HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,793 Posts
I love to shot videos and I love to post videos on my you tube channel I have over 100. here is a very short clip from couple weeks ago of EDF and his lil banchee, hovering hands off. not the best its short so was easy to upload. I really need a camera on the tx and one on the plane but not try to do anything like that yet.
short video with gardian hands off hover post online.MP4 (0 min 24 sec)

This unit is great, I would had never seen EDF fly this plane in the past in more then a 2-4 mph wind, now he fly it on a windy day w/o worry's, not that he is a bad pilot he taught me how to fly when I was 9 but the plane is so light weight he doesn't enjoy getting a plane blown all around in the wind but with the 3d mode enabled he can release from a hand launch on a 45 degree angle and not touch anything until he wishes The plane stay sable as ever. I even had the chance to try one of his launch's like this but from inverted, simply amazes me. I didn't need to correct for anything.

you put the plane into KE let go of the sticks and it will stay in a KE until it is out of sight.
the only reason the unit/plane would stop doing what you tell it is if it looses power, in KE or hovering if you lower the throttle input it will then drop the nose but what else can you expect? it doesn't control the throttle. maybe that be something they can/will add later on who knows technology is great after 23 yrs of flying so glad I am so involved in flying today.

Can not wait to have one to instal on my AJ slick. not that I need it but it will be fun to demo for people who know nothing about this unit Feel free to check out my other videos on my utube there is one of the slick just a couple days ago.

Chris
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Having not flow a fixed wing in a few days I needed a fix this morning. It was solid overcast foggy and misting rain so I said why not.

Managed to get a couple of flight in on the Lil-Banchee for a total of 57 with Guardian 2D/3D in it and a few on my Mini Gremlin which was my original Guardian test bed and I still mis not have a Gruardian in it. Sure which the Eagle Tree production run of the 2D/3D would show up ready for shipping.

I need to get the computer interface up and running but my brain has been suffering system overload from all of the motor,ESC,Tansmitters issues I have been dealing with for the past couple of weeks. Mother told me there would be days like this but she failed to tel me they would come back to back.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 20, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,517 Posts
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,873 Posts
"Sure which the Eagle Tree production run of the 2D/3D would show up ready for shipping."

Did you intend to say
Sure WISH the Eagle Tree production run of the 2D/3D would show up ready for shipping. ??
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,526 Posts
Finally heading out tomorrow to do some Guardian testing. Test subjects are a Hyperion Sniper II to start and then moving it over to a 51" 3DHS AJ Slick once I am confident with it. Will hopefully have video to post by the end of the weekend.
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,526 Posts
Got out with the Guardian (Finally!!!) today. First impressions are as follows, but I need to preface this with the fact that I've done little tuning when moving it from a small foamie to the larger balsa plane. In the Sniper II, the first thing I tried was switching back and forth between the three modes while at altitude, just to make certain it was safe and I had a way out if there was any issues. When switching from any mode 2D or 3D back to manual, there is no problem at all. You can be confident that should anything arise where you need to be 100% in-control, you will pretty much have a virtual pass-through of control. The winds today at the field were right at 7-10 mph because of an oncoming rainstorm (we'll get to that). Also, my club field is flat for miles in front of you with trees to your back from where I was standing. Wind was erratic, changing direction often.

Sniper II in 2D was stable as a rock. Even with the erratic winds, the 2D mode held true and level right where it should be. I found that on low rates in 2D mode I could bring the plane in very low with lots of UP elevator and literally stop almost in front of me in midair. There was no wing rock, which I sometimes get with this plane. On High Rates in 2D mode you can literally rudder turn almost in place. Looks like you are driving a toy car on a tabletop.

Sniper II 3D mode is where it really got interesting. I first tried inverted harriers, then some knife edges, and then hovering. The Guardian really shines here. I can see this as a benefit for those learning 3D/Acro flying. For example,say you want to learn/practice Knife Edge Circles. You can toss the plane up into a knife edge and then simply practice each control portion of the KE Circle in sections. Managing throttle. Managing throttle + Rudder for altitude control. Throttle + Elevator for the loop portion, while the rudder holds for you while you combine the other two. Then put them all together and it looks completely professional. Now turn the guardian off and try it.

Enter torrential downpour with my planes sitting out, and cap it with me scrambling to get everything into my trailer. Which is where I moved the Guardian from the Sniper II foamie to the 3DHS 51" AJ Slick. Which, I will have to post back about since I'm taking the Wife to dinner and I'm getting the scowl and foot tap with crossed arms...

UPDATED: 11:42 PM
3DHS 51" AJ Slick - After waiting out the downpour and using that time to switch the Guardian over to the Slick, I realized that after I'd installed the Guardian once, the second time took less than 15 mins to install, config, bench test. So when the rain stopped I was ready to pop it into the air. Again, I took off in manual mode (pure preference, because I believe there would be no issue taking off in either 2D or 3D mode either). Again, I first climbed to a safe altitude. AKA 3 Mistakes high. Then I first tried switching back and forth between the three modes at that altitude. Again, just to make certain it was safe and I had a way out if there was any issues. After I was confident in the control, I switched to 2D mode.

3DHS 51" AJ Slick - 2D Mode was actually very cool. On low rates the plane was a pussycat. With the wind now upwards of 12 mph, I was able to almost stop the plane in front of me with full low rate up elevator. Very low to the ground slow, smooth harriers had no wing rock at all, which I get with this plane usually if there is any wind and attempting harriers. On high rates in 2D mode was was doing elevators that were smooth as silk. Yes, I can do them without the Guardian, but with it stabilizing, my elevators looked very polished. Circling harriers were fun to practice in this mode.

3DHS 51" AJ Slick - 3D Mode was a little hairy. I know this is a tuning issue on my part because it was literally installed in a cramped trailer and I was soaked and frustrated from trying to cram everything into the trailer when the downpour occured. I think a fairly large drop in the gain will be needed the next time I take it out for a test in this plane. I was not getting oscillation, but the plane felt wonky.Like I said though, this is most likely a tuning thing on my part. I plan to also setup the remote gain adjustment the next time I go out.

Overall opinion so far is this. I've used several stabilization products as well as some I have made from scratch gyros, wiimotes, etc. I wont mention any of the other products because they are perfectly fine in their own right. But I can safely say I have used all of the available storebought versions of products similar to the Guardian. Not because I can't fly, but because I like playing with new tech and it's cool to be able to use as a teaching tool. With that said, the Guardian so far is by far the best I have ever seen. The setup is easy. The configuration via no PC or controller, stock as a rock is very useable. The GUI interface via the EagleTree software is pretty detailed and laid out very well. I am very impressed overall and would definitly recommend the Guardian not only for people who are learning to fly better or fly/learn 3D, but also for folks who just want some additional stability for those days when the wind is just far too hampering to let you have a great day of flying. I can't wait to get out and test this some more. I may move it into my 3DHS BuckHuck to fly at SEFF next week. If any of you are there, feel free to track me down and I'll be happy to let you take a look at the Guardian and slide you some more info I have on it.

So to sum today up, by the time I left the field the wind was absolutely gusting to the point where there was no way I would have taken any plane I have from the little ones to the 70+ inchers. But I just had to take the Slick up for one final run. Sadly there was no one to shoot video for me today, but I strapped the GoPro top of my head. If I got any good video out of it I will post it here tomorrow. Thanks - HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; Apr 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,996 Posts
I notice the Guardian is being advertised in magazines now. Perhaps that means it will start shipping soon.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Well I sure hope you are correct!

I really need the addational 5 that I have coming as it now seems that the wind here is going to blow between 10 and 20 with gust 30 to 45 MPH more often than not..

Everyday on the news there are more trees reported blown down arcross car,houses,power lines etc.. I just checked the forcast and for today and tomorrow winds 10 to 20 with gust to 30.

Charles
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
647 Posts
HansAuf

nice review - I am really impressed with the 3d mode for sure !

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
Team Basement RC
Canada, ON, Aurora
Joined Jul 2010
131 Posts
so when are they starting to ship these out?
Yuvski is online now Find More Posts by Yuvski
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Manual or PC Software?

Any word on release date for the manual or the software?
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
A port for a GPS and a RTH feature would also be nice.
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm79311 View Post
A port for a GPS and a RTH feature would also be nice.
That would be more fitting for the Guardian Expander. That is not really the intended purpose of the Guardian Stabilizer.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Looking forward for a pitot tube airspeed sensor to control the overall gain. Add to this a software feature that detects wag/flutter and automatically decreases the gain for that particular control surface to a user set %. These are needed features for aircraft that have a wider speed range such as an EDF, Turbine, or Wing types. It's also needed for powered dives.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
It already has flutter detection and reduction build in without need of an external speed sensor. It also has adjustable gain input by way of the transmitter which as I suggested much earlier could be tied (mixed) to the thrittle so as speed increases gain is reduced. Not a perfect solution for all flying types but woreable. One can also use a seperate channel (slider controled) and adjust overall gain during different flight situations or even a 3 pos. switch with three different gains such as flight modes.

Charles