HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:38 PM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
903 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys - I do have another spare Ch5. so possibly i could hook that up as 2d/3d switching..
one more dumb question though - in order to accomplish that - which lead do i plug to Ch5 - I'm assuming Aux as I dont have a rotary control so not using Gain.
sorry for the dumb questions but it's not so clear in the manual.

I'm putting it in a 1400 span GeeBee R3 that I'd prefer not to plant

thanks again

hmm tried either configuration - no dice - can't get it setup as switchable - hmm
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Last edited by lud; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys - I do have another spare Ch5. so possibly i could hook that up as 2d/3d switching..
one more dumb question though - in order to accomplish that - which lead do i plug to Ch5 - I'm assuming Aux as I dont have a rotary control so not using Gain.
sorry for the dumb questions but it's not so clear in the manual.

I'm putting it in a 1400 span GeeBee R3 that I'd prefer not to plant

thanks again

hmm tried either configuration - no dice - can't get it setup as switchable - hmm
I'm not familiar with your transmitter but I can think of two ways you could do this.
  1. Plug gain into the second channel so that gain is either -100 or +100. At -100 you will have zero gain which is effectively off. At +100 you will have gain controlled by the onboard pots. Set the mode channel then for -100/+100 to switch 2D/3D. You may have to reverse polarities to suit your liking. This is probably the simplest.
  2. Don't connect the second channel to anything just use mixes so that in one position it forces the mode channel to zero, switching Guardian off. This can generally be done with a switchable mix of mode>mode -100% thereby nullifying the mode switch and forcing it to neutral. Again, polarities may need adjusting.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
385 Posts
It seems to me that unless you have a radio with 3 position switches and mixing that you cannot use your transmitter to change settings, etc. This requirement should have been stated in the info for the Guardian. Not everyone has an advanced radio. Some people only have the basics. If I would have known this I would not have wasted my money on this stabilizer. Not everyone has access to a computer and needs to use their transmitter to adjust their plane.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:50 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinowace View Post
It seems to me that unless you have a radio with 3 position switches and mixing that you cannot use your transmitter to change settings, etc. This requirement should have been stated in the info for the Guardian. Not everyone has an advanced radio. Some people only have the basics. If I would have known this I would not have wasted my money on this stabilizer. Not everyone has access to a computer and needs to use their transmitter to adjust their plane.
Please read post #2732. The Guardian is usable with no control channels but admittedly constrained. A single 2 pos switch will yield on/off or 2D/3D control with no mixing. Two 2 pos switches can be used as described in #1 above to give 2D/3D, level setting and access to menus, and on/off, also without mixing. All you miss out on then is remote gain control which isn't really needed unless you fly something with a very wide speed range. Even in that case you could set it up for two gain settings instead of on/off. All without any mixing needed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:07 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I am VERY interested in getting a copy of your notes. But I'm a bit confused. You, trroadster, posted this message below, which indicates to me that YOU collected and compiled these notes. Yet the PDF of the compiled notes is posted by deerslayer . Are there two sets of notes? Or are you and deerslayer the same person? Or did deerslayer just PDF the notes for you? I just want to be sure I get the correct and latest collection of notes.

I have several of the Hobby King Orange stabilizers (because they are so cheap) but it sounds like the Guardian is a much better device and well worth the additional cost. So I'm tempted to buy one right away, then have it when I read the details. Besides the unit itself, what other accessories should I order? Also, I usually order from HH but they don't seem to offer it, so who is best to order from? Thanks a bunch!

Gus
[/QUOTE]

Ah fotoflyer, I know your pain. I waited months for HK to come good and eventually got a refund and they still haven't got any. Then I missed out on stock at 2 other places, so I bit the bullet and placed on backorder with Tower Hobbies. I never dealt with them before as I live in Australia, but be blowed, 2 days later I got notification that my Guardian was on the way.
I also bought some HK Orange V2s and they work pretty well for the money but one of them has a dud Yaw pot. Not that it worries me as ailerons are the main usage for me. If I want rudder I can turn the unit over and use aileron outlet as yaw.anyway. The Guardian makes up 4 gyros for me including an old JR G410T Piezo gyro that I love. I see there is an extended harness for the Guardian that could be useful and I will probably order that in the future. Worth a thought.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:44 AM
Joined Feb 2007
385 Posts
Sorry for this basic question-
I am using a Futaba Tx- My 2 position switch does not have -100/+100 settings. It only goes from 0% to 100% in either the up or down position. It does not have - numbers. How do I set it up for 2D/3D? Sorry to be so dense.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:58 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,191 Posts
Futaba vis-a-vis 2D/OFF/3D

I no longer have a Futaba radio, but IIRC the pulse width emitted is equivalent; i.e., 0 - +100 emits the same pulse as, say, a Spektrum Tx going between -100 and +100.

That is the key; i.e., the numbers aren't what the device is seeing - only the pulse widths matter.

Is there a Futaba expert who can help? This is all from memory and, being older than dirt, my memory is the first thing to go - forget what is the second... :-)

Michael
Quote:
I am using a Futaba Tx- My 2 position switch does not have -100/+100 settings. It only goes from 0% to 100% in either the up or down position. It does not have - numbers. How do I set it up for 2D/3D? Sorry to be so dense.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
VIDEO QUESTION OF THE DAY
VID00436 (0 min 32 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:51 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,191 Posts
Plug A Servo???

You should setup the plane without the Guardian; i.e., the plane is ready to fly prior to Guardian installation. This means that you have identified the correct port/channel assignments, correct FWD/REVERSE, sub-trims, etc.

If you would rather do this "blindly", then a quick method is to bind the receiver to your transmitter. Plug a servo into the outputs while moving the sticks (aileron, elevator, and rudder) and you will see which receiver channels are associated with the three primary controls; Guardian only controls those three flight surfaces.

The only wrinkle might be if you use two aileron servos without a "Y" - then just be consistent with which channel is the first aileron channel (plug the Guardian aileron lead into that port) and which is the second aileron channel (plug the Guardian AUX lead into that port.)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
You should setup the plane without the Guardian; i.e., the plane is ready to fly prior to Guardian installation. This means that you have identified the correct port/channel assignments, correct FWD/REVERSE, sub-trims, etc.

If you would rather do this "blindly", then a quick method is to bind the receiver to your transmitter. Plug a servo into the outputs while moving the sticks (aileron, elevator, and rudder) and you will see which receiver channels are associated with the three primary controls; Guardian only controls those three flight surfaces.

The only wrinkle might be if you use two aileron servos without a "Y" - then just be consistent with which channel is the first aileron channel (plug the Guardian aileron lead into that port) and which is the second aileron channel (plug the Guardian AUX lead into that port.)

Michael
I am not worried about the programing at this time. I just wanted to know the standard plug order for wire placement. Once installed in my model, the RX will be too hard to reach to plug the Guardian wires in to it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,201 Posts
Quote:
The center is considered 0% and each extreme is -100% or +100% by default. Unless you have done something to change it your switch is going from -100 to +100. This will switch Guardian from 2D/3D. Most transmitters made in the last 20 years have the ability to set the travel limits in each direction and reverse the direction. You could adjust the travel in one direction to zero, for instance, and then you would have 0% to 100% which would switch Guardian from off/2D or 3D. The actual numbers are not important, just for reference. Guardian mode channel has a wide tolerance for each position so there is no need to fine tune this.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:22 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I am not worried about the programing at this time. I just wanted to know the standard plug order for wire placement. Once installed in my model, the RX will be too hard to reach to plug the Guardian wires in to it.
You need to know which channel is which to install the receiver in any plane, with or without a Guardian. Snowflake gave you a process to figure out the channel order by simply plugging in a loose servo on the bench and trying each channel one at a time until you know what they all are. This should work fine. Programming comes later.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2007
385 Posts
Thanks Choochoo22. You have helped a lot.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:42 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Nov 2008
35 Posts
Hello, I recently bought a guardian and installed it inside a parkzone striker. I bought another one yesterday for more test in other planes.
It so far precisely act as intended in both 3d and 2d modes. No issues at all. Easy to install, easy to use.
I hope i will not discover any problem or dysfunctions later as such problems could cause plane crashes...

Only 2 things I regret,

- Eagle Tree should set a new function to trim the 2d level mode in flight, as some of their competitors do as it is very difficult to get a perfect level flight attitude recordd when set on the ground !!! Bad point.
- then I also regret they do not offer any gps option such as their competitors including return to home option.

Thanks to you all for the 183 pages I read on this forum topic !!!!!
Mackens is offline Find More Posts by Mackens
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
WOW! 183 pages!!! it will take a new buyer of this product weeks to read all this stuff.