HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Hello,

just received this from guardian:

Sorry for the trouble, it appears that your Guardian unit has failed, unfortunately.

Thanks for all you help - looks like i will be without my guardian for a couple of weeks!

Michael
simon12christian is offline Find More Posts by simon12christian
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:26 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Upright Mounting

Michael,
I saw your follow-on post about Guardian requesting your unit be serviced. From your photos, the inverted issue should not have been a factor (early or late level/trim reset.)

Good luck, and please keep the forum informed of the results when you get your Guardian back; helps all of us.

Thank you.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12christian View Post
Snowflake,
I have attached 2 pictures to show, how the Guardian was mounted ( took the guardian off yesterday - so the pictures do not show the double sided tape / cable tie).

I cant really tell when I did the level reset - but propably prior to 10sec. - will try this in the afternoon. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Michael
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Snowflake,

fortunately I bought 2 Guardians - did some tests with the second unit. Same results on the workbench (no pc hookup yet). HOWEVER i used a new model in my DX8 set it up one by one - and the servo glitching movement on the ailerons came from my sub trim values on ailerons. I have read nowhere that the guardian is having problems with subtrim values from the TX? I only experience this on the ailerons, rudder and elevator subtrims have no such effect? I would have thought that the initail set level / trims procedure (first 15sec.) would tell the guardian that subtrim values to be considered as "neutral stick inputs"...

Michael
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Subtrim and Guardian

Michael,
Others have reported problems with sub-trim, but I use sub-trims if I cannot mechanically find a 90o servo arm position. I have never had a problem.

I think you are right that resetting should take into account sub-trim. After all, on most transmitter monitor screens, the sub-trim is shown as a value away from zero and appears to be indistinguishable from regular trim.

Excessive sub-trim might be a problem with the Guardian over-driving a servo, but that is also true for regular trim.

It does seem odd that two units exhibit similar behavior.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12christian View Post
Snowflake,

fortunately I bought 2 Guardians - did some tests with the second unit. Same results on the workbench (no pc hookup yet). HOWEVER i used a new model in my DX8 set it up one by one - and the servo glitching movement on the ailerons came from my sub trim values on ailerons. I have read nowhere that the guardian is having problems with subtrim values from the TX? I only experience this on the ailerons, rudder and elevator subtrims have no such effect? I would have thought that the initail set level / trims procedure (first 15sec.) would tell the guardian that subtrim values to be considered as "neutral stick inputs"...

Michael
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Michael,
Others have reported problems with sub-trim,
Something that could maybe be "fixed" in "servo config"? Using it to tell Guardian the midpoint and endpoints taking trim and sub-trim into account. Just a little math to change tx percentages into numbers for "servo config".
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,917 Posts
I use a Turnigy 9X. Can't afford fancy gear. I dont have any jitter problems at all. You can see from previous pics I use HK analogue servos (15148) and HXT 900. Nothing fancy at all. This leads me to think some TXs or RXs may be the problem? Trims on the TX are always neutral as I adjust the mechanical linkages to zero.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
United States, IL, Montgomery
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
Guardian 2D/3D artificial horizon roll in 3D mode

I have a Guardian 2D/3D sytem installed in an E-Flite T34 Mentor with Hitec Aurora 9 TX and a Hitec Optima 7 RX. I have the “Mode” mapped to channel 6 with Gyro 1 and switch “E” setting 0 at 100%, switch setting 1 at 0% and switch setting 2 at 100%. This allows me toggle the switch towards me in a off-2D-3D configuration. I have the “Gain” of the Guardian mapped to channel 7 and Aux1 and Left Slider (not to Gyro2 because it won’t work –trust me it won’t) with the setting at 100% and end point set at 140%.
Everything on the airplane’s control surfaces are functioning with the Guardian as expected.
My problem occurs only when plugged into the software via the USB port. Everything works perfectly except when I toggle my TX to 3D mode. When I flip the switch on my TX the computer screen rolls the artificial horizon about 7% to the left. I have reset the level flight countless times along with the servo recalibration. Battery is fully charged, telemetry verifies Voltage. I have saved the profile and reloaded or reset the factory defaults many times. I have shut down the program and rebooted the computer. I have checked the USB cord many times.
I even disconnected the wiring harness from the Guardian and it still occurs. Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated!
solarwindsusa is offline Find More Posts by solarwindsusa
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:46 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Sub-Trim and Servo Config

That's what I do. Sub-trim and regular trim bias the mid=point. So, I taket hat into account when calculating maximum servo throws.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Something that could maybe be "fixed" in "servo config"? Using it to tell Guardian the midpoint and endpoints taking trim and sub-trim into account. Just a little math to change tx percentages into numbers for "servo config".
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:43 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
595 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
That's what I do. Sub-trim and regular trim bias the mid=point. So, I taket hat into account when calculating maximum servo throws. Michael
You make that sound difficult. The amount you shift the mid-point you just add/subtract from the endpoints.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Thanks guys,

I will transform my subtrims and regular trims as stated in my monitor window (DX8) into the servo config tab (Guardian Software)...lets see if i can get rid of my ailerons servos glitching. Will keep you posted.

Michael
Last edited by simon12christian; Feb 13, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, IL, Montgomery
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
I thought of that and tried holding the airplane in a cockeyed position and then waggled the controls and then set it down. Same problem remained. I unchecked the software boxes in the 3D menu and hit apply and tried it again with the problem remaining. I then did countless combinations with the airplane at different angles and waggling the controls but to no avail. I have noticed that it does the same thing in 2D occasionally and very briefly. I think it is in the Guardian. I am going to order a second unit and see if it duplicates the problem. I will then load the profile from the first Guardian into the new unit to see if it duplicates. I will take precautions to save the second units factory default in its own profile first.
I am getting a "feeling" that it is a bug in this single unit.
solarwindsusa is offline Find More Posts by solarwindsusa
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:07 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Has anybody tried this stabilizer?

If so, what is your reaction/experience?

For $19 plus shipping, it is tempting . . .
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40 View Post
Has anybody tried this stabilizer?

If so, what is your reaction/experience?

For $19 plus shipping, it is tempting . . .
I think it has been talked about in this big thread (deals with using gyros on airplanes in general):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1035605&pp=100

Two things that I can see:
1. If I want gyros on all 3 axes, I will need 3 of these: $57
2. It looks a bit large for smallish foamies (what I fly)
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:11 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,917 Posts
I haven't been happy with Detrum products. ESC rated at 30 amps that shuts down after 1 minute at 24 amps. Cheap servos that strip gears. I replaced them with JR. I won't go near Detrum again. Better off with the Orange 3 axis Gyro at $17. I have 2 and they work very well and are tiny. They don't give you options like the EagleTree though.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid