SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Registered User
Galand's Avatar
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
I posted elsewhere but got no response. Maybe someone here can answer my Q.

I have an Eagletree Guardian ordered and I know it may be some time before it arrives due to demand, but, I am happy to wait.
My question is to anyone that may have used one.
Will the pitch/attitude be controlled enough to keep the plane level when flaps are extended so I don't have to mix elevator/flap?
From my understanding this should be the case.
Is 2D only wing levelling? (that is how it looks in the ads.)
I have a Guardian on a Mercury trainer setup to 2D, with moderate gains. Works very well but it definitely balloons when lowering the flaps but returns to level quite rapidly.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
Electric baptism 1975
DavidN's Avatar
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,920 Posts
If you have a Tx that allows slowing the flap deployment, that helps. Also slow down before deploying
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
Registered User
Galand's Avatar
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
If you have a Tx that allows slowing the flap deployment, that helps. Also slow down before deploying
The Tx is set to slow for the flaps and I have two stages. It is not a real issue but I think someone would be mistaken to believe that the Guardian holds the plane in a corset!
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,864 Posts
Good point! The Guardian can hold the attitude level but it can't do anything about the extra lift you introduce when the flaps deploy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
The Tx is set to slow for the flaps and I have two stages. It is not a real issue but I think someone would be mistaken to believe that the Guardian holds the plane in a corset!
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
thaus, sorry to hear about your issue. Can you confirm whether the issue you are having was resolved by connecting the Rx satellite, or are there other Rx related problems?
Billpa the receivers work fine now. They just needed the satellite antennae. Thank you.
thaus is offline Find More Posts by thaus
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Good point! The Guardian can hold the attitude level but it can't do anything about the extra lift you introduce when the flaps deploy.
True, but it sounds like he is saying the plane pitches up and then the Guardian corrects back to level. If this is the case it may be possible to improve this by increasing the gain and/or derivative gain.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:24 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,961 Posts
Lets face it, you still have to be the pilot. The Guardian can't control what you do with the throttle either. Maybe I should still use my flap/elevator mixer like I always have. My original question was "does it control the pitch when flap is deployed" I think I have my answer.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Snip from Post #1 Bold 2D Mode


Quote:
The Guardian "remembers" level flight for your model and returns it to level flight when needed,
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Guardian settings for a virgin flyer ?

I'm just finishing off setting my trainer up with the Guardian. I've mechanically set the recomended control throws for initial/sport flying as per the manual.

I was thinking these limited throws won't give the Gaudian much travel to play with to keep the plane steady in the wind ? May be if i mechanically set the throws to the aerobatic settings then electrically limit the throws on my TX with dual rates ?

Some back ground details....

I've not yet flown any thing bar a sim'.

The plane is an arising star by Seagull and the recomended throws are below.

I'm joining a club but i don't think they will have much experience with devices like the guardian so i thought this would be the best place to ask.

initial/sports flying throws

ail 3/8" up 3/8" down
elv 3/8" up 3/8" down
rud 1/2" right 1/2" left

aerobatic flying throws

1/2 - 1/2
5/8 - 5/8
1 - 1

Thanks
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy335touring View Post
I'm just finishing off setting my trainer up with the Guardian. I've mechanically set the recomended control throws for initial/sport flying as per the manual.

I was thinking these limited throws won't give the Gaudian much travel to play with to keep the plane steady in the wind ? May be if i mechanically set the throws to the aerobatic settings then electrically limit the throws on my TX with dual rates ?

Some back ground details....

I've not yet flown any thing bar a sim'.

The plane is an arising star by Seagull and the recomended throws are below.

I'm joining a club but i don't think they will have much experience with devices like the guardian so i thought this would be the best place to ask.

initial/sports flying throws

ail 3/8" up 3/8" down
elv 3/8" up 3/8" down
rud 1/2" right 1/2" left

aerobatic flying throws

1/2 - 1/2
5/8 - 5/8
1 - 1

Thanks

Not familiar with this plane, but if you have never flown for real, use the sport set up. That will be more than enough for you to get in trouble and for the G to hopefully get you out. Get somone in the club to check it out and do the maiden. Don't hesitate to ask for help from the club.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
But often down to earth
Floater73's Avatar
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Lets face it, you still have to be the pilot. The Guardian can't control what you do with the throttle either. Maybe I should still use my flap/elevator mixer like I always have. My original question was "does it control the pitch when flap is deployed" I think I have my answer.
If the Guardian is in 2D mode the flap to down elevator mix will cause the plane to pitch forward.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1960 View Post
Get somone in the club to check it out and do the maiden. Don't hesitate to ask for help from the club.
This is excellent advice. Unfortunately a Guardian isn't a substitute for the benefits of personal assistance for a first time flyer. It likely provides more ways to make a mistake. Even if your mentor isn't familiar with the Guardian he can check out your setup and test fly your plane with Guardian off, get you to a safe altitude to try your hand, advise you of safe procedures, and stand ready to take over if you need more help, especially landing.

When you activate Guardian for the first time airborne you should be at a safe altitude and stable, and ready to flip the switch back off if the plane does something unexpected. Don't wait until you are in trouble and don't try to take off with it until you know it is working OK airborne.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Long Eaton
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Thanks for the advice chaps, i will deffinately be buddied up for the maiden and have some one check it over properly before hand.
andy335touring is offline Find More Posts by andy335touring
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
The Guardian is NOT a flight instructor. It is there to combat winds by damping their effect and to maintain a heading (heading hold option) if you choose, or level it if desired (2D). But by no means is it an autopilot. The plane should be flown first and trimmed without the Guardian engaged. Land the plane and reset the Guardian trims.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
The Guardian 2D/3D as long as it is correctly installed and setup does in fact make first flights easier ,period.

There are many who's first RC flights were with ready to fly e Flite planes with their
AS3X stabilization system and many were with aircraft which were really a bad choice for a new flyer yet they were sucessful. The AS3X has made many of the difficult to almost impossible to fly models flyable by most. IMO the Guardian 2D/3D works a lot better .

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can I control Guardian stabilizer with DX6i? njwxyz Eagle Tree Systems 9 Jun 02, 2014 01:17 PM
Discussion GPS 2D Plots incomplete, 3D OK jackerbes Eagle Tree Systems 1 Oct 23, 2011 10:42 PM
Discussion Premier 1st generation, Gen 2 Vector unit, 2D or 3D motor unit lanternfly RC Kites 0 Oct 05, 2011 10:42 PM
Data 2d or 3d wing ribs? Marty7n Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 56 Sep 22, 2011 05:06 PM
Discussion 3View to 3D to 2d techasist CAD/CAM 0 Mar 27, 2011 01:19 AM