HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,637 Posts
+1 Charles and Bill

Rick
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Read all of the post in this thread and you will see that there are many of us using the Guardian 2D/3D and having excellent results. Charles
The first problem I had of thge unit(s) not applying the correct level of corrective input had not 1 person being able to say why.

The 2nd problem of the usb granted was probably my fault but it still shouldnt have happened. It should have been designed much stronger then it is. I have never broken any other device with usb and it has been admited
that its a weak spot in the design.

Still noone has been able to explain why the 2nd unit went from not working to working without me changing anything , then back to not working again.

Also noone has been able to explain why another club member had one setup
and working whit it failing mid flight almost resulting in a crash.
He has now removed the guardian from his plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Agreed. The lack of knowing how to program a radio is more of a problem than I realized. Like you said, the new user tries to use too many features to begin. The motto should be to start simple and then experiment.

Bill
Instructions arent hard to follow, I'm not a dumbass, clubmembers also couldnt get them working

Im not sure why you stated " to many features" when you have no idea of my setup. I wouldnt have said 2d /off / 3d on the flap switch in a vtail plane is a complicated setup

The way I understood it is basic programing for the TX and all the mixing is done
on the 2d3d unit itsself.

I had the mode switch all working as intended and all correct inputs , outputs were correct when it was working.

The orange 3axis worked better then these units have so far.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
The first problem I had of thge unit(s) not applying the correct level of corrective input had not 1 person being able to say why.

The 2nd problem of the usb granted was probably my fault but it still shouldnt have happened. It should have been designed much stronger then it is. I have never broken any other device with usb and it has been admited
that its a weak spot in the design.

Still noone has been able to explain why the 2nd unit went from not working to working without me changing anything , then back to not working again.

Also noone has been able to explain why another club member had one setup
and working whit it failing mid flight almost resulting in a crash.
He has now removed the guardian from his plane.

Instructions arent hard to follow, I'm not a dumbass, clubmembers also couldnt get them working

Im not sure why you stated " to many features" when you have no idea of my setup. I wouldnt have said 2d /off / 3d on the flap switch in a vtail plane is a complicated setup

The way I understood it is basic programing for the TX and all the mixing is done
on the 2d3d unit itsself.

I had the mode switch all working as intended and all correct inputs , outputs were correct when it was working.

The orange 3axis worked better then these units have so far.
Did you contact Eagletree and get help? They do have customer service.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
880 Posts
from all the positive feedback i've seen here - i'm happy to spend the cash on one ..but have couple of questions ...

I have a JR 2610 I'd like to set up with this...
no 3 way toggle switch, anyone help me how to setup the flap/gear to enable this?
2d/3d/off?

Do i only have the option of setting it up with 2d/3d switched and no ability to turn it off? (not that it seems like i'd want to anyway)

Also no rotary switch -so no in flight gain adjustment - i dont think it's an issue but how do setup the pots - what % ?

Are they easy to setup as the initial video certainly seems lke they are almost plug n play

any pointers would be helpfull

cheers
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
from all the positive feedback i've seen here - i'm happy to spend the cash on one ..but have couple of questions ...

I have a JR 2610 I'd like to set up with this...
no 3 way toggle switch, anyone help me how to setup the flap/gear to enable this?
2d/3d/off?

Do i only have the option of setting it up with 2d/3d switched and no ability to turn it off? (not that it seems like i'd want to anyway)

Also no rotary switch -so no in flight gain adjustment - i dont think it's an issue but how do setup the pots - what % ?

Are they easy to setup as the initial video certainly seems lke they are almost plug n play

any pointers would be helpfull

cheers
I have Guardians on multiple planes and two different Spektrum radios -- a DX7 (old style) and a DX6i which has no 3 position switch. I use the DX6i flap switch for 2D and 3D and slave the Aux switch for off. It is just programming your radio.

No master gain is no problem. You just land and make adjustments to each pot. Start with pots set to 50% and fly it. If it oscillates, then turn down gain.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 31, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
3d nut
modesto ca
Joined Jan 2008
96 Posts
The problem may be not knowing how to program my radio. I am going to give spectrum a call and tell the what I am trying to do, the give eagle tree a call what is gmt-7
paul kelley is offline Find More Posts by paul kelley
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:45 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul kelley View Post
The problem may be not knowing how to program my radio. I am going to give spectrum a call and tell the what I am trying to do, the give eagle tree a call what is gmt-7
Greenwich Mean Time minus 7 hours. That would be California and west coast depending on daylight savings time.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:29 AM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
354 Posts
just search for greenwich time http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:34 AM
3d nut
modesto ca
Joined Jan 2008
96 Posts
ha choochoo22 do you fly a rancho san antonio?
paul kelley is offline Find More Posts by paul kelley
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:49 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,248 Posts
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday! Gonna put it in an old Phase 3 F-16 for starters. A touchy little jet that I've lost orientation on a few times lately, and the wrong input gets things out of shape pretty quick. Should be a good test for the unit.

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:52 AM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul kelley View Post
ha choochoo22 do you fly a rancho san antonio?
Rarely, I usually fly at Baylands or Los Banos.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:10 AM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday! Gonna put it in an old Phase 3 F-16 for starters. A touchy little jet that I've lost orientation on a few times lately, and the wrong input gets things out of shape pretty quick. Should be a good test for the unit.

Cheers,

Dan.
Sounds like a good application. Let me suggest that you sort out the throws, trim, and CG before you install the Guardian. It may be able to overcome these shortcomings but it will fly better if it doesn't have to, and a lot better when you switch it off.

Another suggestion; I recently had an "energetic arrival" flying a plane with a Guardian that I know pretty well. I was flying inverted, fairly low, and headed in the general direction of a small hill, when I accidentally flew behind a tree. There are at least three ways the Guardian could have saved my bacon but it didn't because I panicked and tried to manually fly and recover a plane I could not see. If you are expecting it to save you, Guardian won't help unless you are prepared to engage it in an instant. You need to learn what it can do, trust it to do that, and be ready with your finger on the switch when you recognize dicey situations arising. In this regard it might be best to try it out in a more well behaved plane first to get the feel of it. OK, three suggestions.
Last edited by choochoo22; Nov 01, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,248 Posts
Thanks Choo.

I've been flying this one for five years now, so I'm pretty comfortable with it - except when I can't tell which way it's banked - e.g. fast, going away, getting small and some gust deflection.

The plan is to fly it slow, closer and high while I'm testing and familiarising with the Guardian. I'll do drills until I'm comfy with it, then start to expand the envelope again. One drill will be one like you described: manual inverted, to 2d recovery, to manual climb.

Thanks for the advice. Still have to program it, install it, re-read the manual and troll through 150 pages of thread before I commit to aviating.

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
44 Posts
P3 F16 Gx 2D3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
Thanks Choo.

I've been flying this one for five years now, so I'm pretty comfortable with it - except when I can't tell which way it's banked - e.g. fast, going away, getting small and some gust deflection.

The plan is to fly it slow, closer and high while I'm testing and familiarising with the Guardian. I'll do drills until I'm comfy with it, then start to expand the envelope again. One drill will be one like you described: manual inverted, to 2d recovery, to manual climb.

Thanks for the advice. Still have to program it, install it, re-read the manual and troll through 150 pages of thread before I commit to aviating.

Cheers,

Dan.
I will be very interested in your setup and results. I have installed Guardian in a new F16 (predecessor totalled in a "through the sun - loss of orientation" crash. The small F16 can become a stealth jet in a hurry. I decided to run elevons with Guardian rather than in the Tx, per instructions. Weather has prevented a test flight. I set pots to 40%, Master Gain to 100%, checked proper correction direction. Everything appears to be working. Plan to fly initially with Gx disabled, activate at altitude. This worked with Gx in EFlite Super Cub, anyhow. Our flying season here has been cut short by Sandy - winds even the Guardian wouldn't handle and you need floats at our field!

Good Luck,
Jim
JDougherty, Erie is offline Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Last edited by JDougherty, Erie; Nov 01, 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:13 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Jim - I suggest that you turn the pots down to 30%, I'm guessing that even with a modest power setup you are hitting at least 100, the faster you go the less gain you need

Having a camera rolling

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747