SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Not only bring a laptop, you also have to get the unit out to hook up the USB cable. Depending on where it is mounted, not fun.
If I have it right when doing this, the Guardian has to sit dead level with the flight attitude. If not the control surfaces will move between Guardian On and Guardian Off.
So practically speaking, this stabilizer locks up two receiver channels one channel/switch dedicated to MODE and one channel/pot dedicated to GAIN.
Thanks for the clarifications. Prof were you the SkySurfer guru?
Last first, yes, I posted a lot on the Skysurfer thread and still follow the thread but everyone knows how to mod them now. All the necessay mods are common knowledge and I let others pass on the info.

With the Guardian you should consider ditching the remote gain slider or pot. It's nice but not necessary. Which radio do you have? You can use any switch for 2D and 3D and assign another as an on-off switch. You just have to be creative with programming.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Last first, yes, I posted a lot on the Skysurfer thread and still follow the thread but everyone knows how to mod them now. All the necessay mods are common knowledge and I let others pass on the info.

With the Guardian you should consider ditching the remote gain slider or pot. It's nice but not necessary. Which radio do you have? You can use any switch for 2D and 3D and assign another as an on-off switch. You just have to be creative with programming.
I use Flysky 9Ch with Er9x firmware, so I can program any switch/mix I can think of.
The issue came up because I had only a 6Ch spare receiver.
I will order some 8Ch Rx's, they are only $13.00 or so.
I build four Skysurfers and I learned a lot from that thread and from you. Destroyed two and am still flying the other two, both with flaps and an FY-20A stabilizer.They are great models.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
I use Flysky 9Ch with Er9x firmware, so I can program any switch/mix I can think of.
The issue came up because I had only a 6Ch spare receiver.
I will order some 8Ch Rx's, they are only $13.00 or so.
I build four Skysurfers and I learned a lot from that thread and from you. Destroyed two and am still flying the other two, both with flaps and an FY-20A stabilizer.They are great models.
I will PM you, we are getting off topic here.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:57 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,920 Posts
I was trying to adjust the pots in the depths of a small plane. It made me wish for better visibility of the mid position on the case marking( ?RED? line), and the same for the mark on the pot screw(perhaps BLACK line). The plastic film case was pressed askew by wiring so the dots were hard to see.
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:07 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
I center the Pots and then take a tooth pick ,transfere a bit of red paint to its' tip and mark the Pot slot that is lined up with the 12 O clock (center) position.

I agree that they are difficult enought even when they are out in the open and when buried in a Fuse. they would be a real pain. Guess one needs to give a lot of thought to where they get mounted.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Had one of my Guardian's die on me today, didnt even get up in the air. Walking down to the strip and could smell burning popped the canopy off and both rudder servo and guardian were smoking, not a clue whats happened
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Had one of my Guardian's die on me today, didnt even get up in the air. Walking down to the strip and could smell burning popped the canopy off and both rudder servo and guardian were smoking, not a clue whats happened
That's a new failure mode we have never heard before. Did you shorten the wires at all?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:06 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Probably too late to tell - did you set the Guardian to correctly operate your servo?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:07 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
I'm starting to get pretty comftorable flying my plane, but i notice in the wind the guardian gives me an aileron wobble when the wind hits us. it's just a little 48" telink foamie. is this normal looking or should i be tuning for better? these were half way up on the gain dial,,,,, when i'd move it up higher it seemed worse. The gyro is burried in the fuse, but i think last i touched em was half way on all of the dials.....

sorrento proximity (8 min 48 sec)

sorrento pad & gap (3 min 46 sec)
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:10 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Had you checked / verified that non of the servos could reach stalled state while Guardian was one in either 2D or 3D mode?

Was Guardian in 2D or 3D mode while aircarft was being carried ?

My SOP with any gyro is to either have it turned off while carrying (Guardian) or switched to Rate Mode ,Heli tail or FBL systems.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Had you checked / verified that non of the servos could reach stalled state while Guardian was one in either 2D or 3D mode?

Was Guardian in 2D or 3D mode while aircarft was being carried ?

My SOP with any gyro is to either have it turned off while carrying (Guardian) or switched to Rate Mode ,Heli tail or FBL systems.

Charles
Charles,

Right on. Carrying a plane with 2D or 3d on can be a problem if the orientation is different than the last time sticks were centered. It could stall a servos if the throws are excessive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:09 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
I had 2 very nice and stable flights with my Guardian 2/3D this past Sunday. 2D mode works great for recovery and landing. 3D mode with HH works, but I think Imay have to reduce the window a bit as it seems to be fighting my sticks. I will also have to reset trims for the next week end.

The last landing of the day, I tested landing without any power to the motor for the HK Yak. The plane was stable all the way until it stalled due to excessively slow speed. The stall was straight ahead - the wings were level but it was a hard landing. Anyway, the nose ahead of the wing broke off (not for the 1st time). I have had to repair similar breaks a number of times. I think I will add a few flat strips of CF to bridge the weak point.

Anyway, very nice gadget.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,920 Posts
mode & gain on 5 channels

Flew my old Park Zone Spitfire, the older one with the white foam & peeling covering; but a brushless conversion. After adjusting down the throws it flies nicely. I got thinking that although it only has a 5 channel Rx I am not using the rudder channel, so perhaps I could have both MODE & GAIN if I move it to my DX8. Any one done this
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
Guardian Stabilizer
Joined Feb 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Yikes. This is a new one. It sounds like either a wire / connector shorted or your servo has shorted internally. Can you confirm that there aren't any shorted wires in your setup? If you aren't able to find any obvious causes, could you open a ticket here and reference this post?

http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com

Thanks!
John
John.T is offline Find More Posts by John.T
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
I have not had chance to investigate any further yet. I checked all wires at the site, no damage to be seen, it was on 3D direct rate mode with servo speed set to 150ms ive used a lot of these servo's with no problems (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_11_5g.html)
Its just a worry that if you do have a servo fail that it will take the Guardian with it!!!!! Ive got 4 of them so far in different planes. I didnt have another servo the same size with me so need to get one tomorrow and have another look at it all
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504