HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:19 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,718 Posts
Hi JayY

Thanx for your reply. I suppose i'll have to translate your info into my Tranmitter and see how far I can go.

Strangly, I tried to post a reply before but it just disappered in the cyberspace....

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:24 AM
United Kingdom, Cullompton
Joined Apr 2011
75 Posts
Astounded!

I've just maidened my first Guardian on my 48" Telink 3d foamy. To cut a long story short, I'm simply astounded what how well this unit works!

The weather has been awful all weekend here in the UK (nothing new there then). My frustration at not being able to get out and fly built to the point where I decided to go for it during a break in the rain, despite the strong wind. As soon as the plane left my hand for launch I thought I'd made a mistake as the wind caught it and the plane did a knife edge 6ft off the ground. Once I had wrestled back control it was a real handful, way too gusty for this plane. I didn't fancy having to land so I thought what the hell and flicked on the Guardian in 3D mode. The difference was almost unbelievable! With heading lock on all I had to do was point the plane in the direction I wanted and it locked in. I could see the gyro fighting to keep the wings level but it did so brilliantly. Even flying knife edge with the strong cross wind was ridiculously easy; simple roll the plane on its side and the wings stay locked in vertical with hand off. The 3D heading hold even made landing in the blustery wind easy. I just settled the plane with the nose about 10deg up, centred the slicks and brought it right down to the ground just using throttle.

All in all I'm very impressed. The best 55 I've spend on RC in ages.
mrbeacham68 is offline Find More Posts by mrbeacham68
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:00 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
541 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,718 Posts
Happy to say JayJ that I've linked up my R&E Model to Guardian and it works well with FF7 Tx. Obviously, two position switch means I can only have 2D or 3D (in flight) but cannot switch off. I'll play around and see if I can do something about in flight gain control.

Congratulations mrbeacham68 well done.

I wrote a note before for JayJ praising him for all the help he, Grantham Kid and Flying-Llama have offered to me. Guys you're making Guardian a "Must have" item for all RC flying models - keep up your good work. We'll soon be wondering how we managed to fly a model with a Guardian in it....ha ha

A year ago this time I was very interested in Guardian but a club member persuaded me not to buy it. He thought it's just a one day wonder gimmicy thing.

I have a fleet of scale planes - very precious to me and fly them only in ideal conditions. So I'll be installing Guardian in all of my scale models including yet unflown Hangar 9 "Twin Otter".

Our down and under member (sorry forgotten the name, EDIT : it was Crona44 ..ha ...ha ) has flown E-flite Beaver with Guardian installed. That really wetted my apetite and descided to have another go ... the rest is becoming almost history.

Thanx BTW to Crona44 - your simplified version for installing Guardian. That has been very help to me as well.

Cheers

PS : JayJ Are you sure you're not on Eagletree Board of Directors (i.e. CEO in USA)? You should be...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
541 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
541 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:06 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,666 Posts
LOL, I did my best to loop and roll my Sukhoi in 2D. It just doesn't happen, but it was fun trying.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Hello,
I have read a lot about the Guardian and finaly bought one. I have set it up and have found one problem with my setup (DX8, Guardian in Multiplex Easy Glider 2). I keep getting slight servo movement on my ailerons (no y-cable) - and although the plane (as well as the installed guardian) is completely leveled , i cant seem to get the artificial horizon (under 2d) to ligne up straight. I have done a firmware upgrade, reset level flight and trims and have done a reset of Level Pitch / Roll (software). If i leave the plane connected to the PC, i can see after a few minutes that the artifical horizon has moved although the plane has not moved (aileron servos moving slightly up left /down right). It seems to me, that the aileron servos are constantly moving due to moving horizon . Reducing gain had no impact as well as switching off the guardian also had no impact on the aileron servos. Connecting the servos straight to the receiver (AR800 Spektrum) i have no problems. I hope you experts can help me on this.

Thank you, greetings from Germany,

Michael Kaiser
simon12christian is offline Find More Posts by simon12christian
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Guardian Drifting?

Michael,
A couple of questions about your environment.

1. Did you mount the Guardian securely (e.g., with exterior grade double-sided sticky tape?) Some folks have experienced "creep" when relying upon Velcro, alone.

2. What is the temperature of the environment (e.g., inside a home workshop, cold garage, outside, etc.)? I had a slight creep when I took a Guardian that was mounted in a warm workshop to the field where it was a bit on the chilly side.

If #1 is "securely mounted" and #2 is "normal room temperature", then I am stuck and would recommend submitting a trouble ticket to get formal Eagle Tree support. While reps monitor this forum, it is always better to create a trouble ticket and get formal attention after exhausting these forums as you are doing.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12christian View Post
Hello,
I have read a lot about the Guardian and finaly bought one. I have set it up and have found one problem with my setup (DX8, Guardian in Multiplex Easy Glider 2). I keep getting slight servo movement on my ailerons (no y-cable) - and although the plane (as well as the installed guardian) is completely leveled , i cant seem to get the artificial horizon (under 2d) to ligne up straight. I have done a firmware upgrade, reset level flight and trims and have done a reset of Level Pitch / Roll (software). If i leave the plane connected to the PC, i can see after a few minutes that the artifical horizon has moved although the plane has not moved (aileron servos moving slightly up left /down right). It seems to me, that the aileron servos are constantly moving due to moving horizon . Reducing gain had no impact as well as switching off the guardian also had no impact on the aileron servos. Connecting the servos straight to the receiver (AR800 Spektrum) i have no problems. I hope you experts can help me on this.

Thank you, greetings from Germany,

Michael Kaiser
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Hello Snowflake,
as you correctly assumed the guardian is mounted on a plywood plate, secured with double sided tape and a cable tie. I am still testing the functions - room teperature - the weather here ist too bad to even think about flying. I opened a ticket with Eagletree - lets see where the bug is, i will keep you all posted.

Just one thing, do i understand correctly, that when you reset your level flight during startup (first 15sec.) - the artificial horizon (2d) should be straight and leveled?

Many thanks,

Michael
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,718 Posts
I'm sooo.. convinced that Eagletree Guardian is the answer to my prayers (over the last decades) so after much soul searching, I've gone for the full monty Spectrum 8 set ..........ordered it today

I know I said before I'm not willing to fork out for a new Tx but now satisfied that Guardian is the "Future" so making a fresh start...

BTW, I had similar belief about "Electric flying" as the future some quarter of a centuary back ... How true it turned out to be !!!!

JayJ made a note that you're not with Eagletree yet but bet they will head hunt you.soon

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Artificial Horizon At Reset Time

Michael,
The Artificial Horizon (AI) needs to be told what "level" is in your environment. The instructions indicate that there could be mounting errors (sometimes caused by interfering structure) and, as long as they are less than 25o (from memory, manual not close by) from level, then you force the Guardian to "learn" what is level for your particular plane, mounting, etc.

Regardless of whether you reset level via the PC / USB connection or via the 2D-3D-2D (or 3D-2D-3D) in the first 15 seconds, the AI on the software dispay will then snap to level; regardless of what it showed prior to "level reset".

If you position the plane with the AI showing "level", and then do the "reset level", unless the Guardian level and the plane level are identical, subsequently placing the plane on a level surface will cause the Guardian to move the controls to re-position the plane to Guardian level that may, or may not, be plane level.

If your gain is low (POT settings and or Gain channel control), then the amount of deflection will be low as the Guardian tries to bring the plane into "level" as defined by your "level reset".

In summary, I ignore the AI until AFTER I do the level reset with the plane in what I consider a level attitude. If, after the level reset, and not moving the plane, the Guardian moves the control surfaces, then that creep is indicative of either a mounting problem (not in your case, apparently), or temperature, or defect.

Michael
Quote:
Hello Snowflake,
as you correctly assumed the guardian is mounted on a plywood plate, secured with double sided tape and a cable tie. I am still testing the functions - room teperature - the weather here ist too bad to even think about flying. I opened a ticket with Eagletree - lets see where the bug is, i will keep you all posted.

Just one thing, do i understand correctly, that when you reset your level flight during startup (first 15sec.) - the artificial horizon (2d) should be straight and leveled?

Many thanks,

Michael
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Thanks Snowflake -understood.

When my plane is 100 % leveled, i do the reset level with the TX and get as expected the one twitch in the ailerons.

Then, hooking the system up to the PC - I see that the Artificial horizon is no way close to straight (2d)....however...under 3d....it is straight.

Thx,

Michael
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:37 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Inverted Mounting?

Michael,
By any chance, is your Guardian mounted in an inverted position (the AI being different in 2D vis-a-vis 3D mode is the key)?

The reason I ask is because there appears to be a problem (1) if the Guardian is mounted inverted with respect to the plane and (2) if the level reset is performed early (within the first five seconds or so) of the power-up 15-second window.

If that is the case, then try performing the level reset (single twitch) after about 10 seconds, but obviously before the 15 second window. This appears to be a workaround until the firmware is fixed.

That workaround resolved my problem that I documented in previous posts. Quick summary: bird with inverted Guardian, flying fine in 2D mode, but needed to tweak the level setting. Did the reset in about four seconds. Flew around, got into trouble, flipped Guardian into 2D and the plane went into a perfectly level, albeit completely inverted, stable flight. 3D worked perfectly, only 2D affected.

Eagle Tree provided the workaround and zero problems, since.

Michael
Quote:
Thanks Snowflake -understood.

When my plane is 100 % leveled, i do the reset level with the TX and get as expected the one twitch in the ailerons.

Then, hooking the system up to the PC - I see that the Artificial horizon is no way close to straight (2d)....however...under 3d....it is straight.

Thx,

Michael
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:13 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Snowflake,
I have attached 2 pictures to show, how the Guardian was mounted ( took the guardian off yesterday - so the pictures do not show the double sided tape / cable tie).

I cant really tell when I did the level reset - but propably prior to 10sec. - will try this in the afternoon. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Michael,
By any chance, is your Guardian mounted in an inverted position (the AI being different in 2D vis-a-vis 3D mode is the key)?

The reason I ask is because there appears to be a problem (1) if the Guardian is mounted inverted with respect to the plane and (2) if the level reset is performed early (within the first five seconds or so) of the power-up 15-second window.

If that is the case, then try performing the level reset (single twitch) after about 10 seconds, but obviously before the 15 second window. This appears to be a workaround until the firmware is fixed.

That workaround resolved my problem that I documented in previous posts. Quick summary: bird with inverted Guardian, flying fine in 2D mode, but needed to tweak the level setting. Did the reset in about four seconds. Flew around, got into trouble, flipped Guardian into 2D and the plane went into a perfectly level, albeit completely inverted, stable flight. 3D worked perfectly, only 2D affected.

Eagle Tree provided the workaround and zero problems, since.

Michael