HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Agree - Also even patterns and loops are easier since the guardian maintains heading so you can enter and come out one the correct line. I am a hack at 3d and pattern and the guardian gave me accuracy I didn't have (I shouldn't admit that ) !

Al
True, Did not even think about that, there really going to have to start checking peoples aircraft at contests with this device even a guy I know could most likely take 5th or best in a contest now using this device
I wonder if it would hurt me however cause I could see myself fighting it. Since I already know all the stick inputs to give when in a 3D maneuver I guess I have to learn not to touch the sticks Look mom no hands
I guess my flying a plane with my TX behind my back will not be impressive anymore
I have been in RC flight for 23 years I just can not believe how far we have come technology is great best thing is this device is under $100 the co pilot is like $200 and something and from what I have seen so far it doesn't do as well as this does.
Now only if they can make it work with a helicopter that would be great
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Now with a total of 15 Guardian 2D/3D flights on one of my Mini Gremlins and 11 flight with it in my Lil-Banchee I will no longer be impressed with videos of many 3D or pattern flying unless they have a no flight statilization used disclaimer. Guardian make it so very easy to look so much better than you really are.
My memory is that at least some of the aerobatic contest rules that I have seen in the past have banned all forms of gyros, auto-pilots, etc.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
I just searched the Eagletree website & this thread for info on the voltage range for this device & came up blank. Perhaps this has not been finalized but any info welcome.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
It works within standard receiver voltage range ,as I posted above it is powered thru the ail. channel input leads from the receiver.

It will drop out at 4volts I believe(from memory ) and ET recomends using a seperate BEC if the one in your ESC is marginal / questionable. As to the max. voltage I have no idea as I only use nonimal 5 and 6V servos.

Power consumption is listed as 50 mA.

FYI The manual is still in flux and even us beta testers do not have all of the specs.

Quote:
Update 8:12 PM :I wnet back and looked for low voltage and all I could find was mention of Brown out but no specific voltage.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 27, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Low voltage comments
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I wonder if it would hurt me however cause I could see myself fighting it. Since I already know all the stick inputs to give when in a 3D maneuver I guess I have to learn not to touch the sticks Look mom no hands
No it wont fight you in 3d ! you can make as many adjustments as you want !! you will just find that you won't need to make adjustments once you get it on track !!!

their 3D mode is really natural - for non FPV - I can see myself flying that mode 95% of the time!!

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
2D mode is great for when you need to swath a bug,adjust your sunglasses cap etc.

3D Mode is like it is not even there except the wind does not blown the plane all around , motor / prop torgue is no longer an issue, knife edges and four points can be tweaked with little effort.

Charles
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
Thanks re voltage Charles.
Please post if you come across info on 2S lipo voltage range.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
It works within standard receiver voltage range ,as I posted above it is powered thru the ail. channel input leads from the receiver.

It will drop out at 4volts I believe(from memory ) and ET recomends using a seperate BEC if the one in your ESC is marginal / questionable. As to the max. ...
Thanks. I may be using small servos that are meant for 4.2V max. (which is low for some receivers).
It sounds like some testing is in order if I also run a Guardian at that voltage.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
I seem to have remembered incorrectly

Update 8:12 PM :I went back and looked for low voltage and all I could find was mention of Brown out but no specific voltage.
The Guardian will blink an error code if Brown out does accrue
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 27, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:05 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
I seem to have remembered incorrectly

Update 8:12 PM :I wnet back and looked for low voltage and all I could find was mention of Brown out but no specific voltage.
The Guardian will blink an error code if Brown out does accrue
Thanks for the update.
What is kind of unusual (to me) is that even with other Eagle Tree products, I cannot seem to find a listing of the allowed voltage range.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
Well for the past 50 years nonimal 5V (4 cell Ni) has been the standard for reveivers and servo and for the past 35 years or so some have been also rated nonimal 6V (5 cell Ni).Some servos even today are listed for 4 Ni cell only.

It has only been fairly recently that 1 and 2S Micros have start to be a bit more common. My first 1S was only a little iover two years ago and most that fly ultra micros on 1S do not want to add even 1/2 grams much less the 11 grams of a Guardian 2D/3D.

The higher voltage recievers are also fairly new as well as higher voltage servos.

Designing a device foreveryone / all purposes is not the norm and extra voltage regulation / sperate circuits would add extrea cost ,weigh and size,These are just my opinons / observations..

I believe there are Match boxs that are used in larger models that seperate receiver and servo power supplies as well as syncronize multi servos on a single flight surface. No expert in this are as I not not fly $3,000 plus models..

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 28, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:50 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
It has only been fairly recently that 1 and 2S Micros have start to be a bit more common. My first 1S was only a little iover two years ago and most that fly ultra micros on 1S do not want to add even 1/2 grams much less the 11 grams of a Guardian 2D/3D.

Designing a device foreveryone / all purposes is not the norm and extra voltage regulation / sperate circuits would add extrea cost ,weigh and size,These are just my opinons / observations..

True. I was not expecting extra voltage regulation or anything like that.
I was just hoping to be told what acceptable voltage range is, like what I told for my older GWS 72Mhz receivers.
Then I will know when and what type of voltage "games" to play.

My main thing is that I have 4g or less servos that may be unhappy much over ~4.2V,
so if I need to run the Guardian at 5V, I can either drop the supply voltage by ~0.7V to each servo using a silicon diode or run a separate ~4.2V voltage to all the servos.
Last edited by flying-llama; Mar 28, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Restructure phrase for "older GWS 72Mhz receivers"
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
Yesterday I decided that I really needed to break down and put a bit more powerful motor on the Lil-Banchee,especially as I had purchased the motor over two years ago.
So with new motor installed.

A snip from another post

Quote:
Took some measurements. Wing Span 31" ,wing area aprox.325 sq.in (not including stab) ,all up weight with 3S 1000 mAh Lipoly 18 oz. with new motor I just installed.
Static went from 132watts to 217 and thrust from 26 oz. to 38 oz.. Now I just need to flight test this extra power which it really needed. Flew OK but crawled out of a hover and I like them to punch out.
Another great morning for flying , 50F partly cloudy and barely a breeze. First flight at 7:30AM and four more followed.
Flys like it should now and no doubt will get flown a great deal more now. I only had 24 flights on it in 32 months and have added 19 since installing the Guardian 2D/3D.

FYI Six flight with Guardian aboard was on March 22 nd. six whole days ago.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=194

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: corrected # of flight s with Guardian 2D/3D
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Al, EDF. We wanna see video
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,516 Posts
Al posted video many pages back. All a video could show is an aircraft being flown in 3D that looks like just another 3D flight with the exception that the sticks are not being move nearly as much for minor course corrections, wing rock free harries,hands off hovers,knife edges etc. and unless they are semi to professionally done with pix. in a box showing transmitter and aircraft on the screen real time how can you gage the difference in pilot's ability sans Guardian and Guardians abilities?

In someways I hate to do this but best examples I am aware of are over ing the RTF Micro Forum. There everyone is raving about the AS3X system and how great it works and how they are able to fly a 3D Micro Beast in up to 28 MPH winds. I have seen the videos of the aircraft being parked in a 20 MPH or so wind ,being flown backward when throttle is reduced and forward when throttled back up. Now consider that most of these pilots leave there 4 foot and larger 3D planes in their vechiles and fly the Beast 3D in such winds as it handles it better. AS3X will not maintain a hands off hover or a knife edge or straight and level flight ,inverted flight etc. It does not have multi modes, can not be tweaked,or turned off.

Perhaps go back and read this post again by someone with Beast V1 (no stabilization) Beast 3d with and larger 3D aircraft. He also is an active poster with videos in the ARFT Micros Beast Thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=197

My son got to fly my Lill-Banchee for one 6 min. flight(he had someplace else he had to be) and he will likely post his comments when time is available. I hope he gets many more flights on it soon as he is moving out this way and infact 5 miles closer to my flying site than I am..\\A snip from his post #211

Quote:
I guess my flying a plane with my TX behind my back will not be impressive anymore
Sounds like a brag perhaps to some but as they say it is not bragging if you can do it and indeed he can and with the greatest of ease not only fixed wing but helis also. Yes I am proud of his flying abilities and wish I could take all the credit but thruth is I taugh him to fly 23 years ago and encourged him and help out with batteries and setups but he far surpassed by flying abiliteis about 8 years ago.

3-31 Added Link to a feather weight Micro being flown in some rather stiff wind . Not Guardian 2D/3D equiped but rather AS3X and while very good for providing dampening does not provide near the flexibilities.

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary aerobatics, elevator landings, etc. (9 min 30 sec)

5:45 into video is where it backward flight is first shown.

I have madet he comment several times that HH / E Flite is doing a great job of making the masses aware of flight stabalization . Microcs can now be flown in a much wider wind speed range ,flown by less experienced pilots etc. Just imagine what kind of conditions a decent pilot can fly a larger aircraft in with a Guardian onboard.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM.