HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,917 Posts
That works great Tudball. I'll buy you a beer! I found my Pit Trim pot is dicky on centre. Will assign gain to Hov Throttle I guess. Cheers
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
How to program a 9x tx for Eagle Tree Guardian.

Here is how I did it. I'm sure there are other ways so you may want to experiment. First go to your AUX-CH and on channel 7 select gear. Next go to MIX 1: State ACT, Master AUX, Slave FLP, OFFSET 000, UPRATE 100, DNRATE 000, SW NOR* MIX 2: STATE ACT, MASTER AUX, SLAVE FLP, OFFSET 000, UPRATE 000, DNRATE 000, SW OFF* MIX 3: STATE ACT, MASTER AUX, SLAVE FLP, OFFSET 000, UPRATE -100, DNRATE 000, SW ID2. This setup will place 2D in the first position (up), middle will be off and down will be 3D. To place 3D at the top switch the UPRATES VALUES ON MIX 1 AND 3. Oh, leave AUX channel 6 on NULL. I am not certain but I think the FLP Slave work through that channel. Good Luck. Please note that the UPRATE values on Mix 1 and 3. Once you get the switch working you might want to experiment where you assign the master mix, especially if you have retractable landing gear. I assigned the gain to channel 8 and mapped it to PIT Trim knob. Good Luck.
Tudball is offline Find More Posts by Tudball
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,917 Posts
Yes I noticed Ch 6 was mixed in somehow but can't find a way to stop it working unless I null it. I would like to have used that channel as well. Starting to see the light slowly. slow learner.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Apr 2011
211 Posts
Just about to install my first guardian, I know this may well be a difficult question to answer but I would like to know an appropiate / approximate gain pot position for a sport aerobatic plane with digital servo's
I intend to use master overall gain control so I guess i need a starting point, the problem is further compounded as the position of the guardian makes it nigh on impossible to get back to the pots if is is a mile out to start with.

Thanks
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
UPDATE......How to program your 9x tx for Eagle Tree Guardian. I forgot to mention that you plug your mode lead into channel 6 on your receiver.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Has anyone used a stock standard 9X Tx with their EagleTree Guardian? Just having trouble working out a Gyro on/off and how to get the 3 position switch going to select 2D/3D modes.
You will need to use 2 of the pots for controlling the Guardian.

Use a pot for the mode, full left 2d, center off & full right 3d mode. You cannot configure the 3 pos switch for this purpose with the stock firmware. (apparently you can reading another post)!

You have 2 options.

1) Replace one of the Pots with a 3 Way switch from Radio shack you will require 2 4.8K ohn resisters as well. Easy modification and or
2) Upgrade the firmware to er9x. Which is 10 times better than the stock firmware in every function.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
hendrnk, don't tell my transmitter it won't work because so far it is working perfectly.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrik View Post

Use a pot for the mode, full left 2d, center off & full right 3d mode. You cannot configure the 3 pos switch for this purpose with the stock firmware. (apparently you can reading another post)!

You have 2 options.

1) Replace one of the Pots with a 3 Way switch from Radio shack you will require 2 4.8K ohm resisters as well. Easy modification and or
2) Upgrade the firmware to er9x. Which is 10 times better than the stock firmware in every function.
so the 9X doesn't work to well with the Guardian huh?. That's bad news for me as I bought 2 Guardians and was planing on installing them in two planes but I only own a 9X radio!. I don't have the fancy 9X software its just a stock 9X with FriSky installed. Can someone please recommend a radio that does work with the Guardian? I only have $400.00 that I can spend on a new radio. I would rather use my 9X but if forced to I can buy something else
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
Just about to install my first guardian, I know this may well be a difficult question to answer but I would like to know an appropiate / approximate gain pot position for a sport aerobatic plane with digital servo's
I intend to use master overall gain control so I guess i need a starting point, the problem is further compounded as the position of the guardian makes it nigh on impossible to get back to the pots if is is a mile out to start with.

Thanks
It is difficult to say. The fact that you have a remote gain is a big help as you will be able to make some adjustments on the fly, but you can't adjust the relative gain without access to the individual pots. On the three sport planes I have, all three seemed to encounter oscillation on the ailerons more so than the others. If you hope not to have to remove the Guardian for adjustments later you could go with aileron at about 40% of max and the others at about 60%. On my planes these settings would be conservative. Aggressive settings would be 70% and 100% which would occasionally require me to back off the master, this is about where mine are set.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post

You have 2 options.

1) Replace one of the Pots with a 3 Way switch from Radio shack you will require 2 4.8K ohn resisters as well. Easy modification and or
I thought of changing a couple of the pots for 3 way switches and the Pit Trim will be first to go because it has a faulty centering. Very erratic. I have probably got some resistors amongst my treasures somewhere. I have used Tudballs settings for the 3 way switch and the servo does switch to 3 different positions. I think that should work OK. My Guardian must be very close to delivery, it's been a week since they told me it was sent. I will take my other gyro out of the Trojan and fit the Guardian in that or buy a sport model to play around with.
Thanks for the info on the resistors. I was going to measure the pots to see what I required.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
so the 9X doesn't work to well with the Guardian huh?. That's bad news for me as I bought 2 Guardians and was planing on installing them in two planes but I only own a 9X radio!. I don't have the fancy 9X software its just a stock 9X with FriSky installed. Can someone please recommend a radio that does work with the Guardian? I only have $400.00 that I can spend on a new radio. I would rather use my 9X but if forced to I can buy something else
Upgrade it.
A SmartieParts "No Solder" board is only $40.00 and Er9x is free.
That is lot less than $400.00! And very powerful to booth. You also keep your FrSky module and you can make the Guardian do anything it is capable of.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:54 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Nov 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
And what are the costs of those competitors' products? I applaud Eagle Tree for keeping the value proposition of the Guardian
I am refering mainly to this product from FeiYu products. The price is almost the same and the features are much more advanced. I couls have bought it instead of the guardian but I was a bit concerned with the weight for my current application, and also wondering if the setup is not too complex to deal with. But in fact I don t know.

http://www.bevrc.com/fydos-inertial-...izer_p493.html

This device has mainly all the features we can dream about, including the possibility to add a gps and then offer all the corresponding possibilities including return to home, and even without, it does include a barometer and with it the altitude management, which is also missing to the guardian.
Mackens is offline Find More Posts by Mackens
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Upgrade it.
A SmartieParts "No Solder" board is only $40.00 and Er9x is free.
That is lot less than $400.00! And very powerful to booth. You also keep your FrSky module and you can make the Guardian do anything it is capable of.
Sounds easy! but I lack the skills to do these modifacations. I have the money but they dont sell a 9X with all these mods allready done
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Nov 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Great! I'm glad it's working well for you, I love mine. Both of these points have been made to ET before, In fact I have made them myself. Hopefully they will make some changes at some point. Since we are on the topic, here's my current wish list:
  • A method of adjusting the level setting other than just resetting it.
  • An altimeter implementing a hard-ceiling/hard-floor.
  • A gps return home function.
  • Gimbal functionality
  • A failsafe where loss of signal switches Guardian into 2D with control presets or engaging altitude hold and return home if available.
  • For a future model, bluetooth PC connect with iOS & Android apps for field settings.
  • An option, perhaps set in the PC software, to use a single channel for gain and mode, similar to a HH gyro.
  • The PC software should be accessible with no Guardian plugged in. It's sometimes desirable to explore options or check existing settings without digging a Guardian out of a plane.
Again, this device seems to offer many of the above
http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=29

Do you guys had the chance to test it for comparison ?
Mackens is offline Find More Posts by Mackens
Last edited by Mackens; Jan 18, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo mistake
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Sounds easy! but I lack the skills to do these modifacations. I have the money but they dont sell a 9X with all these mods allready done
Actually, they do sell a modded 9X. I will find the link and post it.

Edit. These folks used too but now do the upgrades. Not the fellow I was thinking of and I have taken his link from my favourites.
Just have to search for him.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:02 PM.