HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I still have 2 guardians still in the package. After reading all this technical stuff I have figured the guardian just isn't for me. I will be selling both my units in the classified in the forum at a greatly reduced cost. These Gaurdians just are not made for the simple man to use.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:57 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
909 Posts
Guardians For Sale?

That is a shame. I wish I could help. I now own seven units and had two crashes, initially, 'til I figured it out. Now, they work great and the forum has caught up (I was an early adopter, unfortunately.)

If you are intent on selling, what is your asking price for one or both?

If you would like some personal help, then I would be glad to chat with you about my straightforward setup (now that I have learned the hard way.) The recent "manual" for laymen is a good start. You might want to try that before selling.

Thank you.

Michael
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
426 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
Hello Bill or any with knowledge, I was wondering if the "Eagletree" products on the HK website were genuine? If not I plan to campaign against all things Hobby King as I and others are sick of the Chineese ripping off everyone's ideas and making enormous profits from it.

Thank you for your help and outstanding service!

They are listed on their website as a dealer, so I would assume they are genuine products
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:47 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
They are listed on their website as a dealer, so I would assume they are genuine products
Besides being listed as a dealer at the Eagletree website, I noticed that HobbyKing's price for a Guardian 2D/3D is about the same as some other dealers (possibly more after throwing in shipping).

HobbyKing's price is: $63.74
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tabilizer.html

Towerhobbie's price is: $65.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCUCV&P=ML

HobbyKing does sell other stabilization units that are a good deal less expensive, but they are sold under other names (like the "orange" stabilizer) and often do not have the 2D mode.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Here is my version of "Jargon Buster" manual for installing Eagle Tree Guardian Stabiliser AKA a virtual "Autopilot"

Grateful to JayJ and Crona44

Happy flying

Cheers
Shouldn't there be a step when setting it up called "Set trim and level flight".
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I still have 2 guardians still in the package. After reading all this technical stuff I have figured the guardian just isn't for me. I will be selling both my units in the classified in the forum at a greatly reduced cost. These Gaurdians just are not made for the simple man to use.
Sorry to hear you're disappointed with Guardian. Is there any way we could persuade you to have a second go?

I'd take JayY's offer - he can really help you.

I've also posted a note today (# 3176) simplifying step by step way installing a Guardian in a model and successfully flying it - please have a read through and see if it helps you any way. If I were a betting person, then I'd bet that once you go through the steep learning curve, you'd simply love a Guardian..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzrtflyer View Post
Shouldn't there be a step when setting it up called "Set trim and level flight".
I think I understand your point. Just a few min ago I posted a second draft where I included that point but I must have corrected it in the temporary file so it has disappeared in the cyber space. My 1 hour work gone in and now nothing to show for. Never mind, I'll redraft it and post it again.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 20, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:43 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by safarirv View Post
Downloaded and reading this morning with coffee ....Thanks a million CurrentDude!

You're welcome.

Hope coffee tasted good .

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cat Undercarriage
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
334 Posts
When testing the deflection of the surfaces in the setup stage to see if they are going in the correct direction, why doesn't the rudder and elevator move very far? I stand the plane on its nose and give it a 90 degree turn and the elevator and rudder barely move.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
426 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:13 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
When testing the deflection of the surfaces in the setup stage to see if they are going in the correct direction, why doesn't the rudder and elevator move very far? I stand the plane on its nose and give it a 90 degree turn and the elevator and rudder barely move.
I think this has something to do with the fact the guardian has a built in accelerometer. In practice (in the air) they deflect much further when needed.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
I think this has something to do with the fact the guardian has a built in accelerometer. In practice (in the air) they deflect much further when needed.
Thanks, the more I know about the G the better.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:59 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
... Flying-llama has not specifically offered to help, but is very knowledgeable and has been generous with help on this thread.
Thanks!
One note on my experiences (or lack of): I have not actually flown with the Guardian yet (I have yet to build the plane it is for), though I have played with it a lot on the ground and do fly a quadcopter with gyros that have the equivalent of 3D rate mode.

I am also used to reading thick manuals
Last edited by flying-llama; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:04 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
I found that I needed to turn up the gains all the way to make it easier for me to see the deflections.
Also, in 3D rate mode, one only sees deflections while the plane is actually rotating in the appropriate direction.
For rudder, 3D head-hold mode is easier to see any deflection: the rudder remains deflected until you move the airplane back to original orientation.
For elevator, for similar reasons, 3D head-hold mode or 2D mode are easier to see deflections
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:19 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
Awesome I hadn't seen the dealer list I just didn't want to purchase from them unless ET was getting there piece

Thank you!
Wizzard033 is online now Find More Posts by Wizzard033