HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I had my battery hanging to one side once and my P47 remained on course. Same thing has happened to my little micro with As3x. Battery dangling side to side on the bottom and the plane remained stable.

Also had a control horn that let go on an aileron, and I flew the plane for two rounds till I noticed it.
Sounds like the last flight with my PZ P-51 BL. I lost the canopy and then the battery popped out and hung over the side. I hadn't really thought about the Guardian saving me, but I was able to bring it in for a landing without too much difficulty. The plane looked like a disemboweled animal when I walked up to it: the ESC and receiver pulled out when the battery scraped the ground, but all the wires were still attached. I was able to stuff the guts back in and fly the rest of the pack.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
612 Posts
Wish more pilots like you were in my club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
An afterthought. If this thing is as good as you all say, than basically one can become very sloppy with trims and CG, right? I mean, when I maiden a bird the first two or three flights all I'm doing is trimming it out and playing with the CG (usually moving lipo around) until I'm satisfied. If I now maiden with the guardian on board, and it corrects a bad trim or a not so good CG, one might really not notice it and keep happily flying an aerodynamically dirty bird and stressing the whole system a lot more. I suppose one can turn off the guardian in flight and check for all that, but one gets so lazy so fast....
LOL I just love to hide under the club's pole barn and watch guys fly (crash) their toys all over the place. The only down side is when someone without skills, but with a poorly built toy, crashes into a members truck. Not so funny then!

Fly safe, Glover
glover is offline Find More Posts by glover
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
3D Heading Hold

I only fly in the 3D mode and do not have the Mode wire connected.
I would really like to be able to turn 3D Heading Hold on and off with a switch on my transmitter while in flight.

I know that this currently not an option, but is it possible with configuration or software changes?

Anyone have any ideas?
Daler is offline Find More Posts by Daler
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:13 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
An afterthought. If this thing is as good as you all say, than basically one can become very sloppy with trims and CG, right? I mean, when I maiden a bird the first two or three flights all I'm doing is trimming it out and playing with the CG (usually moving lipo around) until I'm satisfied. If I now maiden with the guardian on board, and it corrects a bad trim or a not so good CG, one might really not notice it and keep happily flying an aerodynamically dirty bird and stressing the whole system a lot more. I suppose one can turn off the guardian in flight and check for all that, but one gets so lazy so fast...

Found two offerings for the guardian here in the Chinese ebay called Taobao. It's always difficult to search because it's all in Chinese, but with a few tricks you can find what you want most of the time. One shop is selling it for 600 RMB and the other for 850RMB. That's about 72Eur/96USD and 102Eur/136USD. Not really cheap.
Trim is very important. All control surfaces should be adjusted so that your aircraft has a good level and straight glide path. This is the baseline for the Guardian's control loop. So mechanically trim out your aircraft before engaging the Guardian.

CG you can play around with. The Guardian can compensate to a degree from pitching and rolling. It'll do this by applying the necessary surface throws to hold orientation. Just remember if you set to the correct cg and mechanically trim for that cg this becomes the baseline for the Guardian. Now if you move the cg , the guardian will compensate, making your model fly as before; however your control surfaces are now far from nuetral and so youll have less stick authority in one direction.

Hope that makes sense
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:01 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daler View Post
I would really like to be able to turn 3D Heading Hold on and off with a switch on my transmitter while in flight.

I know that this currently not an option, but is it possible with configuration or software changes?

Anyone have any ideas?
+1 from here.

JayY, Flying-llama, Crona44, Grantham Kid, Snowflake6515 et al any thought on this - can it be done on the existing Guardian ?

EagleTree any feedback on this question please?

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:15 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,186 Posts
Heading Hold via TX Switch

I do not see how to do this after reading the manual, but I am just a user. I like the idea, but I suspect that Eagle Tree will have to respond and I bet it would either require an additional channel (and, therefore "connector"- read: $$, as in redesign) or firmware to, for example, make gain or mode channels sub-divided.

Folks already think this device is too complicated (isn't really, but...), so can you imagine if this feature was added? He says, tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
+1 from here.

JayY, Flying-llama, Crona44, Grantham Kid, Snowflake6515 et al any thought on this - can it be done on the existing Guardian ?

EagleTree any feedback on this question please?

Cheers
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,961 Posts
I don't see the difference in flying with heading hold off, and 2D mode if you have changed your settings to higher percentages in 2D mode. You will acheive the same result AND have wing levelling as well. Have a look at your computer program and you will see that you can raise your percentages in 2D to maximum and this allows aerobatics without the heading hold. Then you just need to use 2D as your default instead of 3D. Try it, I am sure this will give you what you are after.

ps. also helps with landing and takeoff as you have your wing levelling.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
379 Posts
What percentage are you referring too?
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daler View Post

Anyone have any ideas?
I think I am missing something:
What 2 configerations do you want to switch between (3D heading-hold and ?)?
If you do get the Mode wire connected to a 5th channel, then you can switch between 3D (heading hold in your case) and either Guardian off and/or 2D mode
(depending on how that 5th channel is set-up).

One guess: Do you wish to switch between 3D heading-hold and 3D rate?
This I do not know how to do while the Guardian is airborne.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:29 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
625 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:01 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Heading Hold Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Sorry Daler, I'm stumped. Eagle Tree made the Guardian so that only two things were adjustable in flight, the mode and the master gain. It's possible that Eagle Tree could modify the Guardian so that the mode input or master gain input could be re-purposed by the consumer to be used as a heading hold toggle instead, but even if the design of the hardware would permit it, the Guardian's firmware and PC software would require significant changes. You could contact Eagle Tree about your desired feature, maybe they can implement a solution, but I see no way with current Guardian firmware.

JayY,

I have contacted Guardian and will post the response I get.

Daler
Daler is offline Find More Posts by Daler
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
625 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
What percentage are you referring too?
In your EagleTree computer software there is a provision to adjust the roll / pitch / yaw rates in 2D. Under the default setting it is impossible to roll or loop the aircraft but by changing the settings to a higher rate you can fly normally yet still retain your wing levelling. Your Guardian must be connected to the computer to enable the software. A Micro B USB cable is required.

I seem to be having trouble with this website. It keeps dropping out on me.

To continue...
The lower settings in 2D are ideal for learners as it prevents the aircraft from rolling or climbing steeply and makes the plane more user friendly for a newbie. As they progress, they can increase the percentage of roll or pitch whilst still retaining the wing levelling aspect.
This will then allow loops and rolls.
2D is the default factory setting, but this can be changed via the software.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Feb 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:36 PM
morjer
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Thanks, JayY, very helpful response!
morjer is offline Find More Posts by morjer
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:38 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
In your EagleTree computer software there is a provision to adjust the roll / pitch / yaw rates in 2D. Under the default setting it is impossible to roll or loop the aircraft but by changing the settings to a higher rate you can fly normally yet still retain your wing levelling. Your Guardian must be connected to the computer to enable the software. A Micro B USB cable is required.

I seem to be having trouble with this website. It keeps dropping out on me.

To continue...
The lower settings in 2D are ideal for learners as it prevents the aircraft from rolling or climbing steeply and makes the plane more user friendly for a newbie. As they progress, they can increase the percentage of roll or pitch whilst still retaining the wing levelling aspect.
This will then allow loops and rolls.
2D is the default factory setting, but this can be changed via the software.
This information is very helpful Thanks.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen