SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:04 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Before July 4th
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Maybe I should pre order one.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many of the first batch have not been spoken for as yet. I know between indivuals and vendors that some first batch devices are all booked before they arrive and sometimes the second batch is months away.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Four more flights on the Lil-Banchee this morning in winds that without it that pane would have been grouded. I was having a ball playin in the wind,stationary rolls,harries,hovers drifinting with the wind,KE passes parallel to runway into and with the wind using rudder only and not a single thought to how I was going to land it without breaking something. Time to land a non event perfect landing in 3D mode with throttle and elevator only used after turning on to final to touch down.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 02, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Just thinking on how it might be used. A new model on its 1st flight may be slightly out of trim. Am I right in assuming that the Guardian "doesn't care" & will keep the plane straight & level in 2D or as pointed in 3D. So one could get up high & switch off to trim OR if you're lazy, NEVER trim.
If not previously tested, perhaps someone could deliberately introduce "out of trim condition" to prove this.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Four more flights on the Lil-Banchee this morning in winds that without it that pane would have been grouded. I was having a ball playin in the wind,stationary rolls,harries,hovers drifinting with the wind,KE passes parallel to runway into and with the wind using rubber only and not a single thought to how I was going to land it without breaking something. Time to land a non event perfect landing in 3D mode with throttle and elevator only used after turning on to final to touch down.

Charles
Hey Charles,

Enjoying your flight reports while waiting for mine to be delivered! Would you please post us some pics of what your Lil-Banchee installation looks like. Close-ups of mounts, foam isolators, etc., would be great.

Many Thanks,
Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
DavidN

You set control surfaces for what should be SLF ,you adjust gains on Guardian 2D/3D so servos move in the correct direction that is its moves elevator up if you tilt the nose down. it gives left ail. if you roll aircraft to right. You set aircraft level as it would be in level flight you power up receiver and Guardian and flip the initilization swith (gear, flaps etc.) swith on the trnasmitter which you have programed from 2D to 3D back to 2D then to 3D again and then back to 2D. Guardian now knows this is SLF.

After flying and triming with transmitter with Guardian off you can turmn it back on finish fligh land and then once flip from 2D to 3D and back to 2D .this time only once and the Guardaian now has the new trim setting memorized.

All of this will be covered in the manual and no need to worry about it now.

I posted way back that everyone should be figuring out how they are going to program their transmitter for use with Guardian 2D/3D.

I used a servo on the Guardian mode channel so as to have visual feed back. You need full CCW for 2D cetered for off and full CW for 3D.

If you have a slider or knob control extra ch. that can be used for overall gain ( all 3 axis).

Charles
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:50 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Four more flights on the Lil-Banchee this morning in winds that without it that pane would have been grouded. I was having a ball playin in the wind,stationary rolls,harries,hovers drifinting with the wind,KE passes parallel to runway into and with the wind using rubber only and not a single thought to how I was going to land it without breaking something. Time to land a non event perfect landing in 3D mode with throttle and elevator only used after turning on to final to touch down.

Charles
Sounds Perfect - Which 3D sub mode are you using, headlocking or Gyro mode.

Is it safe to say that 2D only provides wing leveling, but does not include head holding, I gather thats why you landed in 3D mode

Keep the reviews coming, love reading them.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:20 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Sounds Perfect - Which 3D sub mode are you using, headlocking or Gyro mode.

Whatever default is.

Is it safe to say that 2D only provides wing leveling, but does not include head holding, I gather thats why you landed in 3D mode

No 2D controls all 3 axis to maintain SLF. I land most times in 3D as it is more natural to me. 2D is only used to do rudder input only flat spins , to play around with ,to enable me to swat bugs,adjust sunglasses ,cap etc. I really do not need a almost uncrashable trainer after 49 years of playing this game. I have done 2D take offs and landing using throttle and evevator input only as well as 2D hand launches using elevator only.

Keep the reviews coming, love reading them.

FCA
Currently the different menu options are programed by Trans. sticks which I really dislike. Doing so once for a ESC is bad enought to do so to try all the many different Guardian 2D/3D options is more than I care to tackle. Also consider that I am in no way an expert 3D flyer and any suble diffrences I would not notice.

Without Guardian I can not hold a hover,do decent 4 point rolls, KE passes parallel to runway back and fort, decent harries and numerious other manuvers which the Guardian makes very easy.
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 02, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Just thinking on how it might be used. A new model on its 1st flight may be slightly out of trim. Am I right in assuming that the Guardian "doesn't care" & will keep the plane straight & level in 2D or as pointed in 3D. So one could get up high & switch off to trim OR if you're lazy, NEVER trim.
If not previously tested, perhaps someone could deliberately introduce "out of trim condition" to prove this.
David

My first flight with my f27q was with guardian on. I was completely out of trim and i just launched and the guardian allowed me to fly it perfectly. I then gained altitude, turned guardian off, then manualky trimmed it under safe conditions.

However, after trimming that way, you need to land, and use rhe startup menue sequence to reset stick positions, otherwise guardian wuld not know what the new center stick position is for 3d mode flight

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:14 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,038 Posts
Question:
Has anyone tried using a guardian to stabilize a camera gimbal? It would seem this would be simple but servo jitter is often induced by stabilizing systems to the obvious detriment of video quality. If it's smooth, 2D could be perfect.

Suggestion:
As I understand it, the current firmware allows a 3 pos switch (eg: flaps) to be used to set different gains in flight but sets all three gains equally. It would seem that some of the concerns mentioned in this thread could be served with a slightly different approach; Use the 3 positions to select what amounts to "flight modes" within the Guardian. The settings for each mode could be pre-set in the GUI. This way the gains could be set independently for each axis in each mode, some axis could be "off" in some (or all) modes while others are active, and possibly some axis could operate in 2D while others are 3D.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Thanks Charles & Al
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:03 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Four more flight with Lil-Banchee and Guardian this morning and decided to change things up a bit. Hand launches with plane inverted ,launched at at aprox. 20,40,60 and 80 degrees. Tracked exactly as released until it was getting to high and or to far away. I continue to be amazed. Point the plane ,in 3D mode stir the sticks ,run throttle up and release.
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 03, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
Significant cost reduction for Multi-rotors

I think the potentially biggest news here is the application for Multi-rotors.

At a MSRP of $74.99 this could be a major cost/performance improvement in future Multi-rotors.

Was thinking about going with a DJI Flame Wheel F450 w/NAZA. But I might hold off until the Guardian w/multi-rotor support is available.

That of course brings up the question (though this is speculative at this point) how the Guardian w/multi-rotor support would match up to the NAZA controller.

Any ideas..?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:27 PM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
569 Posts
Will we be able to plug in our Altimeter Microsensor V4 and get altitude hold?

That would be fantastic!!!
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123