HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Advanced Settings

I need help with the Advanced Settings. On a 3D Foamy, I have the gains set so high that I need to limit the servo travels to prevent damage. I have played with the numbers in Advanced Setting, but am unable to get the servo limits I want.
Could someone please give me a "Step by step" how to procedure?
Thanks
Daler is offline Find More Posts by Daler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:51 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daler View Post
I need help with the Advanced Settings. On a 3D Foamy, I have the gains set so high that I need to limit the servo travels to prevent damage. I have played with the numbers in Advanced Setting, but am unable to get the servo limits I want.
Could someone please give me a "Step by step" how to procedure?
Thanks
I assume you just accidentally mentioned the wrong tab, but if you really are on the "advanced" tab, you are in the wrong place. Limits are set on the "servo config" tab. Unless you are using all digital servos, you should leave the setting on the advanced tab at 50.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
I assume you just accidentally mentioned the wrong tab, but if you really are on the "advanced" tab, you are in the wrong place. Limits are set on the "servo config" tab. Unless you are using all digital servos, you should leave the setting on the advanced tab at 50.
Sorry for the confusion my error caused. You are absolutely correct! I ment to say the Servo Config Tab. I hope someone can give me a step by step procedure to limit my servo travels.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:02 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion my error caused. You are absolutely correct! I ment to say the Servo Config Tab. I hope someone can give me a step by step procedure to limit my servo travels.
I'm not your best guy on this as I've never had a reason to change this but until someone better qualified comes along....

It seems straight forward enough. You turn on the custom ranges, pick your channel. Neutral is about 1500 as I recall, so the closer you set the limits to 1500 the less deflection you get.

What's not working for you?
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
I hope someone can give me a step by step procedure to limit my servo travels.
I'll try. Hopefuly you've set up your control surface movents in your tx and hopefully you have the most you want your servos/control surfaces to move established. Hi-rate in dual rates as 100%.

Look at your servos travels for each channel. "Normal" is -100% to 100%, 0 as the mid point. This corresponds to "numbers" of 1100 to 1900, 1500 as the mid-point on the servo config tab screen. If your travel is set as -125% to 125% the numbers to limit Guardian to that amount would be 1000 to 2000. 1500 is still the midpoint. -150% to 150% would be 900 to 2100.

100% to Guardian is 400. The mid point, 1500, +/- 100%, +/-400, is 1100 to 1900.

125% travel is 400 x 125% = 500. So 1500 (the mid point) +/- 500 is 1000 to 2000 in Guardian.

Hopefully that's understandable as a start. All this is doing is telling Guardian it can't move the servos/control surfaces more than the numbers you specify. Keeps from hurting parts.

When using Guardian in "Direct Rate Mode" your stick inputs don't move the control surfaces a given amount like you're used to. They just tell Guardian you want a certain response from the plane. Guardian moves the servos/control surfaces the amount it needs to give the plane response you "asked" for.

Hopefully this makes sense, and there is a bit more to it.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Last edited by t.edwards; Jan 27, 2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: sp
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Thank You

Thank you both for your prompt and very helpfull replies!
Daler
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
I'll try.

servo travel stuff here

Hopefully this makes sense, and there is a bit more to it.
I am not the person who asked, but your response has clarified something that I have really wanted to understand!

I continue to update/correct/improve my Guardian notes. This all helps.

Each month at our Club Meeting, we have a Workshop session. I plan to do a presentation on stabilizers, Guardian in particular, at an upcoming meeting. In order to do this, I hope to have good information,vbe able to convey it, be prepares to help other implement what I have learned, etc. I also have plans for my own uses of Guardian, in particular. Every time someone posts in here, it helps.

I do not expect ET to have all of the answers to all of our question - at least not in a perfect form that every listener gets total clarification. I thank them for at least listening to their customers and trying hard to respond!

Deerslayer is offline Find More Posts by Deerslayer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:48 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
A while back I posted a question about a previously working Guardian, when the model was flying in 3D and I switched to 2D, abruptly went inverted (perfectly level, just inverted.)

It turns out that this is a potential bug that will be corrected in a future firmware release.

APPARENT CAUSE: The Guardian is mounted inverted in the belly of my model (so the pots are still readily accessible) AND a "level/trim reset" (AKA single toggle between 2D/3D) takes place EARLY in the 15 second window. Early appears to be roughly within the first four or five seconds, IIRC.

WORKAROUND: Wait 'till near the end of the 15 second window (I've been waiting 'till just past 10 seconds) and then perform the toggle/level reset.

This seems to work, but the first time it happened, and I was able to repeat it, at the field, it sure increased my pucker factor. Fortunately, I was three mistakes high and when I messed up a maneuver and switched on 2D, rolling to level, albeit inverted, was OK, just disconcerting. :-)

On the bench, before resetting level near the END of the window, placing the model in a upright, level, attitude, then switching on the Guardian in 2D mode, would immediately displace the ailerons as it attempted to roll to an incorrect inverted level position. If I manually rolled the plane inverted, the ailerons neutralized...

I was grateful for EagleTree support when this happened. Apparently, when first setting up the model, I was slow in toggling the reset and hence I inadvertently was following the "workaround". After a few flights, I wanted to reset both trims and level, but this time I apparently was much quicker... :-)

Michael
interesting, I mounted mine inverted on the belly also and the level/trim reset was acting funny also. The fix for me seemed to be when I toggled it as quick as I could after powerup....botom line, always test it after reset just holding it level with throttle off and 3 mistakes high in the air!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,914 Posts
maidened the 2D/3D in an ol dog eared clanky pushrod bird today:
this thing is the shizzle!

edit: didn't mean to offend with cheating / not right comments.....I was just awed at how well it worked!

Guardian 2D/3D stuffed into an old Q260 foamie for maiden (12 min 36 sec)
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gatorb8; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
679 Posts
Just ordered Guardian No. 3

I have just placed an order to buy my third Guardian, I am so impressed with how well and how easy to setup and use the Guardian is.

The 3rd one will go into a new Electrifly Cirrus 22 kit I have just ordered as my second scale build.

The original is installed in a E-Flite Apprentice trainer, the second one is installed in my new E-Flite Scale DeHavilland DH2 Beaver.

I love being the only pilot at my local club field who actually enjoys the fun of flying in strong and gusty winds when everyone else is packing up and going home.

The only downside (if there is one) is that I went out and upgraded from Spektrum DX7s to a DX8 so I could gain an extra spare channel and another 3 position switch for use with aircraft that have more servos and still be able to use the Guardians mode and gain channels.

I would highly recommend Eagletree's Guardian to every pilot, no matter how good you are, having the 2D mode can be a lifesaver in sticky situations but is also useful if you want to let a newby have a fly or you simply need a "autopilot" while you get dust out of your eye or need to be otherwise distracted for a moment or two.
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:20 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
634 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:37 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
634 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:15 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post

I got my first Guardian installed in my Parkzone Radian this weekend. .
How did you install it when the Radian effectivly uses the rudder as an aleron?
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:22 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I am starting to build my Freewing SU35 its a expensive plane for sure!. The Guardian will be installed in this plane for my piece of mind. I hope my 8 channel reciever will be enough to use both the Gaurdian and all the stuff on the 35.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
634 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM.