HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:05 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackens View Post
Only 2 things I regret,

- Eagle Tree should set a new function to trim the 2d level mode in flight, as some of their competitors do as it is very difficult to get a perfect level flight attitude recordd when set on the ground !!! Bad point.
- then I also regret they do not offer any gps option such as their competitors including return to home option.
And what are the costs of those competitors' products? I applaud Eagle Tree for keeping the value proposition of the Guardian so high.

I assume you're mainly referring to the roll axis with respect the 2D mode; the pitch axis angle for straight and level flight will depend on airspeed.

If you read the manual, there is an Accessory port and they're requesting suggestions for its use. Maybe that's the interface through which a GPS unit could connect eventually.

Quote:
Thanks to you all for the 183 pages I read on this forum topic !!!!!
And I've barely scratched the surface of those posts. My Guardian should arrive Thursday and it's going in a ParkZone P-51D BL. I'm also taking the opportunity to try flaperons on that model; the gyro stabilization should help with elevator adjustments when I drop the flaps.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:13 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackens View Post
- Eagle Tree should set a new function to trim the 2d level mode in flight, as some of their competitors do as it is very difficult to get a perfect level flight attitude recordd when set on the ground !!! Bad point.
- then I also regret they do not offer any gps option such as their competitors including return to home option.
Great! I'm glad it's working well for you, I love mine. Both of these points have been made to ET before, In fact I have made them myself. Hopefully they will make some changes at some point. Since we are on the topic, here's my current wish list:
  • A method of adjusting the level setting other than just resetting it.
  • An altimeter implementing a hard-ceiling/hard-floor.
  • A gps return home function.
  • Gimbal functionality
  • A failsafe where loss of signal switches Guardian into 2D with control presets or engaging altitude hold and return home if available.
  • For a future model, bluetooth PC connect with iOS & Android apps for field settings.
  • An option, perhaps set in the PC software, to use a single channel for gain and mode, similar to a HH gyro.
  • The PC software should be accessible with no Guardian plugged in. It's sometimes desirable to explore options or check existing settings without digging a Guardian out of a plane.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:20 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,065 Posts
Great List

I love the list.

For folks with receivers capable of failsafe options, it is possible to have the unit go into 2D mode by setting the failsafe at the time of binding.

That's what I've done for my Spektrum receivers (higher channel Rx appear to have preset failsafe capability; just pull the bind plug before turning on Tx and have 2D switch set properly before turning on Tx in bind mode.)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Great! I'm glad it's working well for you, I love mine. Both of these points have been made to ET before, In fact I have made them myself. Hopefully they will make some changes at some point. Since we are on the topic, here's my current wish list:
  • A method of adjusting the level setting other than just resetting it.
  • An altimeter implementing a hard-ceiling/hard-floor.
  • A gps return home function.
  • Gimbal functionality
  • A failsafe where loss of signal switches Guardian into 2D with control presets or engaging altitude hold and return home if available.
  • For a future model, bluetooth PC connect with iOS & Android apps for field settings.
  • An option, perhaps set in the PC software, to use a single channel for gain and mode, similar to a HH gyro.
  • The PC software should be accessible with no Guardian plugged in. It's sometimes desirable to explore options or check existing settings without digging a Guardian out of a plane.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I love the list.

For folks with receivers capable of failsafe options, it is possible to have the unit go into 2D mode by setting the failsafe at the time of binding.

That's what I've done for my Spektrum receivers (higher channel Rx appear to have preset failsafe capability; just pull the bind plug before turning on Tx and have 2D switch set properly before turning on Tx in bind mode.)

Michael
Snow, just so I'm sure I understand what your saying...I put the bind plug in rx and power it up. Then I pull bind plug, put switch in 2D position and turn radio (DX8) on in bind mode? Doing this will set rx to have the 2D mode as the failsafe position? Thanks.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
My Guardian should arrive Thursday and it's going in a ParkZone P-51D BL. I'm also taking the opportunity to try flaperons on that model; the gyro stabilization should help with elevator adjustments when I drop the flaps.
I recently installed one in a Parkzone P-47. I haven't much time on it yet but it works great. It corrects fine for flaps and gear.

Perhaps I should mention that this plane crashed badly on its maiden flight with a complete loss of control. I believe it was caused by brownout. The OEM ESC is rated for 6-7 servos. With the flaps and gear options the plane has effectively 8 servos. Also having a Guardian making constant small adjustments isn't helping. I installed a Castle BEC and haven't seen a problem since.

Suspecting a possible problem even before the first flight I installed a Tattletail to monitor voltage. In one of my dumbest moves of all time, however, I was so bummed out about the crash that I unplugged the battery before I thought to check it so I lost the opportunity to verify the voltage condition after the crash. With the Castle BEC installed, the Tattletail reports the voltage is solid.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,065 Posts
Failsafe BInd

Correct, as long as your Rx can handle that particular failsafe binding. The instruction slip that comes with the Rx usually describes the two methods (leave bind plug in = leave controls in last state, remove bind plug = set controls to position established at binding.) I forget the terms for the two, but I've noticed that my latest Spektrum receivers all have that dual capability.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Snow, just so I'm sure I understand what your saying...I put the bind plug in rx and power it up. Then I pull bind plug, put switch in 2D position and turn radio (DX8) on in bind mode? Doing this will set rx to have the 2D mode as the failsafe position? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,052 Posts
Quote:
Correct, as long as your Rx can handle that particular failsafe binding. The instruction slip that comes with the Rx usually describes the two methods (leave bind plug in = leave controls in last state, remove bind plug = set controls to position established at binding.) I forget the terms for the two, but I've noticed that my latest Spektrum receivers all have that dual capability.

Michael
Thanks Snow. I've been setting up my Habu 32 with the guardian using the instructions you pm'd me and everything is going well...I think...lol. Where did you mount the guardian in your Habu?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:59 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
I love the list.

Michael
Thanks.

I intended to do that with my Spektrum receivers. What I found out, however, is that failsafe support on Spektrum receivers is very spotty. They pretty much all have "SmartSafe" which will see you safely and promptly to the site of the crash. Actual preset failsafe exists only in a few models which do not include my 7 or 8 channel receivers. They used to have it in one 6 channel but they discontinued it. It is currently in at least one 7 and 9 channel receivers.

I find it very frustrating that the only way to tell for sure which receivers have it is to read the PDF instruction manual. They don't provide a table of features for their receivers, their FAQ list is hopelessly disorganized and out of date, and even their feature descriptions do not always identify it when present. It's also frustrating that all their "DumbSafe" receivers store all the preset data when bound but they only apply the preset positions if the receiver is powered up without a transmitter signal, once the transmitter is turned on and linked they ignore the stored data and instead hold last position.

Failsafe could be implemented in Guardian and it would then work for all receivers, even cheap 4 channel or Chinese receivers. Guardian can't help with the throttle but some receivers with without attitude presets do have throttle preset. It makes sense to be in the Guardian since it it the perfect device to recover from a signal loss condition. Not many planes have a reasonable chance of recovery from stored presets, but all Guardian equipped planes do, so it would be an excellent feature to implement there and a good selling point.

As you can see, I'm a bit down on Spektrum right now and wondering why spend premium prices for such questionable support and features. My last two receiver purchases were Orange. They don't support presets either but for $6 each, I can afford some glue.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
354 Posts
Thanks ChooChoo22! Finally got it set up. Could not have done it without your help.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,956 Posts
Yup, makes you wonder why there are so many Spektrum fans out there sometimes. I switched to FrSky from Spektrum and have not looked back.

Sorry, back to the main topic!
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:29 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
Thanks ChooChoo22! Finally got it set up. Could not have done it without your help.
Glad I could help. I didn't provide very much help so you must have had a good understanding to begin with.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
[Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,065 Posts
Guardian in a Habu 32 EDF

My mounting isn't ideal, but it works quite well.

Specifically, it is mounted to the right of the nosewheel steering servo, with the pots and USB socket accessible when the canopy is removed. I may have had to glue a small plywood platform to bridge some formers, but not positive; it's been a while and trouble-free. Right now, because of the snow on the ground, it is hanging about 10' up (Z-Stack system) and will remain there 'till Spring. :-)

The reason I say "isn't ideal" is because the Guardian unit is mounted several inches in front of the CG as well as about an inch and one-half to the right of the CG. In a previous response to another post, I had indicated mounting my Guardian quite a bit offset from the CG with no problems; this is the "worst" case bird. Usually, I am close to the CG, but I don't sweat it after seeing how well it performs; even when mounted in less than ideal position.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Thanks Snow. I've been setting up my Habu 32 with the guardian using the instructions you pm'd me and everything is going well...I think...lol. Where did you mount the guardian in your Habu?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Yup, makes you wonder why there are so many Spektrum fans out there sometimes. I switched to FrSky from Spektrum and have not looked back.

Sorry, back to the main topic!
One partial reason: when flying ultra-micros (many with 3 axis gyros), one is stuck using the protocol being used by the ultra-micro's brick (combo Rx, ESC, servos, often gyros).
With planes, most ultra-micros that I know of use DSM2.
With heli's, there are a number of popular choices: DSM2, FlySky (Turnigy), and Walkera (which has an older WK and a new Devo protocol).

At the moment, the ultra micro quad copters (all with 3 axis gyros) seem really popular.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:06 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Yup, makes you wonder why there are so many Spektrum fans out there sometimes.
Three words: Bind and fly.

I going to try out an OrangeRX R710 in my P-51. It's kind of a unique animal: it supports both Spektrum and S-Bus, not that the S-Bus does any good in this application. I mainly just need a 7-channel receiver to take full advantage of the Guardian and the only 7+ channel ones Spektrum produces now are a bit too large.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum