HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:03 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I just got a FPV Raptor and as you might guess, the factory servos are just junk!. I am replacing them and wanted to know if the servos in my provided link here will work ok with the Guardian? Please get back to me ASAP I want to get these before stock is gone! THANKS! link here- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19678
Unless you specifically want digital servos, the HXT 900 is far more popular.
I have quite a few of them and they are a great little servo. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html
Also used this one, only 5mm longer but a lot more torque. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5kg_0_14s.html

I haven't used the one you are looking at.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Unless you specifically want digital servos, the HXT 900 is far more popular.
I have quite a few of them and they seem very reliable. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Servo.html

I haven't used the one you are looking at.
I have 40 new HXT 900s in a box here I could use as well I just thought the digital ones would be better
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,820 Posts
LOL start using them goldsworthy. It doesn't seem to matter too much but I have a thing about not mixing analogue and digital servos in the same airframe. Use one or the other. Just my thoughts.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
LOL start using them goldsworthy. It doesn't seem to matter too much but I have a thing about not mixing analogue and digital servos in the same airframe. Use one or the other. Just my thoughts.
With a Guardian on board that's a good idea. With all digital servos you can bump up the frame rate but if there is an analog servo on board it can fry. Some people have reported higher frame rates allow a higher gain setting without oscillation.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
ians
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
servos will not reverse

Hi All
Just finished installing my guardian. The servos are working in the wrong direction when controlled from the tx and the guardian pots will not reverse them. I don't have any servos reversed via the tx.
The guardian is mounted upside down (low wing plane) but pointing in the correct direction.
I am only routing signal through the guardian, power being fed to the servos directly.
Any ideas please?
Thanks, Ian S
ijstans is offline Find More Posts by ijstans
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
With a Guardian on board that's a good idea. With all digital servos you can bump up the frame rate but if there is an analog servo on board it can fry. Some people have reported higher frame rates allow a higher gain setting without oscillation.
Hobby King just stocked up their U.S. warehouse with lots of goodies at cheap prices. I bought 40 units of those digital servos for a little over $3.00 each. Now you go to your local hobby shop and try to buy digital servos for less than $15.00 each. I know the Raptor takes only 5 servos but at the cheap price I got many more just for spares. These srevos must be better quality servos than the no name ones that came in my Raptor from the factory.

I am wondering how these expensive local hobby shops are not going under because of the Hobby King competition!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijstans View Post
The servos are working in the wrong direction when controlled from the tx and the guardian pots will not reverse them.
The pots control the direction Guardian moves the control surfaces in response to airplane motion(s).

The transmitter settings control the direction the control surfaces move in response to tx stick movement(s).

Have you read the instructions or gone to ETs' site and watched the video?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Last edited by t.edwards; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:36 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,601 Posts
Stabilizers and Servo's

Beware of the fact that the Guardian will make your servos work hard with continuous very small adjustments, thus increasing the current draw. Using a separate BEC, not the ESC based one, is very good idea.
This for analogs. Do not know if true for digitals.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:00 PM
ians
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
The pots control the direction Guardian moves the control surfaces in responce to airplane motion(s).

The transmitter settings control the direction the control surfaces move in response to tx stick movement(s).

Have you read the instructions or gone to ETs' site and watched the video?
Thanks for that. Yes I have done all the reading including all the posts whilst waiting for my guardian - somewhere along the line I got it into my head that servo direction was allways altered via the guardian. - put it down to my being in my mid 70s - and having a seniors moment:-)))
However, now the bad news. In setting up as per video the aerolons allways crept to nearly full deflection after turning on the guardian. I tried cycling the switch witin the 15 seconds but that did nothing. After 3 attempts the guardian ceased to work - servos won't even work via the transmitter. The transmitter is OK.
I think somehow I have managed to stuff it and guess I need to start talking to eagletree themselver.
Regards, Ian S
ijstans is offline Find More Posts by ijstans
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:21 AM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,820 Posts
Has anyone used a stock standard 9X Tx with their EagleTree Guardian? Just having trouble working out a Gyro on/off and how to get the 3 position switch going to select 2D/3D modes.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Beware of the fact that the Guardian will make your servos work hard with continuous very small adjustments, thus increasing the current draw. Using a separate BEC, not the ESC based one, is very good idea.
This for analogs. Do not know if true for digitals.
I have read this as well and the increased servo use caused by using the Guardian makes sense to me. Up graded servos on these planes you buy out of China makes sense anyway. I am building a FPV Raptor at this time. I am taking out ALL the no label cheap servos the Raptor comes with and replacing them with digital servos all around. + I buy 5-9 extra servos just to have spares. HK has servos of good quality and the price of their higher end digital servos are in the UNDER $4.00 range. I know Digital servos use more lipo power than analog servos do but I want reliability!. My local shop sells the same servos for much higher than HK. My local shop wanted $14.35 each! I think I paid $3.50 each from HK. I got them from the U.S. wearhouse so fast shipping as well. And yes a seperate BEC for power is a must have! the BECs HK sells work much better and provide much higher power than a ESC does for sure. I also think that your ESC doesent work as hard if its not powering the servos as such it will run cooler
Last edited by goldsworthy; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, IL, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Go to Hobby King Eagle Tree Guardian discussions. I have posted instructions there on how to program 9x tx.
Tudball is offline Find More Posts by Tudball
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,820 Posts
Thanks Tudball
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudball View Post
go to hobby king eagle tree guardian discussions. I have posted instructions there on how to program 9x tx.
link please!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
link please!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tabilizer.html

It's about halfway down the discussions. Just search for "9x" on the page once you display all the discussions.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum