HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Perhaps second link posted here will help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1651
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Dan,

This should be an interesting response. I don't use a JR Multibox but I would think it should work.

Bill
Thanks. I guess I'll just try it and see
Will let the forum know the results.
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul kelley View Post
Hi I am in need of some help. I just bought a Eagle Tree 2d/3d gyro. I hook it up to a ar6115 according to the instruction. Here are some question. What do I do with the Mod plug, is the flap switch automatic assign per program to change Mods, if not how do I set it up to my flap switch? I have a DX8. The way it set up now, the gyro is aways on, with no way to turn it off are change Mods. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Oh ya with the way I have it set up the Ale, and elevator dose work, the rudder move just a little. It seem to me that I need a 7 channel RX for the Mod plug.
On my DX8 I use a fairly simple setup with the flap switch controlling mode and the knob controlling gain. Other setups are possible to taste or aircraft configuration. My setup is:
  • 6 channel receiver
  • Plug Mod into Aux1, Gain into Gear
  • In the "Switch Select" menu; Gear - Inh, Knob - Gear
  • Option to use the Aux 2 on the right side for mode (I like it better on the left); Aux2 - Inh, Flap - Aux2
  • In "Servo Setup"; reverse Gear channel (Makes the knob work clockwise for high gain)
JJ604 lists a somewhat more sophisticated setup here.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Last edited by choochoo22; Oct 29, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Oh ya with the way I have it set up the Ale, and elevator dose work, the rudder move just a little. It seem to me that I need a 7 channel RX for the Mod plug.
With mode not connected the default is 2D always on. In 2D, very little rudder movement is visible on the ground. This is normal. When you get 3D active you should see more rudder movement.

Make absolutely sure Guardian is moving the surfaces in the right direction. You may need to change the pots on the Guardian to fix this. This video and the manual cover that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Rt8Y3Lxnv-0
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
To bad this video is misleading.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
To bad this video is misleading.
Why do you say it is misleading? It is pretty straightforward.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:05 PM
3d nut
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
I see what my problem is, I have my lift ale in aux1. I have to use a Y on my ALE, or use a 7 channel RX to use aux1 for my lift ale and use my Mod plug on the 7th channel and mix it in to my flap switch.
paul kelley is offline Find More Posts by paul kelley
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,193 Posts
Quote:
I see what my problem is, I have my lift ale in aux1. I have to use a Y on my ALE, or use a 7 channel RX to use aux1 for my lift ale and use my Mod plug on the 7th channel and mix it in to my flap switch.
Here's a thought. If you want to stay with a 6 channel you could forgo the gain control. I wouldn't want to be without a mode switch but once past setup and initial flight testing, the gain isn't really necessary and even then it's just a convenience. You really only need it if your plane has a wide speed range, say where you hover one minute and fly fast the next.

Come to think of it. I haven't tried this but I think there is a provision in the Guardian to drive a second aileron from its aux channel. You could probably use this instead of a Y if you don't have flaperons or differential you could still use your 6 channel rx.
Last edited by choochoo22; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
3d nut
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
This is what I'm going to try, put the Mod plug from the guardian to the aux1 on the Rx, assign the aux1 to the gain knob on the Tx. connect the aux from the guardian to the lift servo, this should work, I have to modify a servo extinction with female end on both sides, what do you think? Or just use a Y. I don't need flaps
paul kelley is offline Find More Posts by paul kelley
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:56 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
195 Posts
Like choochoo said, I use a 6ch Rx, map mode to flap switch, second aileron to aux1 and then set the 3 gains for modest corrections using the default master gain. By default with a dx8 using flap for mode you will switch between 2d and 3d. If you want to try off and just 2d or just 3d set one of the flap endpoints to zero. Cheers
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:59 AM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlestonian View Post
Guys I just can't put them on all my planes I have 45 flyable planes.

Why not sell some planes and use the money to buy the guardians?

(hands over eyes awaiting a reply on this one :-)
only joking
It would be like selling your kids

Bill
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Why do you say it is misleading? It is pretty straightforward.
Its missleading because it implys that is works.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Last edited by The_RattleSnake; Oct 30, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Its missleading because it implys that is works.
Read all of the post in this thread and you will see that there are many of us using the Guardian 2D/3D and having excellent results. Some are so happy with the unit's performance that they keep purchasing more and more of them as they want one in each aircraft they have.

After my first flights with one I posted that it was the most amazing electronic RC device I had ever tested. I have posted numerious times that for some aircraft and some flyers it is worth the $75 cost if it is only used for take offs and landings so that one can fly at times when normaly the wind would have them grounded.

A few have had difficulty getting their's set up properly,often this is due to lack of understanding the Guardian's programing and often the user not being clear on how to program their tansmitter. Some make it more difficult for them selfs by trying to use all of the feacture right from the very beginning instead of starting simple and learning as they go.

Short video of my Lil Banchee 3D hovering hands off in in some rather breezy conditions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=301

Without Guardian 2D/3D this one stays on the ground in over 6 MPH winds.With the Guardian installed I have flown it in up to 15 MPH gust wind, I have released it in 3D mode with nose up 45 degress, in a nose up / tilted left and right in high alpha knife edges, inverted with nose up . I have took it upwind placed in a hands off hover and let it drift in the wind where it covered approximately . 400 feet in 3 minutes at which time I took controll and flew it back to the runway area. It has been hovered hands off in all four orientations to the wind. I have done knife edge passes back and forth using throttle and rudder only.

I fly a combat wing that loves to get squirly on launch and thus break props and knock firewalls loose. With a Guardian 2D/3D installed I just point nose up a bit run up the throttle flip to 3D release and enjoy watching a perfect launch.

Sure works great for me.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Read all of the post in this thread and you will see that there are many of us using the Guardian 2D/3D and having excellent results. Some are so happy with the unit's performance that they keep purchasing more and more of them as they want one in each aircraft they have.

After my first flights with one I posted that it was the most amazing electronic RC device I had ever tested. I have posted numerious times that for some aircraft and some flyers it is worth the $75 cost if it is only used for take offs and landings so that one can fly at times when normaly the wind would have them grounded.

A few have had difficulty getting their's set up properly,often this is due to lack of understanding the Guardian's programing and often the user not being clear on how to program their tansmitter. Some make it more difficult for them selfs by trying to use all of the feacture right from the very beginning instead of starting simple and learning as they go.

Short video of my Lil Banchee 3D hovering hands off in in some rather breezy conditions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=301

Without Guardian 2D/3D this one stays on the ground in over 6 MPH winds.With the Guardian installed I have flown it in up to 15 MPH gust wind, I have released it in 3D mode with nose up 45 degress, in a nose up / tilted left and right in high alpha knife edges, inverted with nose up . I have took it upwind placed in a hands off hover and let it drift in the wind where it covered approximately . 400 feet in 3 minutes at which time I took controll and flew it back to the runway area. It has been hovered hands off in all four orientations to the wind. I have done knife edge passes back and forth using throttle and rudder only.

I fly a combat wing that loves to get squirly on launch and thus break props and knock firewalls loose. With a Guardian 2D/3D installed I just point nose up a bit run up the throttle flip to 3D release and enjoy watching a perfect launch.

Sure works great for me.
Charles
Agreed. The lack of knowing how to program a radio is more of a problem than I realized. Like you said, the new user tries to use too many features to begin. The motto should be to start simple and then experiment.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,193 Posts
Quote:
This is what I'm going to try, put the Mod plug from the guardian to the aux1 on the Rx, assign the aux1 to the gain knob on the Tx. connect the aux from the guardian to the lift servo, this should work, I have to modify a servo extinction with female end on both sides, what do you think? Or just use a Y. I don't need flaps
I wouldn't assign the knob to the mode channel. It will work, but it will be awkward to switch modes, especially with the knob on the right side. The 3 pos switch that is already on aux1 is perfect for mode 2D-off-3D. If you would rather use your right hand for mode, use the 3 pos aux2 switch on the right side. For me, if I need to switch modes in a hurry or think I might, my right hand is generally busy so I would rather have the mode on the left.

Some gyros use a single channel for mode and gain with one direction being rate mode and the other being heading hold and the magnitude of deflection controls the gain either way. Center is a virtual off as the gain is near zero. Guardian doesn't work that way. Switching modes has no effect on gain so there is no benefit to using a knob for mode control.

With a Y or Guardian driving your second aileron, you can still use the setup I suggested and have both mode and gain control.