HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Galand's Avatar
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
In looking at the pictures, especially the last two that shows the USB port - there seems to be a tiny strip of copper attached to one of the outer feet. If it is copper, then I'm sorry but it is beyond me and my soldering iron. Can you confirm?
If so, that copper is the actual strip that is layed down on the pcb board. It is what the port is soldered too and it may also be used to connect to something else...ground path for example. I can still attempt to re-install the USB port; however it won't be a repair, but an experiment with a hi probability of failure - it'll be free though.

By the way, how's the training using the Guardian as an assist coming along?
Last night I tried to solder that foot to the board. The solder took immediately to the foot bot would not take to the board. I think you just explained why. I will test the unit and if it still works, I can use it with an 8 channel Rx where I can then use the mode switch to reset trims.

Re. training? I use also a Skysurfer with an FY-20A stabilizer, but on that one you have to change the gains manually for each channel. Too much hassle. So the Guardian, where you can change it on the fly, is much better.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Guardian setup

I have the plane level and the Guardian installed for level flight on the table steady with no movement. when i switch between 2d and 3d mode the orientation of my control surfaces moves and are no longer correct for level flight. it seems I can only trim the plane out correctly for one mode or the other. I have it hooked to my laptop and the level bubble indicates level in 2d and not level when in 3d mode when the plane has yet to be moved. Help is this correct operation?
Guano is offline Find More Posts by Guano
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:09 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Are the options and gains on all set exactly the same? Let us know what the third exhibits. Also need to know what firmware each is running.
Data attached.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Guardian without elevator

Hi-

I want to know if it is possible to use the Guardian without the elevator. I really only want rudder stabilization, mainly at take off.

Also, I have a two servo elevator and two aileron servos. If I have to connect the elevator can I connect just one aileron (for power basically) and the two elevator servos--one to elevator the other to aux or do I have to connect both aileron servos. If so, I think what you are telling me is that I need a Y connector, which I really would prefer not doing if I can avoid it.

Thanks-

Larry
Phakur is offline Find More Posts by Phakur
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
775 Posts
If you don't want the elevator just set the gain for the elevator to zero or just drive the elevator from the receiver and not thru the guardian.
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:43 AM
Registered User
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phakur View Post
Hi-

I want to know if it is possible to use the Guardian without the elevator. I really only want rudder stabilization, mainly at take off.

Also, I have a two servo elevator and two aileron servos. If I have to connect the elevator can I connect just one aileron (for power basically) and the two elevator servos--one to elevator the other to aux or do I have to connect both aileron servos. If so, I think what you are telling me is that I need a Y connector, which I really would prefer not doing if I can avoid it.

Thanks-

Larry
Larry, if you only want rudder stabilization for take off. the Futaba GYA430 gyro is a much better solution:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNFR&P=SM

I use the GYA430 for take off of tail draggers.

Bruce
landeck is online now Find More Posts by landeck
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
Quote:
Pull out from dive. Wings folded. Nosed in from 100 feet.
Nylon reinforced strapping / packaging tape length wise full span on the bottom of the wing would have perhaps saved the wing from folding. . I never fail to add such tape reinforcement to foam wings unless they have CF or such spars .

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User
west yorkshire uk
Joined Jan 2005
272 Posts
Guys, is it normal for the voltage in the rx pack powering the Guardian to drop strongly while in operation? On the bench the tx telemetry is indicating 5.1v on the rx pack (4 cell), now as i move the sticks around softly, the alarm warning on the tx sounds indicating that 4.4v or lower has been acheived. Looking at the tx readout shows that the rx pack at one point actually went as low as 3.9v (worrying) Is it normal for the rx pack to drop so low during light use?

I have tried several rx pack including new and also plugged in different servos but still very sharp voltage drop, remember this is on the bench. If i disconect the Guardian and remove, the rx voltage never drops below 4.8v even under severe stick twiddling so its obviously giro related.

Please advise as i have never used a giro before and just need to know if this is normal behaviour.

Chris
cambradjones is online now Find More Posts by cambradjones
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Registered User
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by landeck View Post
Larry, if you only want rudder stabilization for take off. the Futaba GYA430 gyro is a much better solution:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNFR&P=SM

I use the GYA430 for take off of tail draggers.

Bruce
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1017.html

will do the job!
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
BJM-Maxx's Avatar
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambradjones View Post
Guys, is it normal for the voltage in the rx pack powering the Guardian to drop strongly while in operation? On the bench the tx telemetry is indicating 5.1v on the rx pack (4 cell), now as i move the sticks around softly, the alarm warning on the tx sounds indicating that 4.4v or lower has been acheived. Looking at the tx readout shows that the rx pack at one point actually went as low as 3.9v (worrying) Is it normal for the rx pack to drop so low during light use?

I have tried several rx pack including new and also plugged in different servos but still very sharp voltage drop, remember this is on the bench. If i disconect the Guardian and remove, the rx voltage never drops below 4.8v even under severe stick twiddling so its obviously giro related.

Please advise as i have never used a giro before and just need to know if this is normal behaviour.

Chris
The Guardian's own power consumption is very low. Really the only way for it to use more power is by exercising the servos rapidly which it can do. Have you measured the power draw of your Guardian by itself to make sure it is okay?
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Your customer
Silverexpress's Avatar
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambradjones View Post
Guys, is it normal for the voltage in the rx pack powering the Guardian to drop strongly while in operation? On the bench the tx telemetry is indicating 5.1v on the rx pack (4 cell), now as i move the sticks around softly, the alarm warning on the tx sounds indicating that 4.4v or lower has been acheived. Looking at the tx readout shows that the rx pack at one point actually went as low as 3.9v (worrying) Is it normal for the rx pack to drop so low during light use?

I have tried several rx pack including new and also plugged in different servos but still very sharp voltage drop, remember this is on the bench. If i disconect the Guardian and remove, the rx voltage never drops below 4.8v even under severe stick twiddling so its obviously giro related.

Please advise as i have never used a giro before and just need to know if this is normal behaviour.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Can you provide us more details on your setup...

1. How many servos?
2. Analog or Digital? Size..micro, standard, heavy duty...
3. On board Telemetry module?
4. Any other sensors on the module?
5. Make of telemetry

Basically what we need to know are all the components sucking power from the rx battery. And yes with enough load you can have a sudden voltage drop like your experiencing.
Your setup could have already been on the tipping point and adding the Guardian may well have put the entire system well over.

I feed my electronics with a10 amp bec. On average I run 3s Lipos that power my planes and also feed these bec's. That's roughly 12 volts freshly charged and then I run them down to about 11.8-11.6 volts. All the while the bec's will continually provide a steady 5v since its well below the source 11.6 volts. On some setups the bec feeds 6 volts.

Also note that a servo that is binding can draw more power.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys---I probably should have done more research, but that I already own the guardian, I wanted to know if I could use it without elevator--I gather I can.

Has anyone used it for rudder control during take off? I plan on not hooking up the elevator at all (since it is being driven by two servos) hook up aileron into ail and aux connections with gain set low and rudder with gain set at ?? Guess I will play a little.

I have a spacewalker 2 120 size that likes to make a sharp left turn when given full throttle at take off.

Thanks again everyone!!.

Larry
Phakur is offline Find More Posts by Phakur
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
100 Posts
Please excuse me for possibly asking or posting something that has already been asked in this thread but I was being lazy and did not want to read 160+ pages.
I ordered my Guardian from Tower in Sep. 2012 and recently received it. Yep, over two months wait but excited to receive it.
Out of the box it has performed in this way.
Ailerons will NOT move Right when asked to by the control sticks or by the Guardian. Disconnect the Guardian and all is well. Al other controls, functions and processes are as per the manual.

Help! I may be loosing my mind or lost a marble or two.

Ricker
Gci@charter.net
RickerG is offline Find More Posts by RickerG
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickerG View Post
Please excuse me for possibly asking or posting something that has already been asked in this thread but I was being lazy and did not want to read 160+ pages.
I ordered my Guardian from Tower in Sep. 2012 and recently received it. Yep, over two months wait but excited to receive it.
Out of the box it has performed in this way.
Ailerons will NOT move Right when asked to by the control sticks or by the Guardian. Disconnect the Guardian and all is well. Al other controls, functions and processes are as per the manual.

Help! I may be loosing my mind or lost a marble or two.

Ricker
Gci@charter.net
Ricker,

By "Right" to you mean correctly? Or, do you mean the ailerons with follow aileron stick command for left turns but not right turns?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
100 Posts
Left stick movement = left roll. Right stick movement = nothing. Guardian off, 2D & 3D.
I might add also that left stick movement has a slow response and when rolling the Guardian, the wing servos are not very responsive as compared to pitch and yaw movements that appear correct.
RickerG is offline Find More Posts by RickerG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can I control Guardian stabilizer with DX6i? njwxyz Eagle Tree Systems 9 Jun 02, 2014 12:17 PM
Discussion GPS 2D Plots incomplete, 3D OK jackerbes Eagle Tree Systems 1 Oct 23, 2011 09:42 PM
Discussion Premier 1st generation, Gen 2 Vector unit, 2D or 3D motor unit lanternfly RC Kites 0 Oct 05, 2011 09:42 PM
Data 2d or 3d wing ribs? Marty7n Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 56 Sep 22, 2011 04:06 PM
Discussion 3View to 3D to 2d techasist CAD/CAM 0 Mar 27, 2011 12:19 AM