HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
Mode ?

Hello Ricker G,

Which mode did you use?

Regards,

Eric Schumacher, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickerG View Post
Update - it works.
I did what the manual said, set level flight, turned giardiasis off, took off, climbe and then turned guardian on. POP! Right to level flight. Rolled inverted and hit the switch again. POP! Right back to level flight. Adjusted the Gaian bit and decided to shoot an approach with guardian on. Wow, now that's cool. Using only throttle to adjust decent rate I pulled off a nice landing, again, again and again.
Lots of fun.

Thanks for your help now time to get creative with it.
schummie is offline Find More Posts by schummie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Feb 2005
100 Posts
2D mode. The mode that levels the plane in all axis.
RickerG is offline Find More Posts by RickerG
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickerG View Post
Yes, only with GuRdian connected byes, verified Set Level Trim ok. No on PC stuff. I do not have PC. I use Mac and it appears that Eagle Tree does not support it.

If this is the case, and I must have a PC to make this product work as designed, then they should state this prior to purchase.

Anyone looking to purchase a new and perfectly good Guardian Stabalizer?
While its true the software is PC only it runs fine on both my Macs using PC emulation software and Windows XP or Windows 7
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Try setting level flight inverted, making sure the angle of attack is enough for level flight. So when you want to impress the lads at the field, just flip the switch to 2d and fly around inverted...
Never thought of that, That would be awesome, and simple.
Spectremaster is offline Find More Posts by Spectremaster
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:09 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,371 Posts
You'd still have to fly inverted, but then if you are going to that trouble to set a inverted condition in your stabilizer, then I guess you could set up a inverted condition in your transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremaster View Post
Never thought of that, That would be awesome, and simple.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:44 AM
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
187 Posts
USB Issue

Two of us bought Guardians. ALthough mine seems to work OK, I cannot find any
USB plug that fits it. I have a small collection of such items, including a couple from Kobo readers. My buddy used his Kobo cord with no problems. I do realize that not all mini USB plugs are the same (what a great standard!), but my collection seems to cover a rather good range of variations. I have not had the chance to catch up to my friend yet to determine exactly what is my situation.

It looks to me like I have a badly manufactured plug housing on my Guardian. I expect to be sending the unit back.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Deerslayer is online now Find More Posts by Deerslayer
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:49 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Two of us bought Guardians. ALthough mine seems to work OK, I cannot find any
USB plug that fits it. I have a small collection of such items, including a couple from Kobo readers. My buddy used his Kobo cord with no problems. I do realize that not all mini USB plugs are the same (what a great standard!), but my collection seems to cover a rather good range of variations. I have not had the chance to catch up to my friend yet to determine exactly what is my situation.

It looks to me like I have a badly manufactured plug housing on my Guardian. I expect to be sending the unit back.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Do you try your buddy's cable that worked on his?
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:49 PM
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Do you try your buddy's cable that worked on his?
Yes! I managed to get to his place. All is well.

Interesting, a couple of the cables I have sure are close to being the so-called microUSB but are obviously non-standard ones that camera or gadget manufacturers came up with.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:54 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
3D Heading Hold: Aileron or Elevator versus Rudder

One thing nice about Guardian 2D/3D's 3D Heading Hold is that while a Tx stick is deflected from neutral, the corresponding servo stops trying to do heading hold.

I was testing 3D with Heading Hold and Direct Rates in Normal (not Elevon nor V-tail) mode, and I seem to find the following:

If I deflect just the Aileron Tx stick from neutral, all 3 servos temporarily stop heading hold and behave as if connected to rate gyros.

A similar thing happens if I deflect just the Elevator Tx stick from neutral.

But if I deflect just the Rudder Tx stick, while the Rudder servo temporarily stops heading hold behavior, the Aileron and Elevator servos seem to retain heading hold behavior.

Not surprisingly, I found similar behavior in Elevon mode.

I am wondering what other people have found. Thanks.

LATER: Oops. Nevermind. I just noticed that I had read about this behavior on page 2 of the manual but did not remember this while testing my Guardian 2D/3D.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Dec 25, 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Just remembered that this was described on p.2 of the manual.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:05 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
One thing nice about Guardian 2D/3D's 3D Heading Hold is that while a Tx stick is deflected from neutral, the corresponding servo stops trying to do heading hold.

I was testing 3D with Heading Hold and Direct Rates in Normal (not Elevon nor V-tail) mode, and I seem to find the following:

If I deflect just the Aileron Tx stick from neutral, all 3 servos temporarily stop heading hold and behave as if connected to rate gyros.

A similar thing happens if I deflect just the Elevator Tx stick from neutral.

But if I deflect just the Rudder Tx stick, while the Rudder servo temporarily stops heading hold behavior, the Aileron and Elevator servos seem to retain heading hold behavior.

Not surprisingly, I found similar behavior in Elevon mode.

I am wondering what other people have found. Thanks.
This is exactly how it is supposed to work, and it works very well that way. For example; You can set a climb-out attitude in 3D, set the plane down, and taxi out to take-off position using the rudder, without disturbing your attitude set, just hit the throttle to take off. Also, you can establish a knife edge attitude and control it with the rudder while Guardian continues to hold the knife edge with aileron and elevator. I like to establish level flight and scoot the plane around like car on snow just using rudder while Guardian holds the plane level, even more fun inverted.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:15 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
This is exactly how it is supposed to work, and it works very well that way. ...
Thanks. Yes, I just noticed that I had read about this on page 2 of the manual but did not remember this while testing my Guardian 2D/3D.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 AM
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
187 Posts
Guardian with DX7

I am using the AUX2 on an AR7000 Rx for Gain, so that I can have slider (variable) control.

I now have the Gear channel available to drive the Mode input to the Guardian. I need to control Mode from the Tx, i.e., set Guardian to Off, 2D or 3D upon command.

I use Flaperons, coupled to Elevator upon demand via the via the Mix switch, on my planes and I never touch the Flap switch or its slider. It is the only 3-position (Off, 2D, 3D) capability on the DX7. I want to use this Flap 3-position switch to control Mode via the Gear servo channel -
In order to do this, I first need to:

1. Disable the Gear switch.
2. I then need to use, I guess, a couple of Mixes to give the -100, 0, +100 outputs to the Gear (Guardian Mode) channel from the Flap switch.

I am struggling! How can I disable the Gear switch?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I am struggling! How can I disable the Gear switch?
Usually you can disable a switch by mixing it back to itself EG: gear=>gear -100%. You may have to adjust the polarity of the mix.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, OH, Oregon
Joined Feb 2007
25 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a few basic questions about the Guardian I知 sure someone here can help clarify.
I知 installing the Guardian in a glow fuel Hanger 9 Cessna ARF (trainer) to get an idea of how it works before I put it in any of my other airplanes. I nearly had a disaster with a previous attempt at using a gyro. I to bring it in with full rudder applied. So I thought I would play it a bit safer this time.

I知 using a Futaba 8FG radio and a R617FS receiver.

1. Can I use the 3 position switch for 2D, off, 3D mode and the gain on a dial at the same time?

2. Do I need to understand the stick menu mode programming if I知 using the software? It seems ridiculous, confusing and I値l never remember it.

3. Resetting trims?
I set the radio trim for each channel to zero. (The airplane normally flies at +2 elevator and +4 ailerons.)
I leveled the airplane and leveled the Guardian mounting.
Then Reset Neutral Servo Deflections and Reset Level Pitch/Roll using the software rather than toggling the mode switch.
Mow the confusion. Page 3 mentions , 鄭ny time you re-trim your plane or re-mount the Guardian, you will need to do this again to ensure best stabilization performance. Does 途e-trim mean adjusting the trim while flying? It makes sense to me that remounting the guardian would require a reset. But how do you re-trim then reset on the ground when the airplane is in another position? Am I overthinking this?
In the tutorial video he shows a reset but doesn稚 mention if this is needed after each power up or just once. I would hope once if I like the way it flies.

4. Page 3 mentions 摘nsure your Transmitter Pitch/Roll throws are set for 100% if applicable. How does this apply to end points travel and dual rates? 100% of what when?
My end points are set at 100 for ailerons, 140 for elevator, and 120 for rudder, all other are at 100.
Dual rates are set at 65/100 for ailerons, 47/100 elevator, 100/100 for rudder.

That痴 all for now. I致e powered it up and I致e started to play with it in the house. Might try it this week if the weather clears up.

Thanks for any help.
strohtm is offline Find More Posts by strohtm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
I have one of these. I can't wait to try it. can someone tell me how or if I can make this work with a spektrum DX6i transmitter?
SeanBogunia is offline Find More Posts by SeanBogunia