HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:35 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,815 Posts
Thanx JayJ for explaining that part of the software. I feel I am now moving on to advance level of programming. Your suggestion is excellent and I will play around with it when I go flying again.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
Stockholm
Joined Jan 2010
71 Posts
Hi friends, thankyou for replying to my problems:
Here is som aditional info:

1. What type of model (e.g. ,you indicated that mixes are turned off in the TX - so delta, elevon, etc. or conventional four-channel plane)?

-Itīs a Extra 260.

2.. What mode do you have the Guardian in (2D or 3D) when you see this?

-3D mode

3. You did verify that the "all seems to be good" means that the pots are adjusted to the correct CW / CCW for proper corrective action?

-Pots are adjusted for maximum effekt.

4. You did a level/trim reset?

-Yes, made level reset an rudders jump to verify that reset is ok.

// Now i set the model upp with a completely new fresh modelmemory with factory-settings.
The alerions and elevator is now conected?? W.t.f !!!?
Both move when i move the stic.
At powerupp the rudders travel to ther maximum trow. They go back to neutral when i move the stic.

Power is suplyed from an Lipo 4S/ 4000 mA (45% sharged), thru an ESC with beck.

This sample must be totally broken ??
What do you think?

// Mats W
Mats W is offline Find More Posts by Mats W
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
792 Posts
I would like to fly a large Katana with a DLE30 and use the guardian as a back up if I lose sight of the A/C. I am old and my eyes are weak. There are times when the AC just disappears from my sight but later I will pick it up again. This happens when the AC is far out, not close in.
I would like to switch the guardian on and fly the AC until I can see it again or hand the TX to a friend.
When I was out preparing the AC for flight this morning a friend said a three axis gyro cannot be used with a gas engine.
Has anyone used the guardian with a large gas engine?
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats W View Post
Hi friends, thankyou for replying to my problems:
Here is som aditional info:

1. What type of model (e.g. ,you indicated that mixes are turned off in the TX - so delta, elevon, etc. or conventional four-channel plane)?

-Itīs a Extra 260.

2.. What mode do you have the Guardian in (2D or 3D) when you see this?

-3D mode

3. You did verify that the "all seems to be good" means that the pots are adjusted to the correct CW / CCW for proper corrective action?

-Pots are adjusted for maximum effekt.

4. You did a level/trim reset?

-Yes, made level reset an rudders jump to verify that reset is ok.

// Now i set the model upp with a completely new fresh modelmemory with factory-settings.
The alerions and elevator is now conected?? W.t.f !!!?
Both move when i move the stic.
At powerupp the rudders travel to ther maximum trow. They go back to neutral when i move the stic.

Power is suplyed from an Lipo 4S/ 4000 mA (45% sharged), thru an ESC with beck.

This sample must be totally broken ??
What do you think?

// Mats W
Pots turned to max is probably not good or necessary.

If ailerons and elevator are connected you must have some mixing turned on somewhere maybe in Flaps.

I know its bad when things don't go right but i would just check over ever thing one more time, this thing is really just that simple to set up.

Fly plane first (without Guardian) get your CG right and adjust your control surfaces manuely ( as close as you can get without using a lot of trim on TX) for level flight.

Plug in the Guardian to ESC and servos in to Guardian paying close attention that the signal wire is the right way then mount guardian.

Set Pots to around 40% all three, power up and check that control surfaces are going the right direction if not adjust the pot to 40% the opposite way. Power everything off.

Set plane on bench in what looks like a level flying position, power on and in first 15 seconds toggle the gear switch (or switch that controls you 2D and 3D mode) 1 time to set Trims and Level flight.

Check the Roll, Yaw and pitch to make sure the control surface respond the right way and go fly with a big smile.

It really is just this easy, after you get the hang of this then move on to programing it to better suit your flying style.
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:32 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:41 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,091 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I'm considering buying a guardian to try it out, and have scaned this thread with interest. Still I have a couple of questions to make sure I got it right.
I fly mostly scale foam models and lots of tail draggers. My Tx is a DX7 and I have differential aileron set up on most birds w/ 1 servo plugged into the Ail Ch on the Rx and the other into the Gear or Aux (Flap) Ch .

Can I still use differential aileron with the guardian? Do I plug one Ail into Ail on the guardian and the other into Aux?

With tail draggers, most tend to turn sharply left on the take off run due to p-factor and/or torque roll. Since my runway is very narrow with ditches on both sides, I really have to be on the rudder during take off and it's always a scary moment since it has caused me some crashes. Will the guardian help me with straight take offs? What mode would be best to correct this problem, 2D or 3D?

Thanks
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:10 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,822 Posts
I like to take off in 2D as it keeps it dead straight and switch to 3D when I am in the air. I will give a link to a short video of my Sukhoi maiden where I take off in 2D. You will see how straight it runs. Just fast forward the first bit. I found that you have to maintain up elevator after lift off though because if you relax it the plane immediately tries to self level as you will see.
Hobby King Sukhoi SU-29 Maiden Flight.avi (2 min 20 sec)
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm considering buying a guardian to try it out, and have scaned this thread with interest. Still I have a couple of questions to make sure I got it right.
I fly mostly scale foam models and lots of tail draggers. My Tx is a DX7 and I have differential aileron set up on most birds w/ 1 servo plugged into the Ail Ch on the Rx and the other into the Gear or Aux (Flap) Ch .

Can I still use differential aileron with the guardian? Do I plug one Ail into Ail on the guardian and the other into Aux?

With tail draggers, most tend to turn sharply left on the take off run due to p-factor and/or torque roll. Since my runway is very narrow with ditches on both sides, I really have to be on the rudder during take off and it's always a scary moment since it has caused me some crashes. Will the guardian help me with straight take offs? What mode would be best to correct this problem, 2D or 3D?

Thanks
Correct, right wing into AIL, left wing in AUX.

You can use differential in the TX but you don't really need to as the Guardian can be programmed to automatically fly perfectly coordinated turns by all by itself, see that part about Guardian instructions about simulating "step on the ball" as we teach it in real planes.

I now fly DX8 and use the 3 way mode switch, in 2D & 3D positions I disable differential but in Guardian OFF I enable differential mode in the TX. I used to fly DX7s with Guardian in the 3 position flap switch.

Yes, like you I also fly taildraggers, both RC and real aircraft so I know only to well what ground loops are all about, I usually use 2D mode for takeoff and landings because it helps keep things straight and under control especially during takeoff and landing roll out.

That said, small models and rough grass fields can and do present challenges even for a Guardian on the ground.

Enjoy
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,091 Posts
Thanks for the answers above. You chaps got my appetite wet. I think I will have to try one of these things.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the answers above. You chaps got my appetite wet. I think I will have to try one of these things.
Go for it Godrey as I've replied to you in another thread - don't make the same mistake I made - wait 12 months...

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:51 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,091 Posts
An afterthought. If this thing is as good as you all say, than basically one can become very sloppy with trims and CG, right? I mean, when I maiden a bird the first two or three flights all I'm doing is trimming it out and playing with the CG (usually moving lipo around) until I'm satisfied. If I now maiden with the guardian on board, and it corrects a bad trim or a not so good CG, one might really not notice it and keep happily flying an aerodynamically dirty bird and stressing the whole system a lot more. I suppose one can turn off the guardian in flight and check for all that, but one gets so lazy so fast...

Found two offerings for the guardian here in the Chinese ebay called Taobao. It's always difficult to search because it's all in Chinese, but with a few tricks you can find what you want most of the time. One shop is selling it for 600 RMB and the other for 850RMB. That's about 72Eur/96USD and 102Eur/136USD. Not really cheap.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Found two offerings for the guardian here in the Chinese ebay called Taobao. It's always difficult to search because it's all in Chinese, but with a few tricks you can find what you want most of the time. One shop is selling it for 600 RMB and the other for 850RMB. That's about 72Eur/96USD and 102Eur/136USD. Not really cheap.
That is more expensive than the price in many places, including Eagletree itself, though after shipping charges, things may be different.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:38 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:39 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
I had my battery hanging to one side once and my P47 remained on course. Same thing has happened to my little micro with As3x. Battery dangling side to side on the bottom and the plane remained stable.

Also had a control horn that let go on an aileron, and I flew the plane for two rounds till I noticed it.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 20, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:09 AM
morjer
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the group, having just test flown my Guardain in my Super Sky Surfer. Very impressed with performance and stability. My question relates to an earlier comment by JayY:

"To climb in 2D mode, pull back on the elevator stick and the Guardian removes some of the down elevator bias and the Radian climbs at a sustainable rate. "

I want to be able to fly in 2D mode during aero video flights, and easily and routinely climb to higher altitude as needed during video sequence. I found that by increasing throttle AND adding 3 clicks of up elevator trim, my plane climbs nicely. When desired altitude is reached, I throttle back to normal setting and add back 3 clicks of down elevator trim to regain level flight. Works great for me.

I had noticed, as commented in an earlier post, that if I increase throttle only during 2D straight and level flight (with no transmitter elevator trim adjustments), the plane tries to fly level, just at faster air speed.

So, my question is: It appears that the 2D mode algorithm is primarily a wing leveling function while elevator stick is in neutral position, and secondarily a pitch leveling function (biased by in flight elevator trim adjustments). Is that correct?

Or maybe another way to ask the question is: What is the best way to use elevator trim adjustments on the transmitter to affect desired climbing, descending or level fight attitudes while in 2D?

Or another version of the same question would be, how does in-flight elevator trim adjustment differ from the "neutral" elevator stick position, as interpreted by the Guardian?

I presume the action of performing "straight and level trim setting" for the Guardian therefore requires the transmitter to be in that same elevator trim position (as it was when the Guardian trim setting was done) while flying straight and level in 2D?
morjer is offline Find More Posts by morjer