HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
I would think that you would want to start out with a multirotor + gimble setup before trying out a faster moving airplane or a more mechanically complicated helicopter.

Flite Test - H-Quad - SCRATCH BUILD (13 min 3 sec)

For $1000, you can have a little FPV airforce with the build shown above. There's also DIY gimbals.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Rx killer

I lost signal from my receiver when I hooked up the Guardian. All had been working fine before hand.

However when the plane was moved (roll or pitch) the servos functioned yet the tx would not control the servos. Thus the Guardian was controlling the servos but the tx could not. Now when I test the receiver output signal to the servos I get 0 micro second pulses only. When I set the rx up in the simplest form ie. battery to rx and one servo connected and no Guardian, the rx still issues no signal.

I can only conclude that the Guardian must have destroyed my receiver. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have tried rebinding to no avail. Further, I have destroyed 3 receivers trying to get the Guardian to work
thaus is offline Find More Posts by thaus
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:34 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Guardian / Receiver Problem?

I've installed six Guardian units in various planes with JR and Spektrum receivers and not had any problems. It almost seems as if you lost binding, somehow, but the gyros/accelerometers on the Guardian were doing their thing in the absence of receiver signals.

Connecting the Guardian has never affected my receiver / transmitter binding. I sure hope you get to the bottom of this; cannot be fun.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaus View Post
I lost signal from my receiver when I hooked up the Guardian. All had been working fine before hand.

However when the plane was moved (roll or pitch) the servos functioned yet the tx would not control the servos. Thus the Guardian was controlling the servos but the tx could not. Now when I test the receiver output signal to the servos I get 0 micro second pulses only. When I set the rx up in the simplest form ie. battery to rx and one servo connected and no Guardian, the rx still issues no signal.

I can only conclude that the Guardian must have destroyed my receiver. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have tried rebinding to no avail. Further, I have destroyed 3 receivers trying to get the Guardian to work
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:03 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
Thaus the other thought I had was that there was an issue with the wiring harness between the guardian & the Rx. However at this point I would contact Eagletree support with as much info as you can.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
I was hoping they would respond to my note on this form.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Check Receiver to Guardian Connector

Excellent point.

The connector can be tight. I always insert the plug while the Guardian is on the bench and carefully inspect the direction. I do recall one time that I thought I had inserted it fully, but I had not.

Worth a try for direction and fully seated; can't hurt.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Thaus the other thought I had was that there was an issue with the wiring harness between the guardian & the Rx. However at this point I would contact Eagletree support with as much info as you can.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Excellent point.

The connector can be tight. I always insert the plug while the Guardian is on the bench and carefully inspect the direction. I do recall one time that I thought I had inserted it fully, but I had not.

Worth a try for direction and fully seated; can't hurt.

Michael
On my first one I thought I had it fully inserted until it simply fell out on its own. It does take some care to get it right and then it stays securely. If the rx is not driving servos directly, however, this doesn't seem likely to be the problem.

I have occasionally unbound a rx accidentally by plugging something in to the bind plug. They tend to interpret any connection to the signal wire on the bind port as a bind command.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, TN, Unicoi
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
I apologise if this has been answered but I've read the whole thread and see conflicting answers. First of all I just ordered a precision aerobatics extra 260 and I want to use the guardian to only stabilize for windy conditions and have 2d bail out if I loose orentation I am confused as to whether or not I can set up low med and high rates and expo on all rates and if this will affect the guardian. I have the umx sbach with as3x and I love the performance it provides with wind gusts. This is what I want from the guardian and the bail out option. Any help would be greatly appreciated
quadflyer82 is offline Find More Posts by quadflyer82
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:

However when the plane was moved w(roll or pitch) the servos functioned yet the tx would not control the servos. Thus the Guardian was controlling the servos but the tx could not. Now when I test the receiver output signal to the servos I get 0 micro second pulses only. When I set the rx up in the simplest form ie. battery to rx and one servo connected and no Guardian, the rx still issues no signal.

What brand and model tx, rx's, esc/bec and servos are you using?

Did you make any adjustments to the servo pulses via the Software?

What voltage is your esc and or bec at?

Did you make sure the polarity was correct on all the plugs?

The Guardian and your servos receive power from the aileron connector. The rest of the plugs from the harness are single wired for signal. Are you by any chance wiring up something a little different? For example HV? Seperate BEC + ESC? Or perhaps a power distribution block?

Just trying to understand your setup for now.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
What brand and model tx, rx's, esc/bec and servos are you using?

Did you make any adjustments to the servo pulses via the Software?

What voltage is our esc and or bec at?

Did you make sure the polarity was correct on all the plugs?

The Guardian and your servos receive power from the aileron connector. The rest of the plugs from the harness are single wired for signal. Are you by any chance wiring up something a little different? For example HV? Seperate BEC + ESC? Or perhaps a power distribution block?

Just trying to understand your setup for now.
Jr 9303 Tx and Jr 921, esc is Orange 18 amp. Servos are 9g and hitec. I made no adjustments to servo pulse. The measured voltage from the esc is 5 v. All polarity was correct. I have connected no other equipment to the circuit.

Thanks for you interest and help
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadflyer82 View Post
I apologise if this has been answered but I've read the whole thread and see conflicting answers. First of all I just ordered a precision aerobatics extra 260 and I want to use the guardian to only stabilize for windy conditions and have 2d bail out if I loose orentation I am confused as to whether or not I can set up low med and high rates and expo on all rates and if this will affect the guardian. I have the umx sbach with as3x and I love the performance it provides with wind gusts. This is what I want from the guardian and the bail out option. Any help would be greatly appreciated
The AS3X system works in "Rate" mode. The Guardian on the otherhand offers both Rate and Head Holding. So if you wanted something like AS3X, then you would want to set the Guardian's 3D mode in Rate. In addition, you can also enable what's called "Direct Rate", not to be confused with the above. Using this allows you to control the rotational rate of Pitch, Roll, and Yaw, and doing so - I find it works better than using expo or dual rates on your TX. Similar to the AS3X, "Direct Rate" will override the gyro's when you move the sticks.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 25, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Jr 9303 Tx and Jr 921, esc is Orange 18 amp. Servos are 9g and hitec. I made no adjustments to servo pulse. The measured voltage from the esc is 5 v. All polarity was correct. I have connected no other equipment to the circuit.

Thanks for you interest and help
I looked at the Jr 921 manual, and it states that you have to have at least 1 satellite rx connected to it inorder for it to operate. Do you have one connected? If so, make sure that those delicate wires have not been pulled out of the tiny connectors. I've had issues with these remote rx connectors in the past (heli's with the satellite stuck to the side of the airframe. Wires were often handled when heli was moved about), and have experienced the exact thing you've described.
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Remote Receiver

Excellent suggestion. I had one remote receiver connector partially pull out while trying to tuck wires in/around other components. I went nuts trying to figure out why I had lost binding until I systematically tugged/pushed on all the connectors.

I also had a remote receiver give up the ghost - replaced with another one and all worked fine.

I would suggest unplugging the Guardian, see if rcvr and servos work as before, with satellite, then systematically go through installing the Guardian. I strongly suspect that it is something along the lines already suggested: loose Guardian white plug to rcvr, inadvertent bind connection on rcvr, loose satellite rcvr, etc.

Removing the Guardian should allow you to start fresh from a known state.

Good luck. It will be worth it.

Michael

Quote:
I looked at the Jr 921 manual, and it states that you have to have at least 1 satellite rx connected to it inorder for it to operate. Do you have one connected? If so, make sure that those delicate wires have not been pulled out of the tiny connectors. I've had issues with these remote rx connectors in the past, and have experienced the exact thing you've described.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
28 Posts
Quote:
I looked at the Jr 921 manual, and it states that you have to have at least 1 satellite rx connected to it inorder for it to operate. Do you have one connected? If so, make sure that those delicate wires have not been pulled out of the tiny connectors. I've had issues with these remote rx connectors in the past, and have experienced the exact thing you've described.
Silver express you saved me weeks of time . I was going to send the rx in for repair. and buy another rx and esc. All the 921 needed was the extra remote rx. It already had 2 permanent wires coming out of the case and the rx would bind with the 2 wires, so it looked correct.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, TN, Unicoi
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Ok will try if I don't like the feel can I just use the direct rate mode and still use hi med and low settings with expo
quadflyer82 is offline Find More Posts by quadflyer82