HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
/\ ...+1
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,085 Posts
Guardian Maiden

I concur with Charles.
I posted a message about a maiden flight for my eFlite Habu 32 EDF. I used the Guardian, medium rates, lots of taxiing up/down runway to get a feel, then went for it and had zero problems.

I had tried to get more experienced members to do the maiden flight, but landings were disasters (broken retracts, one broken wing, etc.) The Guardian allows one to focus primarily on throttle and descent rate management.

I still would prefer a new bird have the kinks removed by an experienced pilot, but I have now performed the maiden flight on three birds, with a Guardian in 3D mode, medium gain settings, and all successful.

I make practice approaches to judge speed, descent rate, etc., and it is a pleasure to watch the Guardian keeping the bird flying smoothly as I focus on what's important to develop confidence for a successful landing.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
The Guardian 2D/3D as long as it is correctly installed and setup does in fact make first flights easier ,period.

There are many who's first RC flights were with ready to fly e Flite planes with their
AS3X stabilization system and many were with aircraft which were really a bad choice for a new flyer yet they were sucessful. The AS3X has made many of the difficult to almost impossible to fly models flyable by most. IMO the Guardian 2D/3D works a lot better .

Charles
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
What kind of master gain and axis gains have you guys found was useful for the first flight? I may be able to maiden my RMRC Penguin FPV plane this weekend and will not have much time to tweak it. I have the master gain set to my gear switch with full travel 100 to -100. As I understand it that translates to 100% gain and 0% or OFF. My axis gains are setup for the right direction at 40 on each one. I have the AUX 2 (3 way) switch hooked up to the MODE.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:44 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,085 Posts
Initial Gain Settings

My initial settings depend upon the potential speed range of the model; e.g., a park flyer vs. an entry EDF (e.g., PZ Habu 2), vs. a wider speed range EDF (e.g., eFlite Habu 32 Fiberglass).

If a typical trainer, park flyer, sport scale, etc., I set the POTS to fairly close to 100% in the proper direction (CW/CCW). I then use the default gain of 40% if my reading of the manual is correct (either set the knob, or leave GAIN channel disconnected as many of my birds do not have two spare channels for the Guardian.)

If a middle of the road model, then I cut the POTS down to about 60 - 75% (judgement call - rely upon automatic desensitizing of the Guardian). If a wide speed range, then I err on the lower side: typically 40 - 50% for the POTS.

If I have BOTH MODE and GAIN channels available, then I leave the POTS set to 100%, and set the GAIN to middle or slightly below. I then crank it up/down as a function of what the surfaces are doing, but have found that mid gain settings seems to have worked on all except my Carbon-Z Yak 54 where I had to go a little lower for the ailerons.

After six units in about eight models (relocated a few after comfortable flying with Guardian off), I feel pretty good about setting the Guardian up and judging the approximate gain settings. As I indicated, only the Carbon-Z caught me a little by surprise, but quickly tamed by cranking the gain down.

The great thing about the Guardian is that, even if the gain is too high, the bird is stable enough to take my hand off the stick, crank the gain knob down, then be ready to resume stick movement for a turnaround...

The only difference is wind: moderate, then 3D all the way. Strong (20 or more, gusts, cross-wind), then 2D for TO and L.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
What kind of master gain and axis gains have you guys found was useful for the first flight? I may be able to maiden my RMRC Penguin FPV plane this weekend and will not have much time to tweak it. I have the master gain set to my gear switch with full travel 100 to -100. As I understand it that translates to 100% gain and 0% or OFF. My axis gains are setup for the right direction at 40 on each one. I have the AUX 2 (3 way) switch hooked up to the MODE.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,054 Posts
Quote:
The Guardian 2D/3D as long as it is correctly installed and setup does in fact make first flights easier ,period.

There are many who's first RC flights were with ready to fly e Flite planes with their AS3X stabilization system and many were with aircraft which were really a bad choice for a new flyer yet they were sucessful. The AS3X has made many of the difficult to almost impossible to fly models flyable by most. IMO the Guardian 2D/3D works a lot better .

Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I concur with Charles. I agree with
I posted a message about a maiden flight for my eFlite Habu 32 EDF. I used the Guardian, medium rates, lots of taxiing up/down runway to get a feel, then went for it and had zero problems.
Without a doubt, if you are on your own, or determined to do it yourself, a Guardian can improve your chances of a successful outcome. If help is available, however, it would be foolish not to use it. The "correctly installed" part is more likely to be accomplished for one thing. I agree with Prof100 that the first flight on a new plane should be made with Guardian off, trimmed properly, landed and Guardian trims reset. Most first-timers aren't able to do that alone. I've also recommended activating the Guardian for the first time at a safe altitude. If the pots are wrong or it's hooked up wrong, better to discover that there than at full throttle 3' off the ground.

Remember, those AS3X planes come out of the box with the deflections correct, linkages correct, CG correct, and stabilizer installed and adjusted properly for the plane. And Snowflake, it doesn't sound like that Habu was the first plane you flew.

It's probably not too much of a stretch to say that all of us have made at least one mistake installing a Guardian, usually caught and corrected in short order but it's not generally our first plane ever.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,759 Posts
I truely wish that some would stop trying to make it sound like the Guardian 2d/3D is complicated to setup in a basic configuration.

Forget the remote gain, set pots to 10 Oclaock or 2 O clock depending on the direction the servos need to repsond, do the set level drill , move the plane around by hand to double check servos correction movements are correct and fly the plane.

The only issue I had with a Guardian was during early beta testing when there was a very serious bug in the firware and I caught it on the bench and to the best of my knowledge I was the only one testing that beta version as it had a mix. addation I had requested.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,453 Posts
Quote:
I truely wish that some would stop trying to make it sound like the Guardian 2d/3D is complicated to setup in a basic configuration.

Forget the remote gain, set pots to 10 Oclaock or 2 O clock depending on the direction the servos need to repsond, do the set level drill , move the plane around by hand to double check servos correction movements are correct and fly the plane.

The only issue I had with a Guardian was during early beta testing when there was a very serious bug in the firware and I caught it on the bench and to the best of my knowledge I was the only one testing that beta version as it had a mix. addation I had requested.

Charles
Charles,

I don't know who you are referring to regarding setting up a Guardian as being complicated. I have not said so but I do recommend that new RC flyer have teacher or tutor to help them learn how to fly RC planes. A Guardian will make things much easier for a newbie by reducing "pilot workload." Experienced flyers get a similar benefit.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:22 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,703 Posts
Anybody know of an Australian distributor of the Eagletree Guardian.
It seems HK can't supply nor give any indication as to when stock may become available so I cancelled my order/backorder there.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Jul 2006
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Charles,

I don't know who you are referring to regarding setting up a Guardian as being complicated. I have not said so but I do recommend that new RC flyer have teacher or tutor to help them learn how to fly RC planes. A Guardian will make things much easier for a newbie by reducing "pilot workload." Experienced flyers get a similar benefit.

Bill
Hi Grantham,

Mongrel gear is an Aussie distributor. Haven't bought from them however.

Mike.
http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/the-mo...&category_id=8
miksterr is offline Find More Posts by miksterr
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Holy cow, this product really works. I flew a 39" foamy with the Guadian installed today and it held heading far better than I expected. It really locked on to the attitude the plane was in when the sticks were centered and would immediately released when the sticks were moved. I was really impressed. Thank you Eagle Tree.
thaus is offline Find More Posts by thaus
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Anybody know of an Australian distributor of the Eagletree Guardian.
It seems HK can't supply nor give any indication as to when stock may become available so I cancelled my order/backorder there.
I purchased mine from Mongrel. Had a little mixup with the order, but that was fixed quickly with a few emails. You may still have a problem with availability. Their next shipment isn't due until December, and many (if not all of these) may be already spoken for.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Sorry if i've caused a bit of a debate or confusion by may be not getting my point accross well.

I am going to get the plane/Gaudians settings properly checked over by some one experienced at the club who will most likley carry out the maiden for me.

I will hope fully be buddied up/supervised to the point where i'm judged to be able to fly on my own.

I'm using the Guardian to help speed up my experience or learning curve not by trying to cheet on the amount of hours i would need to do but using it to enable me to fly more hours over a shorter period of time due to lost time due to wind.

This is really the wronge time of year to start flying over here being winter.

I've read this entire thread and lot of you experienced guys in this thread have stated you can fly in more windy conditions now you have the Guardian, the wind represents an even bigger chalenge to a learner who's trying to grasp the basics.

When i get to the stage i can fly on my own i'll have a partial safety net by flicking onto 2d, this might mean i can be slightly more adventurous than i would be with out so it could help me learn slightly quicker ?

Thanks very much for all your input and opinions so far.
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
If your in the Detroit, Michigan, USA area, Prop Shop Hobbies has a few instock (-1, hehehe). I was surprised to see them in the tx/rx counter.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Problem with software

I connect my new Guardian 2D/3D stablilizer in my PC via mini-USB port. I clicked on the Eagle Tree icon (version 10.43) which brought up the "Recorder Configuration Wizard". The LED flashed 3 times indicated it was connected. On the 2nd page of the wizard the "Next" button remains gray. In the background it brought up the "Data Recorder" screen which remained locked because the "Next" button remained gray. I read the troubleshooting tips but they were of no use.

Should I have my airplane battery connected?
conrad95037 is offline Find More Posts by conrad95037
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,085 Posts
PC Connection

Power to the Guardian comes via the USB connection, so you do not need the receiver battery connected for the PC interface to work.

It does sound as if the driver was not installed; hence the gray "Next" area.

Did you follow the directions about downloading the driver and the proper sequence of connecting the USB device and the ET Data Logger SW?

When I bring up the ET Data Logger SW, if the USB connection has not yet been established, I get a list of possible devices that it is expecting to have connected; one of them, of course, is the Guardian...

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad95037 View Post
I connect my new Guardian 2D/3D stablilizer in my PC via mini-USB port. I clicked on the Eagle Tree icon (version 10.43) which brought up the "Recorder Configuration Wizard". The LED flashed 3 times indicated it was connected. On the 2nd page of the wizard the "Next" button remains gray. In the background it brought up the "Data Recorder" screen which remained locked because the "Next" button remained gray. I read the troubleshooting tips but they were of no use.

Should I have my airplane battery connected?