SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Oct 2006
221 Posts
I read the manual and found that in order to install the remote gain adjust feature I need an variable "rheostat" type knob on the transmitter or a "slider" switch. I have the Spektrum DX7 which does not have an adjustable knob but does have and Aux2 toggle switch with a momentary (sliding) switch next to the toggle. Can I use those switches to hook up the gain function?

Thanks,
Ralph E is offline Find More Posts by Ralph E
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:18 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,775 Posts
Hovering like a pro

Today, flying a foamy called the Unique, I hovered like a pro using Guardian 3D - never hovered more than a few seconds before. Not only that, I could spin the plane about the roll axis, while hovering. Until it got old (about 20s).

The Guardian can get in the way though, sometimes. Two instances readily come to mind ...

For instance, if the space for landing is tight, having the Guardian on can result in turns that are wider than the available space.

Another issue, the airspeed is no longer indicated by the lift the plane is exhibiting - since the Guardian dampens the planes response to its own lift. And this can make landings interesting.

Bit all in all, it's just pure fun, learning what it can do, and how to take advantage of it. But me hovering - my stars - what's the world coming to. I'm basically a glider pilot, not a stuntman.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph E View Post
I have the Spektrum DX7 which does not have an adjustable knob but does have and Aux2 toggle switch with a momentary (sliding) switch next to the toggle. Can I use those switches to hook up the gain function?
You can use a two position switch to set high/low gain, or a 3 pos switch for low/med/high. I find the remote gain is useful on some planes but is not really necessary once you have a good gain set on the pots.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:27 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
For instance, if the space for landing is tight, having the Guardian on can result in turns that are wider than the available space.
This is definitely true in 2D but if you are experiencing this in 3D you may not have the settings optimized.

On landing, I like 2D mode. If I kill the throttle and just steer with gentle aileron, Guardian will hold the plane in a slower glide than I could ever manage and automatically correct for turbulence as well. It may take a few tries to get the angle set right to make this work to your taste.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
You can use a two position switch to set high/low gain, or a 3 pos switch for low/med/high. I find the remote gain is useful on some planes but is not really necessary once you have a good gain set on the pots.
+1 on the above.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:57 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
This is definitely true in 2D but if you are experiencing this in 3D you may not have the settings optimized.

On landing, I like 2D mode. If I kill the throttle and just steer with gentle aileron, Guardian will hold the plane in a slower glide than I could ever manage and automatically correct for turbulence as well. It may take a few tries to get the angle set right to make this work to your taste.
I find the 2D level seems to change from day to day. 1 day its perfect for straight flying, the next day its either climbing, descending or turning. Its not consistant from day to day for some reason.

Not sure if anyone else is finding this.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I find the 2D level seems to change from day to day. 1 day its perfect for straight flying, the next day its either climbing, descending or turning. Its not consistant from day to day for some reason.

Are you adjusting radio trims and not resetting trims in the Guardian?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Just setting up the Guardian, i've got the control surfaces deflecting the right way but i seem to be getting less Guardian deflection in 3D than 2D, is that normal ?

Also i've played around with the pot gains but the rudder doesn't seem to move as fully as the elevator does ?

I've might just have the wrong settings ?
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,775 Posts
Quote:

Neat.
I get my kicks out of being able to hand launch in 2D or 3D modes without touching the transmitter - until I choose to stop the ascent, I can just watch it go up in a straight line. (My 2D mode works for launches, as it has an upward pitch built in, since I like my recoveries to pitch up a bit).
And the easy hovering on the prop using 3D as I said
And kiting down in steep landings - using 2D to keep it level. Especially in strong winds.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:16 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Give us some details on how you installed it and were in the fuselage.

Also are you toggling the mode switch right after you've plugged in a battery?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:34 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Are you adjusting radio trims and not resetting trims in the Guardian?
No, but if I do a do the trim reset.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:41 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,305 Posts
I had it on my SBACH 342 on the COG, but its totally destroyed now!.

Not touching the switch within the 15 seconds unless resetting trims from the flight before.

I could reset it via the laptop in the evening and in the morning it would be not be level again on the artificial horizon and after 10 min you could see it drifting around. SO I stopped using 2D as it was never consistent.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy335touring View Post
Just setting up the Guardian, i've got the control surfaces deflecting the right way but i seem to be getting less Guardian deflection in 3D than 2D, is that normal ?

Also i've played around with the pot gains but the rudder doesn't seem to move as fully as the elevator does ?

I've might just have the wrong settings ?

3D control surface only need to move enough to maintain flight path (heading) prior to centering the sticks.

2D they have to move more to correct to straight and level flight from any heading as in a severe dive or very hard banked turn.

Does your Rudder as as much throw as the Elevaator when Guardian is switched Off?

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:37 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
I had it on my SBACH 342 on the COG, but its totally destroyed now!.

Not touching the switch within the 15 seconds unless resetting trims from the flight before.

I could reset it via the laptop in the evening and in the morning it would be not be level again on the artificial horizon and after 10 min you could see it drifting around. SO I stopped using 2D as it was never consistent.
Ugh! What happened???
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:02 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Ugh! What happened???
I'm learning aerobatics on a SBACH & a 3D parkflyer MX2, I will do some stuff with the Guardian turned on & then try with it turned off.

Anyway the guardian was off and doing a relatively low pass up side down at high speed, hit the ground. I suspect I pulled back instead of pushing forward. 2 steps forward in this case 3 steps back in the learning process.