HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
Al,

Thank you. I now understand what eagletree support tried to explain to me.
However I did not change trims at any point. I'm in the installing fase. However, it is possible that I turned the gain on the rudder and did not reset the trims. There also may be a mix working somewhere. Thats why tonight I start from scratch with a new model in the transmitter and a factory reset on the Eagle tree.
If I'm out of trouble, I'll let you know.

Thanks

regards, Eric Schumacher
schummie is offline Find More Posts by schummie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:00 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schummie View Post
Al,

Thank you. I now understand what eagletree support tried to explain to me.
However I did not change trims at any point. I'm in the installing fase. However, it is possible that I turned the gain on the rudder and did not reset the trims. There also may be a mix working somewhere. Thats why tonight I start from scratch with a new model in the transmitter and a factory reset on the Eagle tree.
If I'm out of trouble, I'll let you know.

Thanks

regards, Eric Schumacher
Please remember that resetting the trims only works during the first 15 seconds after the Guardian is powered up.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
163 Posts
Will Guardian work with ESC/motor?

billpa:

I wanted to do a VTO which means the Guardian would have to be hooked up to the 2 Esc/motors in the 3D mode. Is this possible?
In the past, I have tried receiver, different gyros,Esc,motor hookup and always ended up with motor/s sputtering, probably not syncing and causing a crash.
aero1960 is online now Find More Posts by aero1960
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Eric I think there are 2 parts to the instructions:-
1) When adjusting the transmitter trims, the guardian should be off
2) When toggling to transfer this to the Guardian, start with the switch in the OFF position.

Your info didn't show you live in Nederlands, isn't the internet cool.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,579 Posts
Any rumors as to when these will be back in stock? I've had one on order since August 31st.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
2) When toggling to transfer this to the Guardian, start with the switch in the OFF position.

Unless the software has been changed again that would be

Start with Switch in either 2D or 3D , would it not?.

Not being able to tresit trims with a 2 position switch whic is used for either 2D and Off or 3D and Off is one of the points some have complaned about.

Set Level and Reset Trims both require going from nonimal 1.10 to 1.90 based on 1.50 being cetered and yes I know Futuba and some other in fact use 1.520 as cetered.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Eric I think there are 2 parts to the instructions:-
1) When adjusting the transmitter trims, the guardian should be off

Your info didn't show you live in Nederlands, isn't the internet cool.
Yes, it is DavidN.

When toggling I start with the three position switch up, or down. This is in the manual. However it's worth a try. I found out that when toggling once from 3D back and forth, and then after the 15 seconds to 2D, elevator direction is good. When switching back then again to 3D de direction is again reversed.
Further, when performing the reset level flight and trims procedure, my servo's don't twitch. However I only have the rudder and elevator servo connected. The elevator servo slowly moves up, and then back to centre.
Which takes me to the following: could the airlon and aux servos not being connected in this testing fase have anything to do with it?
I also get the impression that I'm not going into 3D mode at all. In both cases when yawing the plane from left too right, the rudder moves counterwise shortly and then returns to the center position.
schummie is offline Find More Posts by schummie
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
I also get the impression that I'm not going into 3D mode at all.
3D mode LED should be solid on.

I guess you can not see the LED then ,that is why I wish it was on a remot lead so that it could be positioned thru the side of the fuse.

To check 3D switch to Off point nose up on a 45n degree angle,flip to 3D control surfaces should stay netural, now lower the nose and elevator should go to up. If you roll fuse to right then you should get aile. correction to the left , left up right down.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:13 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
When it comes to fast heavy funjets I seem to find more examples of pilots using some type of launcher on youtube. The exceptions being the super powerful that can be hand launched vertically. The launchers tend to be bungee types.

For my own FUnjet, I took the route of Jurgen Heilig, and his pursuit of a lightweight and highly manueverable Funjet. Here is a video of him flying his vectored Funjet at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j98OCyrZqE

His builds dot the internet if you do a search for "Lightweight Funjet".

Then there are the examples of vector and gyros by other pilots...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nak9WWjy2Zc

If you go lightweight you should experience the same performance (vector unit though has been out of production since 2009 - but you might score one used). With the Guardian on board it will be light years ahead of any single axis gyro, and hand launching will be no issue. Just something to consider for your next build.
Hi SilverExpress I took your advise, I glued the mount back on, no way was it gonna be able to handle the torque from my MEGA setup, so I pulled everything and installed a low power setup

Here she is in high winds. Had a blast

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>
10 20 12 Light FunJet Ultra (1 min 43 sec)

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:22 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Hi SilverExpress I took your advise, I glued the mount back on, no way was it gonna be able to handle the torque from my MEGA setup, so I pulled everything and installed a low power setup

Here she is in high winds. Had a blast

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/A-TygvJC6Bg

FCA
Smmooooth!
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:28 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Hi folks,

I had a blast today and last Sunday with the Guardian 2d/3d installed on the EPO HK Yak54. I was doing hands-off prop-hanging. The FB's were quite impressed with the Guardian. Once the throttle has been adjusted to hold the plane up, it just hung there, correcting for the wind and torque by itself.

The only problem I faced was with the HK Nanotech batteries. Oh, they worked fine and have good power and retain the voltage well. A little too well, that's the problem. It dropped off pretty fast at the end of the discharge curve and the plane did not have enough power to get back to the landing field. I had a hard landing on the tarmac and just missed going into a monsoon drain. The nose broke off again. This has happened quite a few times already, and I consider it a weak spot in this otherwise good flying plane. With a heavy motor TGY SK3 4250 and a 3300mAH 35-70C 4S in the nose, the small area of foam (minus the canopy) is insufficient to take the load of a hard landing. Btw, I have replaced the stock soft wire landing gear with a set of nice C.F. landing gear.

I don't normally fly 3D as I like warbirds. However, this Guardian has enabled me to prop-hang with the best of them. I am going to get another one for a 26cc Extra 260 I am putting together.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
Can someone tell me the length of the Guardian wire harness? I couldn't find the length in the manual, they look to be 3" but I want to be for sure. I have one on the way should be here this week, I'm presetting up the location in my plane now and need to know the length of the harness.
BadLemon is online now Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Just under 5", plug end to plug end one of mine measure 4 3/4".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
Can someone tell me the length of the Guardian wire harness? I couldn't find the length in the manual, they look to be 3" but I want to be for sure. I have one on the way should be here this week, I'm presetting up the location in my plane now and need to know the length of the harness.
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
3-7/8" wire length and the black connectots are standard servo ends.

There was a request for longer leafds and I believe that ET said they would have some made up but have not heard any more on this. You can extend them using stamdard servo extensions and as 5 of them are single lead (signal only) modifued extensions would not be a weight issue with the + and - leads removed.

Charles
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
Thanks guys That will help me out I shouldn't have to extend the wires I'm putting the guardian in a 60mm Alfa Ta-183 Huckebein jet. I lost my first Ta-183 after a stall while in to steep of a turn. The Ta-183 also had a tendency to loop on take off so I'm hoping the Guardian will prevent this from happening with my new Ta-183. I also have a 90mm Ta-183 kit I want to use the Guardian in as well.
BadLemon is online now Find More Posts by BadLemon