've been thinking of your inner age when I wrote that post

Happy birth day in advance.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member