SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:25 AM
Joined May 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot05 View Post
Using windows vista, i'm afraid I may have a bad guardian. I applied a ticket to eagle tree support to see what they have to say. I see no reason why soft ware wont run. The fact that I have no LED on guardian scares me ! Thanx for your input.
The LED should blink 3 times pause 3 times pause.... when connected to a computer with the usb cable. I tested this with a new Guardian 2D/3D right out of the box with 2 computers:

- case a) Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ET programs and drivers already installed => Guardian LED started to blink 3 times in series instantly when the cable was connected

- case b) Vista Ultimate 32 bit, with no previous ET installations => Guardian lit the LED on constantly, then after a while 4 blinks, then the drivers started to install automatically, then 3 blinks again in series after driver installation was finished.
FinnCat is offline Find More Posts by FinnCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:39 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,650 Posts
Grantham Kid and JayY - Thanx a lot for your super pronto replies. I'll consider both options. I also think there is big room under the hatch so another tier can be easily built there for ESC or Guardian. That way it'll allow easy access to the Guardian for USB connection ... hmmmmm ...still thinking

@Grantham Kid - I noted you've placed ESC close to the fuz side - does it not get hot?

BTW, I'm going for 1500 mAh 3s cells - that's the smallest pack I've but may even use 2200 mAh eventually. Both pack fits well in the fuz but may have to add weight to get the CofG in the correct place.

I like staying up for ever.... My longest flight had been over four hours which included walking up hills and covering a distance of nearly 5 miles !!! Landed coz could not ignore Tx low batt warning.....

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 09, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:02 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Grantham Kid and JayY - Thanx a lot for your super pronto replies. I'll consider both options.

@Grasntham Kid - I noted you've placed ESC close to the fuz side - does it not get hot?

Cheers
No, I checked it a couple of times after motor runs and it was barely warm. I also have an infrared thermometer for checking my ESCs. However, the motor runs are too short to be working the ESC hard. Most of my launches would be around 10 - 15 seconds. I use 1800 and 2200 3S packs in it.

Billpa will stick to EagleTree discussion from now on... lol
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:05 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
528 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
xxx
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Last edited by goldsworthy; Feb 10, 2013 at 05:10 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:43 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,437 Posts
That's funny
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
The first problem I had of thge unit(s) not applying the correct level of corrective input had not 1 person being able to say why.

The 2nd problem of the usb granted was probably my fault but it still shouldnt have happened. It should have been designed much stronger then it is. I have never broken any other device with usb and it has been admited
that its a weak spot in the design.

Still noone has been able to explain why the 2nd unit went from not working to working without me changing anything , then back to not working again.

Also noone has been able to explain why another club member had one setup
and working whit it failing mid flight almost resulting in a crash.
He has now removed the guardian from his plane.

Instructions arent hard to follow, I'm not a dumbass, clubmembers also couldnt get them working

Im not sure why you stated " to many features" when you have no idea of my setup. I wouldnt have said 2d /off / 3d on the flap switch in a vtail plane is a complicated setup

The way I understood it is basic programing for the TX and all the mixing is done
on the 2d3d unit itsself.

I had the mode switch all working as intended and all correct inputs , outputs were correct when it was working.

The orange 3axis worked better then these units have so far.
Is this so?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:45 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,592 Posts
Maidened the Sukhoi SU 29 today and had the opportunity to try 2D and 3D. Little bit of wind that kept changing direction but you wouldn't know it with the Guardian. All went well but first takeoff was a bit upsy downy as I took off in 2D due to the wind factor. I needed a little up elevator and as soon as I eased off the Guardian levelled the plane. I soon learned to hold up elevator a bit longer before I relaxed. 3D is a different kettle of fish altogether and requires you to 'fly' the plane, but it is rock steady. I made no adjustments from my initial setup as it seemed to be working well. I did 6 flights and took my plane home in one piece. Very Happy.
I actually have a small video uploading to the Sukhoi 29 video file on Hobby King website but as I didn't have a cameraman there is really only the preparation and takeoff to see. You can see the wobbly takeoff.....

Video now uploaded, only had my old JVC camera.
Hobby King Sukhoi SU-29 Maiden Flight.avi (2 min 20 sec)
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Video added
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I tried turn coordination and found it pretty worthless and have not bothered playing with it again.
Why? what didnt work for you?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,650 Posts
Well done Grantham Kid and Congratulations.
I think you should give yourself a big pat in the back ...

Thanx for your info on ESC position in Radian and the fact that it does not get hot is an excellent help for me. So I'll copy your method.

@ JayJ You used DX6 transmitter means you had only two position switch. Am I to assume that you cud only use ON and 2D or 3D?

As to positioning Guardian on a solid and level platform, I've used a false 1/32 ply base. To that I have attached a double sided foam tape. So Guardian has a soft cusion but permanently attached to a solid platform. The platform in turn is screwed (used two screws) to a ply/balsa base on the model. This now gives me the option to remove the Guardian to another model when needed.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The RattleSnake View Post
The first problem I had of the unit(s) not applying the correct level of corrective input had not 1 person being able to say why.

The 2nd problem of the usb granted was probably my fault but it still shouldn't have happened. It should have been designed much stronger then it is. I have never broken any other device with usb and it has been admitted
that its a weak spot in the design.

Still no one has been able to explain why the 2nd unit went from not working to working without me changing anything , then back to not working again.

Also no one has been able to explain why another club member had one setup
and working whit it failing mid flight almost resulting in a crash.
He has now removed the guardian from his plane.

Instructions aren't hard to follow, I'm not a dumbass, club members also couldn't get them working

I'm not sure why you stated " to many features" when you have no idea of my setup. I wouldn't have said 2d /off / 3d on the flap switch in a v tail plane is a complicated setup

The way I understood it is basic programing for the TX and all the mixing is done
on the 2d3d unit itself.

I had the mode switch all working as intended and all correct inputs , outputs were correct when it was working.

The orange 3axis worked better then these units have so far.
BOY you sure have a lot of problems with the Guardian!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
528 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,650 Posts
WOW what a reply JayY.... what can I say Obviously programming is your meat and drink and you're enjoying every bit of it... but the fact remains you're making the Guardian accessible to everyone. That cannot be bad for this hobby.Well done.

Now you've gussed it here comes my "But" I need all the switches that you've confiscated for Guardian. I need gear, flaps and possibly mix switch as well.... I think you've taken DX6i as far as it can go so time to upgrade the Tx or accept slight handicap for not being able to do all that in flight. I think I can live with it.

At this stage, I'm looking to be able to do just 2D or 3D on and Guardian off. I've Futaba FF7. (I'm I've always used Futaba and even for 2.4 I've gone to the dark side )

My Futaba T7C has a three position switch so that's, hopefully, would not be a problem with Guardian. I'm, however, trying to stay with Futaba FF7, if possible.

So what's your suggestion? Is that doable?

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Why? what didnt work for you?
Coordinated turn function didn't perform its intended function. It looked unnantural and felt clumsy. I didn't find I needed that function or feature for the plane I was flying which was a delta plane with elevons and a rudder. Perhaps it would do much better enabled on a standard plane configureation like a CUB.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:52 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
528 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:57 PM.