SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:55 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Thanx Flying-llama for giving me the exact co-orninates of your post - it helped me a lot and the bonus was the Beaver post # 2995 which really wetted my appetite for using Eagletree Guardian in my Beaver. I hope to use them in two or three other precious models which I dare not fly if wind gets higher than 8 nmph. Hopefully I should be able to fly them with less fear of crashing them i.e. risk factor slightly reduced

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Last edited by CurrentDude; Jan 29, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Sorry, this might be a stupid question.....

Would i get any interference problems mounting the Guardian with in 2-3" of a brushless motor ?
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy335touring View Post
Sorry, this might be a stupid question.....

Would i get any interference problems mounting the Guardian with in 2-3" of a brushless motor ?
I have mounted the Guardian within 2 inches with no problem. And it is mounted upside down.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Thanks
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
679 Posts
Hint Not enough Switches

Someone a few posts back said the didn't want to use up a 3 position switch to change modes.

If you have a spare pot (and a spare channel) then you can a Pot to change modes with one end being 2D, the middle being Off and the other end 3D.
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
679 Posts
Aussie Pilots looking for Guardian

Ive just bough my 3rd Guardian unit, they are available in Australia from Mongrelgear here in NSW. Very fast mail-order service.

http://www.mongrelgear.com.au

Disclaimer, I have no relationship with this company beyond being a satisfied online purchaser.
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Sep 2007
205 Posts
Guardian Servo Config

I am in the process tuning my guardian using the available ET PC configurator software. While doing this I came over the problem that the Guardian overriding the servo travel set in my transmitter.

After reading a bit here in the forum, I got a understanding how it must be done
in the guardian servo config menu in the software.

Based on info given here in the forum, I made a spreadsheet, making it easy to translate us values to percentage servo travel.

I have not actual fed the Guardian with this data, but hopefully it is correct.

If it is totally wrong, please notify me someone.

Since I struggled with this, hopefully this is a contribution that will help others meeting struggles with how to limit servo travels on the ET Guardian.

One question I have regarding this, while reducing servo travel, will this affect the rate given for the gyro to operate in?

Will the gyro throw be reduced when decreasing the servo travels?
krvedaa is offline Find More Posts by krvedaa
Last edited by krvedaa; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
379 Posts
Advice please

I am flying in 2D. With Guardian turned off all my deflections work fine and the throws are at the right distances. In 2D everything works fine BUT the rudder does not deflect as far as it does when I have it turned off. How can I get the rudder to deflect farther and still keep the ailerons and elevator deflection the same when it is in 2D mode?
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
I am flying in 2D. With Guardian turned off all my deflections work fine and the throws are at the right distances. In 2D everything works fine BUT the rudder does not deflect as far as it does when I have it turned off. How can I get the rudder to deflect farther and still keep the ailerons and elevator deflection the same when it is in 2D mode?
2D stabailizes the plane. It does limit what you can do. It's the price of stabilization. Fortunately there's 3D mode. It doesn't restrict (or fight) you like 2D.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Is it possible to waterproof this component by submersion in corrosionx? Would this affect the accelerometers? I have a seaplane live near saltwater so I want to go as far as I can with the waterproofing
sprokus is offline Find More Posts by sprokus
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:49 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokus View Post
Is it possible to waterproof this component by submersion in corrosionx? Would this affect the accelerometers? I have a seaplane live near saltwater so I want to go as far as I can with the waterproofing
I have two I waterproofed with ACF-50 (similar to CorrosionX) for use in water planes. They haven't been flow yet but check out just fine.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:29 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Awesome thanks
sprokus is offline Find More Posts by sprokus
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:45 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
how does it work?

Do you need to "train" it to know where level/horizontal is (hold the plane level and hit a button), or does it sense gravity to figure out where horizontal is? Does it need to be placed on the plane such that it is horizontal when the plane is horizontal?

I have the older IR based FMA stabilizer which requires it to be calibrated by holding the plane level. Only have to do it once though (because I leave it on the plane). Only disadvantage of IR is that when the plane is close to the gorund, hills understandably confuse it.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
Do you need to "train" it to know where level/horizontal is (hold the plane level and hit a button), or does it sense gravity to figure out where horizontal is? Does it need to be placed on the plane such that it is horizontal when the plane is horizontal?

I have the older IR based FMA stabilizer which requires it to be calibrated by holding the plane level. Only have to do it once though (because I leave it on the plane). Only disadvantage of IR is that when the plane is close to the gorund, hills understandably confuse it.
Download and read the manual. That would help.

Yes, you have to train the Guardian. That is train it for what level flight is.

Here is simple setup video from Eagletree. Enjoy. It's is just as simple as he shows.

Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer Tutorial (7 min 16 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:21 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Happy to announce my Eagletree Guardian has arrived. Busy reading the manual .

I'm also revamping my STModels foamy Cessna (full function R,A,E & F) as the sacrificial lamb for Guardian. ( I'm sure I'm being a drama king here and reality wudn't be half as bad)

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude