SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,738 Posts
Deleted . Best to wait and see.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
I got to see the Guardian 2d/3d at the Toledo show. I went ahead and pre-ordered one with plans on putting it in a PA AMR Ultimate.

ET also had the software running on a laptop, and I was able to see the current parameters available to us in the General/2d/3d/advance tabs. It is a unit that is currently programmed for winged aircraft. Not a heli gyro, and not an fbl unit. It is for airplanes, but in addition it also had a check button for multi-rotor! It does have more features than the FY30A, and it is USA based, and I got to annoy Bill with a bunch of questions.

Also got to see Spektrums DX18, and it had software specific remote prameters for two aircraft gyros, and some other associated settings. Didn't have much time to play with it though. There maybe an as3x type parkfyer and full range rx in the near future. I asked a few reps, but they just shrugged their shoulders and said anything is possible.

I'm going to post the pics I took based on the fact that it was on public display.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Apr 14, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
EverydayFlyer,
Quote:
had Flaperons enabled in the DX7 for the duel ail. servos in the Lil-Banchee for the first Guardian flights and only had 2D and 3D but then made and installed a Y-harness so that I could turn off Flaperon mix and use the 3 pos. switch for the Guardian.
There is a possible solution to this problem but not sure if it will become a reality or not.
We talked about this here on Monday, and it's definitely planned for the release!

Silverexpress, it was good to chat with you at the show (and the others I got to meet!).

PS: I should mention that that's a micro-Stryker for those who were not at the show. The Guardian is not the size of a deck of cards.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:28 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Got 3 overpowered birds waiting on this unit to be released

Late Spring is so far away

FCA

In the meanwhile has any one figured out how to used the side lever on a JR9505 to cycle off/2D/3D
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
Flaperons

I've searched this thread but I'm still confused about the Guardian and flaperons (two separate servos driving left and right ailerons). I'm building a plane now and considering using full span flaperons but I'd also like to control it with the Guardian. Is that possible or not, i.e. in addition to rudder and elevator will it drive two aileron servos without a Y-cable?
TP715 is offline Find More Posts by TP715
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
505 Posts
One question. I currently use a gyro on a number of tail tragers for take off. I use heading hold mode during the takeoff switching the gryo off as soon as the plane leaves the ground. During the takeoff run the tail rises due to speed, I feed in up elevator when the plane reaches takeoff speed. Will 3D mode hold the tail on the ground causing a premature takeoff? Will I have to force the tail up during the run? 2D mode will not help since I assume it just rights the plane. Turning the Guardian off will cause me to loose the benifts of the gyro control on takeoff. Again the question: what is the effect of taking off a tail drager in 3D mode?

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Got 3 overpowered birds waiting on this unit to be released

Late Spring is so far away

FCA

In the meanwhile has any one figured out how to used the side lever on a JR9505 to cycle off/2D/3D
If you mean the Flight Mode 3 Position Switch, then you can but you have to enable flight modes and tie gyro gain values to the flight mode switch position you want. This can also set flap levels and expo/rates per mode. I have a 9503 too!

I want one of these for my FPV Sky Surfer.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
If you mean the Flight Mode 3 Position Switch, then you can but you have to enable flight modes and tie gyro gain values to the flight mode switch position you want. This can also set flap levels and expo/rates per mode. I have a 9503 too!

I want one of these for my FPV Sky Surfer.

No i was talking about the slider on the side of the radio, to cycle thru Off/2D/3D.

I use the flight mode 3 way switch for various throws, ie N = Hight rates for launch and landing, FM1 = Low rates for normal flying around, FM2 = Ulra low rates for High speed passes

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP715 View Post
I've searched this thread but I'm still confused about the Guardian and flaperons (two separate servos driving left and right ailerons). I'm building a plane now and considering using full span flaperons but I'd also like to control it with the Guardian. Is that possible or not, i.e. in addition to rudder and elevator will it drive two aileron servos without a Y-cable?

With DX7 with Flaperons enabled you can not use the Flap /3Pos. Sw. for the Guarduian thus why I changed to a Y -cable for thre duel Ails. I have requested another Wing mix. in the Guardian and that is what Bill mentoined in his post above.

Charles
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,738 Posts
Quote:
No i was talking about the slider on the side of the radio, to cycle thru Off/2D/3D.
If the Slider can drive a servo from center (Off) to full CC and full CCW then yes.

Charles
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,738 Posts
landeck

In 3D mode the Guardian only holds last position of the aircraft when (if)sticks are centered.You have comple control or you can let Guardian maintain heading and keeping wings level.
It will hold the takeoff heading (rudder) if there is a cross wind or motor torgue, the Elev. will be completely under your control . Guardian will also control Ails. to keep aircraft level.

I have performed many take offs and landing in 3D mode and the Guardian make it easier but does not interfer in any way.

Snip from an earlier post of mine.

Quote:
As I mentioned in an earlier post in this kind of wind the Lil Banchee use to stay in the vehicle, remember this thing is just barely over 7 oz. per sq.ft. wing loading and without stabilization gets blow around in gusty winds to the point that while I can fly it I hate the pucker factor when it comes to landing it. All of the landing this morning were picture perfect with very little effort on my part.
Quote:
2D mode will not help since I assume it just rights the plane.
2D maintains straight and level flight if you center (release) the sticks. You could use 2D for take off and only use the elevator as in up to plant the tail then relax stick until takeoff speed is reached then up to takeoff. I find 3D mode a lot more natural however.
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 18, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,738 Posts
Trying to get the most programing wise is going to be interesting for many of us. I spent many hours trying different mixes on the DX7 and decided that it was just impossible to have Transmitter System Flaperons for duel Ali. servos and anything but 2D and 3D for the Guardian on the Gear switch.

When I put a Guardian in one of my larger planes most likely I will use one of my Ace MicroPro 8000 Transmitters that way I will not be so limited.These Radios are 20 plus years old and still more advanced in most ways than the latest and greatest ones.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 20, 2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: changed 30 to 20
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
After flying this a handfull of more times it just keeps amazing me I can hover,KE, w/o help but its nice to be able to cut it off to see how much it can help you out.

It remembers last thing you was doing in 3d mode. I played with this other day
I put plane in hover. then lowered the throttle to where it could not hold a hover it fly mostly straght as it could while wanting to go back to a hover as soon as i gave half or more throttle it poped right back into a hover. amazing.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,738 Posts
Guardian 2D/3D basic programing.

Let me try and explain setting in simple terms.
Guardian goes between receiver and control surface servos.

Spektrum DX7 with 6Channel receiver ( as many have this one).

Rec. Thro. connects to ESC
Rec. Alie. to G. 2D/3D Alie. (this is a 3 lead standard servo lead and supplies power)
Rec. Rudder to G. 2D/3D Rudder
Rec. Gear can be used . to select 2 of the 3 flight modes.
Rec. Aux.1 can be used as second Aile. output but requires System Flaperons to be enabled which caputers the Flap Mix. 3 pos. Sw.,
G 2D/3D has two special inputs which connect to receiver channels.
1 is the 2D -Off - 3D Mode selection.

-100% (1.1m) =2D

0% (1.5 ms) = Off

+ 100% (1.9ms) = 3D
Note: + / - are dependent on servo direction settings.
Initial Guardian set up for straight level flight (mode 2) requires toggling Transmitter output from one extreme to the other. Reseting Trims memory requires toggling also.

Second special input remote is over all gain.

2D mode active Master gain (Transmitter slider,knob etc.)

-100% Off
-100% to 0% Medium stabilization.
-0% to + 100% Maximun stabilization.

Note: If external overall gain is not used the default is 40%.
Also A default of 2D or 3D can be set so selection by Transmitter is not required.

Above is accurate to the best of my somewhat limited knowledge / experience.

OT Anyone else noticed that since Silverexpress 's aphots are unavailable their computer is acting flakey,screen flashing?

Update OK now they are back for me also and things seem normal.Thur . 11:56 AM

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 20, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post

OT Anyone else noticed that since Silverexpress 's aphots are unavailable their computer is acting flakey,screen flashing?

Charles
No. Originally the pics had missing parts in upper left when enlarged. Now OK. My MAC is functioning as usual.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN