HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Yes it is the default setting. I think direct rate and heading hold are both enable.
GlowintheDark is offline Find More Posts by GlowintheDark
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowintheDark View Post
I just cant seem to get anything out of the rudder. I tried putting it in the odd angle . Still nothing! Also in 2D mode the ailerons and elevator move alot. But doing the same test in 3D I can barely see any movement out of them. Is it possible I have gotten a bad Guardian?
Increase the gain pot for the rudder to the max setting and then see if it becomes responsive. It would also help to have the Master gain set at 100%. By the way, when you maiden your plane, you'll want to turn the pots down to roughly 20-30% as a starting point. See manual for initial setup.

I see that you've connected the unit to a pc. In the software there is a tab with settings to limit the servo travel of the gyro's responses.
Check the rudder's setting against the elevator and ailerons.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:22 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
I just cant seem to get anything out of the rudder. I tried putting it in the odd angle . Still nothing! Also in 2D mode the ailerons and elevator move alot.
Holding the plane at an odd angle and activating 2D you should see the elevator and ailerons move "alot". And the rudder may barely twitch or no noticeable movement, all normal.

Quote:
But doing the same test in 3D I can barely see any movement out of them. Is it possible I have gotten a bad Guardian?
Doing the same thing in 3D what you should see is....nothing! All surfaces should remain still until you move the plane. Normal.

To test 3D, try this. Put the plane on a table and activate 3D in heading hold mode with max gain. Now rotate the plane on each axis one at a time. In all cases the relevant surface should move the same way you move the plane and will probably reach max deflection in perhaps 30 of rotation (depends on servos and linkage). For instance, push the tail right and the rudder should move right.

It's not clear that you have a problem. In any case you have an off switch. Do a reset with the plane sitting on its wheels, switch Guardian off, and fly it! In flight, switch on 3D and see what happens. If it does something unexpected switch it off and tell us about it.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Hello All,

I'm having trouble with the rudder (Yaw) working on the unit. I have everything plugged in correctly and get response from the ailerons and elevator but I have no feedback on the yaw portion of the guardian.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
I just installed mine and have only flown it once so I'm no expert, (and a nebb pilot as well). But what I have seen on mine, with stock settings, is that the ailerons, and elevators will hold there position until the airplane gets to where it wants to be, in 2D or 3D. And the rudder only moves if the plane is actively YAWing. (moving). when the yaw stops the rudder returns to neutral. It is a bit hard to see. I have my gains set at 100%. If you yaw the plane quickly the rudder will move more. If you yaw it slowly, it does not seem to move.

Not sure if changing the stock settings will cause this to work differently or not, Forgot about that part of the manual.

With the stock setting on my eflite apprentice 15e, this thing ROCKS. I call it my training wheels. As I get more flying in next year, I'll turn the gains down. Takeoffs and landing in 2D makes me look good.
Spectremaster is offline Find More Posts by Spectremaster
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
23 Posts
Linking airspeed to gain control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Looking forward for a pitot tube airspeed sensor to control the overall gain. Add to this a software feature that detects wag/flutter and automatically decreases the gain for that particular control surface to a user set %. These are needed features for aircraft that have a wider speed range such as an EDF, Turbine, or Wing types. It's also needed for powered dives.
I totally agree, especially as ET already have a pitot-static airspeed sensor. Does anyone know if this is in the pipeline, or if it is already an option?

James.
jymster is offline Find More Posts by jymster
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_y2k2 View Post
Yes, the faster you go the more authority the control surface has, so the lower the gain needs to be.

It would be nice to see it integrated with the eagle tree airspeed sensor so as speed increases it could reduce gain automatically. That way you get the absolute best gain throughout the speed envelope.

Any other way is going to be something of a compromise between slow speed stability and high speed wobbles.

EDF aren't inherently difficult to fly by the way, they just have some unique handling characteristics compared to prop planes. If you can fly a fast low wing prop, you can fly an EDF.... You just have to bear in mind that as you slow down, there is no prop wash over the wings and control surfaces, so control authority suffers more.... And the EDF is a bit slower to start generating thrust than the prop equivalents so will take slightly longer to respond.

That aside, nothing difficult. If you can pick up a parkzone Habu still (just been discontinued) those are about the most forgiving EDF you could buy to learn on! Delta winged jets are also a good choice IMO as they tend to have very gentle stall characteristics.
Yes, again I couldn't agree more. I wonder whether the ET airspeed sensor could be plugged in to the manual gain control channel? Surely ET are working on this?

James.
jymster is offline Find More Posts by jymster
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
3D control surface only need to move enough to maintain flight path (heading) prior to centering the sticks.

2D they have to move more to correct to straight and level flight from any heading as in a severe dive or very hard banked turn.

Does your Rudder as as much throw as the Elevaator when Guardian is switched Off?

Charles
Thanks for the info re 2d/3d, it makes sense when you think of what it's trying to do in the different modes.

The rud/elv move a similar amount when moved via the TX, the rud movement by the guardian when waving the plane around is down roughly 1/3 of what it can travel.

Thanks
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremaster View Post
I just installed mine and have only flown it once so I'm no expert, (and a nebb pilot as well). But what I have seen on mine, with stock settings, is that the ailerons, and elevators will hold there position until the airplane gets to where it wants to be, in 2D or 3D. And the rudder only moves if the plane is actively YAWing. (moving). when the yaw stops the rudder returns to neutral. It is a bit hard to see. I have my gains set at 100%. If you yaw the plane quickly the rudder will move more. If you yaw it slowly, it does not seem to move.

Not sure if changing the stock settings will cause this to work differently or not, Forgot about that part of the manual.

With the stock setting on my eflite apprentice 15e, this thing ROCKS. I call it my training wheels. As I get more flying in next year, I'll turn the gains down. Takeoffs and landing in 2D makes me look good.
2D rudder corrections for yaw, if any, are difficult to see. The Guardian mainly uses ailerons for yaw correction in 2D.

3D rudder corrections for yaw will be obvious, if the pot and xmitter gains are turned on enough - as the 3D Guardian uses rudder for yaw corrections and ailerons for roll corrections.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2012
49 Posts
Help

Hi I have a 2d-3d stabilizer have it all plugged in and it is working but the led won't light up ,did I miss a step I have two plugs left over gain and the one for having duel aleron servo , also my gear is dx7 can some one help I have watched the video 20 times and have read the instructions , and now have my self so confused thanks I really need your help. George
Jakethedog is offline Find More Posts by Jakethedog
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethedog View Post
Hi I have a 2d-3d stabilizer have it all plugged in and it is working but the led won't light up ,did I miss a step I have two plugs left over gain and the one for having duel aleron servo , also my gear is dx7 can some one help I have watched the video 20 times and have read the instructions , and now have my self so confused thanks I really need your help. George
If viewed in bright sun light it is nearly impossible to see.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:35 AM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethedog View Post
I also have this unit on my airplane, flying with a DX7s. I can help you get the Tx setup correctly, but we need to clarify what's wrong first? (The two plugs you have "left over" are fine.)

You say "it is working", but I'm wondering if, by "working", you mean the control surfaces move correctly in response to you moving the TX sticks? Or do you say "working" because you can shake and roll the airplane... and the control surfaces move on their own?

Unlikely: If you can shake and roll the airplane... and control surfaces start moving on their own to counteract your motions... then some form of stabilization is activated and the LED should *not* be "solid off". It should be either "solid on" (3D mode) or "blinking" (2D mode).

More likely: If you shake and roll the airplane, and control surfaces stay completely quiet, then the unit is "disabled"... and a "solid off" LED is correct. If this is the case... then, yeah, your TX either isn't configured right... or you haven't flipped the TX switch that activates the Guardian's stabilization.

Let us know what you've got... and we'll go from there.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2012
49 Posts
Thanks for the response when the unit is on (plugged in) I have no led light even if I switch from 2d off and 3d 2d being down on the three position switch , and yes I considered it working because when I move the plane around it response to the movement with no light , I did black out my garage to insure that the light was not just dim. I flew it a couple hours ago it seemed to respond to what ever what I put it through for the exception with the switch in the up position didnt seem to get much correction. My understanding is 3d is the up position and I really didn't see much help from it when in flight thanks again for your help I hope I answered the question George
Jakethedog is offline Find More Posts by Jakethedog
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Plug a spare servo into the Mode channel of the Guardian. If the 2D / Off / 3D ( EPAs) are set correctly and the Guardiian is respnding correctly then Sw. to center (Off) the servo will be centered , 2D it will rotate one diection and 3D it will rotate the other direction.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
465 Posts
So... your LED is borked... that's a shame. There are a variety of error messages you won't be able to see without it (e.g. brownout). However, mine is buried in fus... so I never look at it anyway.

You mention that 3D mode (sw-up) response doesn't seem very strong. Simple gain adjustments? Without the gain plug connected, you'll need to dial this up on the ground. It'll be hard to tell where the right settings are without a gusty day to challenge the Guardian a bit.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Crash Ace
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph E View Post
I read the manual and found that in order to install the remote gain adjust feature I need an variable "rheostat" type knob on the transmitter or a "slider" switch. I have the Spektrum DX7 which does not have an adjustable knob but does have and Aux2 toggle switch with a momentary (sliding) switch next to the toggle. Can I use those switches to hook up the gain function?

Thanks,
I find that once my plane is dialed in I only adjust the gain knob based on the speed I'm flying. My Reno racer does 100 mph+ and I was constantly fiddling with the gain control. Rather than assigning the gain to a POT (knob) I have my gain mixed with throttle position and use a custom curve to set gain end points and lower stabilization at higher speeds. I also set-up a slowed response on down throttle to avoid over-stabilization if I drop the throttle at high speed. It took a little doing, but once set-up my gains are automatic so I don't need to make consent adjustments.
ImJeffW is offline Find More Posts by ImJeffW