HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Billc
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Set up "Guardian" for separate aileron control as per instructions. Only one aileron functions when connected to "Guardian". Removed unit and connected directly to receiver and both ailerons are functional. Connected left aileron to AUX on unit (Ail-2) as instructed and right aileron in the connection 3rd from the top labeled AIL. Tried two different wiring harnesses with the same result. Help
bcreelman is offline Find More Posts by bcreelman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
Thanks guys That will help me out I shouldn't have to extend the wires I'm putting the guardian in a 60mm Alfa Ta-183 Huckebein jet. I lost my first Ta-183 after a stall while in to steep of a turn. The Ta-183 also had a tendency to loop on take off so I'm hoping the Guardian will prevent this from happening with my new Ta-183. I also have a 90mm Ta-183 kit I want to use the Guardian in as well.
Is that plane flyable? Geeze. It sure doesn't look like it. The Guardian won't make an unflyable plane flyable.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Is that plane flyable? Geeze. It sure doesn't look like it. The Guardian won't make an unflyable plane flyable.
Actually it might, but I wouldn't want to bet a plane on it, especially not one with a lot of time and effort in it.

It looks like BadLemon modled "Design II" of the Ta-183. Design III looks a lot more flyable. Unfortunately it also looks a lot like a Mig-15, F-86, and some other contemporary planes which, I guess, makes Design II a more interesting choice for a model.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:07 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
921 Posts
Yes the Ta-183 can fly here is a video I shot of one of my flights and here is a link of this jet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226233

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=LO-KeUFuQwQ#
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Last edited by BadLemon; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:06 AM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
I had a similar but different issue. I had it installed and working in a T28. Then I swapped in a different Rx with 2 more channels so I could use the mode and gain controls. 1 aileron was only working maybe 5% of the throws of the other. Removed ETG and ailerons worked normally. This remains unresolved. Dx8 and Ar8000 Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcreelman View Post
Set up "Guardian" for separate aileron control as per instructions. Only one aileron functions when connected to "Guardian". Removed unit and connected directly to receiver and both ailerons are functional. Connected left aileron to AUX on unit (Ail-2) as instructed and right aileron in the connection 3rd from the top labeled AIL. Tried two different wiring harnesses with the same result. Help
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Well I have fixed my issue above. A couple of things I did. First up I replugged in everything to the Rx and rebinded (to make sure all channels were recognised). Also I reset the ETG to factory settings, and then remodified the custom servo travels back to 1100 and 1900 respectively (which they were on before I reset it). It seemed that after I did the latter, it came good again. I'm not sure exactly why though... Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindude View Post
Well I have fixed my issue above. A couple of things I did. First up I replugged in everything to the Rx and rebinded (to make sure all channels were recognised). Also I reset the ETG to factory settings, and then remodified the custom servo travels back to 1100 and 1900 respectively (which they were on before I reset it). It seemed that after I did the latter, it came good again. I'm not sure exactly why though... Cheers.
1100 to 1900 is good, as these are the 100% servo travel limit.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,247 Posts
Guardian solves EDF ballooning problem

My Exceed RC FA18 Hornet has an annoying problem where it pitches up when throttling back. It's probably a thrust angle problem but since this EDF is long in the tooth and glued back together a few times it's not worth the time to try to fix it. So, I installed a Guardian to see if it would correct the problem. I programmed heading hold on so it would keep the pitch angle level. It simply solved the annoying problem. Here is a short video where the landing was a non-event.
10-22-12 FA18 with Guardian, no ballooning. (1 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:07 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Any rumors as to when these will be back in stock? I've had one on order since August 31st.
I just bought one from this company.

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=822

Bill
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,296 Posts
Thank you very much Bill.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:03 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcreelman View Post
I've installed seperately controlled aileron servos on my PZ F4F recently and using the Guardians aux connector for one of them.

In the radio tx I had to setup the "Wing Type" for dual servo ailerons for this to work. I'm using a DX-8 and an AR8000 receiver. By the way, the AR8000 re-assigns the AUX1 servo port for a servo. I did not bother reading the DX-8 manual so it was trial and error to figure out which servo port was being used.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Bcreel you are right on the money, although i already had that on mine, plus single flap. Note you can see what channel is assigned to what using the monitor screen, which is essential if using the orange Rx products who's channel assignment is a lot different to spektrums. Cheers.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:19 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Hi All,

I'm a big fan of the ET Guardian and have (or had!) two of them, one in my 1400mm Cessna 182 and one in my PZ Icon A5 which is used purely on water.

With the exception of the Guardian, all the electronics and connections in the Icon are treated with CorrosionX. I had been meaning to treat the Guardian as well, but as the cockpit never leaked and I had no intention of crashing it (!) I had never got round to it.... I was out yesterday lunchtime and had a perfect flight off the loch in perfect conditions. I changed batteries and set up for flight #2, did my usual control checks and put her in the water ready for takeoff, with the Guardian mode switch set to off. The takeoff roll was normal and she lifted off herself, although I very quickly discovered I had no elevator authority. Thinking I had the mode switch in the wrong position I switched into 2D mode which caused full upward deflection of the elevator and full right of the rudder - not sure what the ailerons did, but needless to say she did a very quick roll and loop head first into the water at WOT!

The damage was quite extensive - broken fuse, left wing written off, canopy written off, three broken clevis / control horns (likely from the massive deflections of the servos) plus some other minor damage. The receiver (a Futaba 7ch) had become dislodged and was wet from water entering the cockpit, but the Guardian was on a shelf out the way and remained dry. Thankfully the receiver, ESC and all the servos are fine, but the Guardian seems to have died (possibly causing the crash) and now flashes four time slow followed by six times fast. The manual indicates the unit is damaged, and when I connect it up it causes full deflection of the servos when switched to 2D mode, exactly what happened in the crash.

Strange that the first flight had no issues, and apart from changing the battery none of the wiring was touched. The Guardian has certainly never been wet, but I wonder if operating it in an inherantly damp environment has caused it to fail? It's flown about 8 hours in total off water. I've now treated it with CorrosionX to see if it displaces any moisture (that's the guarantee gone most likely!) and ordered up another which I'll treat before flying, just love the Guardian!

Cheers,

Rory
Pogs2004 is offline Find More Posts by Pogs2004
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, MI, Clarkston
Joined Apr 2007
78 Posts
Hey guys, I need a little help.

The 2D/3D unit works fine, but my problem is that I can't seem to get it set to level while on the bench. What I am doing is putting a bubble level on the stabilizer and raising the rear of the plane until the bubble level indicates that the stab is level. Then I reset the 2D/3D unit for level.

When I am flying the plane with the 2D/3D off and the plane is flying level, I then engage the 2D/3D and the plane wants to pitch down The rudder and ailerons appear to be holding their position.

So, how is best way to ensure the plane is level on the bench to be able to set the 2D/3D to read this position?

Also, I notice that when the 2D/3D unit is engaged (2D position), the controls seem to be more sluggish. When not engaged, I move the controls a little bit and plane responds right away. When engaged, I need to move the controls much further and almost to full position before the plane responds. On the ground, I can see that moving the controls the planes control surfaces appear to go to full deflection just as when the 2D/3D unit is disengaged. Appears similar to like having a lot of expo turned on.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Gritty
gritty is offline Find More Posts by gritty
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritty View Post
Hey guys, I need a little help.

The 2D/3D unit works fine, but my problem is that I can't seem to get it set to level while on the bench. What I am doing is putting a bubble level on the stabilizer and raising the rear of the plane until the bubble level indicates that the stab is level. Then I reset the 2D/3D unit for level.

When I am flying the plane with the 2D/3D off and the plane is flying level, I then engage the 2D/3D and the plane wants to pitch down The rudder and ailerons appear to be holding their position.

So, how is best way to ensure the plane is level on the bench to be able to set the 2D/3D to read this position?

Also, I notice that when the 2D/3D unit is engaged (2D position), the controls seem to be more sluggish. When not engaged, I move the controls a little bit and plane responds right away. When engaged, I need to move the controls much further and almost to full position before the plane responds. On the ground, I can see that moving the controls the planes control surfaces appear to go to full deflection just as when the 2D/3D unit is disengaged. Appears similar to like having a lot of expo turned on.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Gritty
Gritty,

Set the plane for level flight does NOT necessarily mean level on horizontal stab using a spirit level. Each plane has its own angle of attack for level flight. Therefore, put the bubble level away and use a eyeballing method. Plane dives in 2D then raise the nose and reset level flight setting. Test fly and Repeat until level flight is achieved.

Bill
RCG Plus Member