Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:33 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:13 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Am I the only one who likes the Guardian manual? That might be because I am an engineer. It really is far better than the requirements documents I have to decipher in order to design and develop software products.
The manual is fine by me (I have seen much uglier manuals for some RTF helicopters), but I am also an engineer.
But forums at RCGroups, etc. definitely help, both with the Guardian and other aspects of RC flying (I basically learned RC flying on my own from reading on-line stuff like RCG).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, WA, Kennewick
Joined Jan 2013
138 Posts
Hope to write my version demistifying all techincal staff but written by a fixed wing flyer for fixed wing flyers. I hope to exclude even helicopter jargons which has crept into this manual. No wonder my clubmate asked/ adviced me not to get a Guardian but that was nearly 12 months back.

Cheers

CurrentDude...I will be looking forward to that,a nice step by step guide for us non-engineers......
safarirv is offline Find More Posts by safarirv
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:13 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
No making fun of SW Requirements Specs (SRS). I've written dozens of them for the Evil Empire (Lockheed).
For 2D, 99% chance the plane was not calibrated as to what "level" is. I assume it only needs to be done once (if you do not move the Guardian) - saves the setting in non-volitile memory.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:57 AM
Mike
United Kingdom, England, Thurstonfield
Joined Feb 2012
80 Posts
Is it me or is it 2D. First flight with gaurdian fitted in my FunCub. Made sure all controls working as per the manual and set up for 2D. About 2 mins into the flight at about 50 foot the plane dropped a wing and headed downward and to the right. To me it seemed to be doing its own thing ignoring my commands. I immediatley switched to 3D and regained control. Exactly the same thing happened 2nd time out to day. This time I left it in 3D mode and flew the plane for 3 hours without incident. I am a newbie with only previous experience with a Dynam hawksky so I am thinking maybe i caused these happenings through poor flight control but in that case should not the gaurdian have corrected things?
Weather was almost dead calm maybe 2/3 mph at most. The FunCub has an Overlander power set with 520watt motor and a 10" prop.
I have lost some confidence now with the gaurdian especially in 2D. I have the latest firmware v17 I think. gain is set at 60% on all 3 axis. Would anyone have any thoughts which may help.

Thanks a Lot

Mike
METATRON12 is offline Find More Posts by METATRON12
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:30 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,516 Posts
[QUOTE= CurrentDude...I will be looking forward to that,a nice step by step guide for us non-engineers......opcorn. [/QUOTE]

No Problem - I'll post a version later on tonight which will be my first draft - this is basically Crona44 version but simplified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
No making fun of SW Requirements Specs (SRS). I've written dozens of them for the Evil Empire (Lockheed).
For 2D, 99% chance the plane was not calibrated as to what "level" is. I assume it only needs to be done once (if you do not move the Guardian) - saves the setting in non-volitile memory.
Over to you JayY et al Please clarify this part.

I levelled my Catalina today and hand launced (by a clubmate) in 2D mode and nearly ended in a disaster. The intial 5 sec was beautiful, level and straight then decided to make a step left turn. Did not not responded to my aileron command, JIT switched to 3D and all went well there on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by METATRON12 View Post
Is it me or is it 2D. First flight with gaurdian fitted in my FunCub. Made sure all controls working as per the manual and set up for 2D. About 2 mins into the flight at about 50 foot the plane dropped a wing and headed downward and to the right. To me it seemed to be doing its own thing ignoring my commands. I immediatley switched to 3D and regained control. Exactly the same thing happened 2nd time out to day. This time I left it in 3D mode and flew the plane for 3 hours without incident. I am a newbie with only previous experience with a Dynam hawksky so I am thinking maybe i caused these happenings through poor flight control but in that case should not the gaurdian have corrected things?
Weather was almost dead calm maybe 2/3 mph at most. The FunCub has an Overlander power set with 520watt motor and a 10" prop.
I have lost some confidence now with the gaurdian especially in 2D. I have the latest firmware v17 I think. gain is set at 60% on all 3 axis. Would anyone have any thoughts which may help.

Thanks a Lot

Mike
+1 from here. Please see my note above.

I admit, the Guardian was not physically set100% level when I checked with a mini spirit level (but then I level it, adjusted level flight position with trim control and yet this disappointment)...

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:23 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:34 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
oh my!! took it out of the box, loaded the software from eagletreesystems.com and updated the firmware.

Mounted it in my 48in slick

Plugged it in per instruction and set all tree pods to zero; powered on and checked all control surfaces and all was good.

Then set all 3 pods with screwdriver to approximate 40% making sure to turn them the right way so the control surfaces were going the right direction and then powered off.

Set plane in what looked like a level flight position on my bench, powered on and within the 15sec marked i toggled the gear switch to set trim and level flight.

Then proceeded to switch between 2D and 3D mode and gave it check for pitch, roll and yaw and all was good.

Took off in 2D mode and flew 1 battery, This thing is just amazing got to love that auto wing level. on landing i just started my approach and as i back the throttle down it just sat down as smooth as can be.

Next battery i went to 3D mode and i just don't know what to say, i still have a smile on my face and cant wait to fly again so I'm out for now to go fly.

I'll be Back
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
575 Posts
Congratulations hdzrtflyer,

Thats how easy the Guardian is to install and fly, as I said in my earlier post last week I think far to many people are over thinking this device.

Install solidly,

Set roughly mid point gains 40-40%

Level the model in flying attitude and toggle the flight mode switch once back and forth.

Go fly and be totally amazed.

Then come back and play around with fine tuning if needed.
Corona44 is online now Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona44 View Post
Congratulations hdzrtflyer,

Thats how easy the Guardian is to install and fly, as I said in my earlier post last week I think far to many people are over thinking this device.

Install solidly,

Set roughly mid point gains 40-40%

Level the model in flying attitude and toggle the flight mode switch once back and forth.

Go fly and be totally amazed.

Then come back and play around with fine tuning if needed.
I think the manual is to blame here, it promotes too much thought. Once you do it like you have explained you realise that they are very well thought out and easy to operate, until then if you haven't used the unit, confidence and trust are a bit low.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,516 Posts
Guardian demystefied

Here is my version of "Jargon Buster" manual for installing Eagle Tree Guardian Stabiliser AKA a virtual "Autopilot"

Grateful to JayJ and Crona44

Happy flying

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:15 AM
Mike
United Kingdom, England, Thurstonfield
Joined Feb 2012
80 Posts
HI Current Dude, 2 similar "funny" events in 2D mode then, does this mean that their may be
a bug in the software i am still unwilling to use 2D mode. I recently purchased a 2nd gaurdian
to install in a friends plane who is a learner I don't think I want to be responsible for his 1st flight with the gaurdian after my experience. BTW Out again today in windy conditions the FunCub was solid and stable no problems using 3D.

Mike
METATRON12 is offline Find More Posts by METATRON12
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:37 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,738 Posts
Hobby King Counterfeit?

Hello Bill or any with knowledge, I was wondering if the "Eagletree" products on the HK website were genuine? If not I plan to campaign against all things Hobby King as I and others are sick of the Chineese ripping off everyone's ideas and making enormous profits from it.

Thank you for your help and outstanding service!
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, WA, Kennewick
Joined Jan 2013
138 Posts
Thanks a million CurrentDude!

Downloaded and reading this morning with coffee ....Thanks a million CurrentDude!

safarirv is offline Find More Posts by safarirv
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by METATRON12 View Post
HI Current Dude, 2 similar "funny" events in 2D mode then, does this mean that their may be
a bug in the software i am still unwilling to use 2D mode. I recently purchased a 2nd gaurdian
to install in a friends plane who is a learner I don't think I want to be responsible for his 1st flight with the gaurdian after my experience. BTW Out again today in windy conditions the FunCub was solid and stable no problems using 3D.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm not really qualified enough to make comments on software side but as far as I'm concerned, Guardian's Manual may have been written in Swahili (which I know very little) with touch of plain English here and there.

I did not get any chance to fly today due to other commitments but I'd have tested if the "Level calibration" is set correctly in my Cat. Next week and the week after are my busy weeks (work wise) but I might get out tomorrow morning before work for a quick test.

Suggest please check if you've done the level calibration correctly in your plane.

I agree with you that the best thing is to stick with the devil you know so stay with 3D and built up your confidence. However, if I were you than I'd test 2D at a safe altitude and see if it behaves well. Keep your finger on the toggle switch and change over to 3D as I managed to do yesterday, should you not be happy with 2D.

HTH

Cheers
RCG Plus Member