HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Joel

I need addational ones for my 3DHS Extra 300, Zeros Gravity Pitts Python,perhaps my GP Electro Stik , and most likely one for my son for his AJ Slick.

No more wondering if wind is going to be a pucker factor,just one more component to order for each existing and each new aircraft in the fleet.

I now have a much better understand about all of the AX3S buzz but can not help but feel this one is so much more advanced and feacure and options ahead. I have never heard of a Beast 3D UMX maintaing a hands off hover for a minute beside now the selection of aircraft is not limited to one line and bigger flys better.

Charles
.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 22, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:01 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Joel

I need addational ones for my 3DHS Extra 300, Zeros Gravity Pitts Python,perhaps my GP Electro Stik , and most likely one for my son for his AJ Slick.

No more wondering if wind is going to be a pucker factor,just one more component to order for each existing and each new aircraft in the fleet.

I now have a much better understand about all of the AX3S buzz but can not help but feel this one is so much more advanced and feacure and options ahead. I have never heard of a Beast 3D UMX maintaing a hands off hover for a minute beside now the selection of aircraft is not limited to one line and bigger flys better.

Charles
.
Charles,

Ah, now you see what we were all excited about when the Beast 3D came out! The 2D/3D is far more advanced, for sure. I'll probably want one of these in a bunch of my planes! What AS3X does for the UM planes is very impressive, nonetheless. Fixed-wing AS3X is set up as more of a rate-based damping system, rather than heading-hold. It artificially lengthens the moments & dampens the effects of external stimuli - but that's it. Hands-off hovering a Beast 3D for a minute? LOL! Not for even a second! It is much easier to hover than the V1 Beast, but the pilot still has to do the work. It's just that the pilot doesn't have to work as fast! I can hover my non-stabilized 48" PA Extra 260 far easier & for a lot longer period of time than I can hover the Beast 3D.

I am also interested in putting one of these on an aerobatic FPV platform w/OSD - however, I'd like the features of the Guardian expander, as well as the aerobatic mode of the 2D/3D. I want to shoot aerobatics videos from the pilot's perspective - while also flying from the pilot's perspective. But I want to make it look as full-scale as possible.

My PA Extra gets the first one, though! It's my favorite ship in the hangar to fly - unless it's windy or the air is turbulent. The 2D/3D should add a couple month's-worth of days per flying season when I can have fun with the plane. That alone would be worth the price.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Anymore more testing done lately
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
Electric baptism 1975
DavidN's Avatar
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,921 Posts
It occurs tome that it could be a mixed blessing for landing in that warnings may be damped till.....STALL.

Any opinion if it helps with warbird nose overs?
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:08 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
A basic question: what will be the allowed voltage range for the Guardian 2D/3D (and for Eagle Tree products in general)?
I usually deal with 5V BEC's, but I may use lower voltage servos that prefer 4.2 to 4.3V or lower ("1s servos")
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Electric baptism 1975
DavidN's Avatar
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
A basic question: what will be the allowed voltage range for the Guardian 2D/3D (and for Eagle Tree products in general)?
I usually deal with 5V BEC's, but I may use lower voltage servos that prefer 4.2 to 4.3V or lower ("1s servos")
Good question & I just ordered some HV servos to run at 7.0 volts.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
DavidN

My experience with the Cuardian 2D/3D on landings in both 2D and 3D modes is that you turn onto final and you control the decent with elevator and throttle and 2D/3D keeps it straight and level .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Anymore more testing done lately
Just returned from the field and flew my Lil-Banchee 3D in winds that I never wouuld have flown in without the Guardian. No setting it on the bench without holding it as wind would blow it off, even setting on the ground with battery in it its was rocking like mad and only the grass prevented it from rolling.

2D mode take off into a 45 degree cross wind using throttle and elevator only a piece of cake,switched to 3D went out aprox. 200 feet pulled up into a hover released sticks and about 12 seconds later wind had blown it back to right overhead. I did some knife edges in all different angle to the wind hands off along with hovers at all wind angles landed in 3D mode with throttle and elevator only.

FYI Just for a comparison I flew one of my Mini Gremlins ( combat wings) which I had flown a lot and then used as a Guardian 2D/3D test bed initially. Now wind does not really bother this wing that much normally and while the Guardian was in it it was steady as a rock however today the wind was tossing it around so much that I really wished it had a Guardian in it.

Added some plane specs. to post# 194

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 27, 2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Referenced post 194 plane specs.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Just returned from the field and flew my Lil-Banchee 3D in winds that I never wouuld have flown in without the Guardian. No setting it on the bench without holding it as wind would blow it off, even setting on the ground with battery in it its was rocking like mad and only the grass prevented it from rolling.

2D mode take off into a 45 degree cross wind using throttle and elevator only a piece of cake,switched to 3D went out aprox. 200 feet pulled up into a hover released sticks and about 12 seconds later wind had blown it back to right overhead. I did some knife edges in all different angle to the wind hands off along with hovers at all wind angles landed in 3D mode with throttle and elevator only.

FYI Just for a comparison I flew one of my Mini Gremlins ( combat wings) which I had flown a lot and then used as a Guardian 2D/3D test bed initially. Now wind does not really bother this wing that much normally and while the Guardian was in it it was steady as a rock however today the wind was tossing it around so much that I really wished it had a Guardian in it.

Charles
Charles,

Your tests are invaluable. I love this stabilizer already
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
epoweredrc's Avatar
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
. I can not wait to see it in person.
I think this device will make it so people can learn KE 4 point rolls and other maneuvers that maybe they would never have been able to learn before
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
Registered User
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
. I can not wait to see it in person.
I think this device will make it so people can learn KE 4 point rolls and other maneuvers that maybe they would never have been able to learn before
Agree - Also even patterns and loops are easier since the guardian maintains heading so you can enter and come out one the correct line. I am a hack at 3d and pattern and the guardian gave me accuracy I didn't have (I shouldn't admit that ) !

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Glad the Beta testers are experiencing positive results
Late spring is so far away

I've acquired an eflight carbon z & Scimitar
Needless to say units will be going in both planes, along with 3 others

I've been tempted to use my FY20, but quickly recall it has a tendency to go nuts.

FCA

Let's hope et has enough in stock for the initial release

Can someone tell me what other parameters can be accessed/adjusted using the USB cable
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Three more flights on Lil-Banchee this morning and these were the first with no surface winds and light breeze at 125 to 150 feet aloft.

3D Mode and a vertical release hand off transmitter , perfect launch,another one and I had it every so slightly leaned to the left so it climbed in a very slight as in extreme high alpha knife edge. High alpha knife edge passes right to left then left to right parallel to runway using rudder and throttle only.

Series of very nice flat spins both clock wise and counter clock wise using rudder and throttle only.

Now with a total of 15 Guardian 2D/3D flights on one of my Mini Gremlins and 11 flight with it in my Lil-Banchee I will no longer be impressed with videos of many 3D or pattern flying unless they have a no flight statilization used disclaimer. Guardian make it so very easy to look so much better than you really are.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Can someone tell me what other parameters can be accessed/adjusted using the USB cable
To the best of my knowledge the USB / software makes programing easier and adds the ability to save setups so that if unit is moved to another aircraft you can save and reload instead of having to reprogram and tweak it. A possible helpful hint would be to purchase a short USB to mini B cable so that it could be left connected and ran to battery area so that a USB to USB extension could be used to extent it to a Laptop. This would alow the guardian to be mounted buried (hard to access) and still be easy to program/tweak with software.

There are like 11 Menu items at present ,some with two options and some with three options which at present have to be entered and selected by using transmitter sticks, much like many of the ESCs the main difference is Guardian moves the servos X number of times instead of the motor beeps with ESCs. I do not know about most others but I truely dislike stick programing. It is better than nothing but not by much,IMO.Give me a computer interface with GUI so that I can see very plainly what I am changing, I hate second guessing.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
i want to replace my fma copilot 2 with this .
but i did not find any supporting review of this thing on youtubr and how its installed.
if they really update the firmware which can control quads(as mentioned on its website)...it will be a bang for the buck !
aditya gupta is offline Find More Posts by aditya gupta
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
It is aprox. same size as a Spektrum 6Ch receiver and weights 11 grams. It is mounted with double side foam same as a Gyro in a heli and ideally should be on the CG however as I posted earlier about using in my Mini Gremlin it was far behind the CG and still worked great.

The ail. servo input is a standard 3 wire one all the others are single wire but with standard servo connectors. Guardian connects to receiver and servos connect to guardian. Extremely simple and Guardian is powered by the recieves power souce thru the ail. leads.

When airfraft is powered up the Guardian moves the control surfaces and then returns them to netural to indicate that it has been activated.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can I control Guardian stabilizer with DX6i? njwxyz Eagle Tree Systems 9 Jun 02, 2014 01:17 PM
Discussion GPS 2D Plots incomplete, 3D OK jackerbes Eagle Tree Systems 1 Oct 23, 2011 10:42 PM
Discussion Premier 1st generation, Gen 2 Vector unit, 2D or 3D motor unit lanternfly RC Kites 0 Oct 05, 2011 10:42 PM
Data 2d or 3d wing ribs? Marty7n Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 56 Sep 22, 2011 05:06 PM
Discussion 3View to 3D to 2d techasist CAD/CAM 0 Mar 27, 2011 01:19 AM