SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:39 AM
R Rutledge
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
DX8 Help

Choochoo22, jj604,and Charles

Thanks for the info on programming my DX8 radio. I have read post to RC Groups for years but never joined in on the discussions. On my first post I received info from California, Georgia, and Australia. Isn't the internet great.

RRutledge
RRutledge is offline Find More Posts by RRutledge
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
534 Posts
ZII low and high (2 min 54 sec)
carlocivicsi is online now Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRutledge View Post
Choochoo22, jj604,and Charles

Thanks for the info on programming my DX8 radio. I have read post to RC Groups for years but never joined in on the discussions. On my first post I received info from California, Georgia, and Australia. Isn't the internet great.

RRutledge
It certainly is, having been in RC since 1963 when only a few books,model magazines, local hobby shops and a handful of others RCers were the only sorce of help really makes me appreciate the WWW and great RC sites such as RG Groups,HeliFreak,WattsFlyer and others. During the past 7 days I have reads likely to 1,000 post on FBL (Fly Bar Less) controls for helis and have mangaged to set one up from scratch ( Blade 400 was FB) and tweak a 450 which was allready setup FBL. Without the net I would still be stumbling around in the dark hunting for the light switch.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It certainly is, having been in RC since 1963 when only a few books,model magazines, local hobby shops and a handful of others RCers were the only sorce of help really makes me appreciate the WWW and great RC sites such as RG Groups,HeliFreak,WattsFlyer and others. During the past 7 days I have reads likely to 1,000 post on FBL (Fly Bar Less) controls for helis and have mangaged to set one up from scratch ( Blade 400 was FB) and tweak a 450 which was allready setup FBL. Without the net I would still be stumbling around in the dark hunting for the light switch.

Charles
+1 Charles
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
ldsanders2807,
Quote:
However, when you change the gain, it also changes the trim on the elevons. This is in 2D or 3D mode. Is that an expected result?
This is the behavior that you will see if you change your trims on your transmitter without resetting the trims on the Guardian. Basically, the Guardian is amplifying the stick offset you are inputting relative to the last known trim values. Note that even with perfect trims, if the model is in 2D Mode and is rotated to any orientation except for perfectly level, this behavior will manifest as well. Does this fit what you are seeing?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
ldsanders2807, This is the behavior that you will see if you change your trims on your transmitter without resetting the trims on the Guardian. Basically, the Guardian is amplifying the stick offset you are inputting relative to the last known trim values. Note that even with perfect trims, if the model is in 2D Mode and is rotated to any orientation except for perfectly level, this behavior will manifest as well. Does this fit what you are seeing?

Great, now you need to put that in the manual for the Guardian. This is important to know since there is a definite consequence to NOT resetting your trims in the Guardian when you make radio trim changes. Please let us know when you revise the intructions in the manual and it can be downloaded. If you come back and say it's in the manual already then consider re-writing that section to make it clear because now it is NOT!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:31 PM
yakum smakum
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Need some help or advice. I am interested in finding out what some of you guys are doing out there to use the aux 1 and aux 2 connections on you OSD when you actually need a third when you have a guardian. In other words, I am ok with using a three position switch to manipulate the on screen menus (aux 1), and I currently have the (aux 2) input set for adjusting the master gain knob on the guardian. I am not sure the best way to set up the system as I would also like to be able to turn on the RTH with a switch as well. I have a 72 Mhz radio that is not PCM, can I still set throttle trim all the way down to engage the RTH that way? Or what are some of you guys doing that have 72 mhz non PCM?

Thanks in advance for all your input,

Steve S. Naples, Fl
stevo6739615 is offline Find More Posts by stevo6739615
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Stevo,

I think you are in the wrong thread. This is the stand alone guardian stabilizer.

This thread would be better suited for your question

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924018

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6739615 View Post
Need some help or advice. I am interested in finding out what some of you guys are doing out there to use the aux 1 and aux 2 connections on you OSD when you actually need a third when you have a guardian. In other words, I am ok with using a three position switch to manipulate the on screen menus (aux 1), and I currently have the (aux 2) input set for adjusting the master gain knob on the guardian. I am not sure the best way to set up the system as I would also like to be able to turn on the RTH with a switch as well. I have a 72 Mhz radio that is not PCM, can I still set throttle trim all the way down to engage the RTH that way? Or what are some of you guys doing that have 72 mhz non PCM?

Thanks in advance for all your input,

Steve S. Naples, Fl
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
yakum smakum
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Thanks for the help, I will post there.

Steve
stevo6739615 is offline Find More Posts by stevo6739615
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Hi guys

after my deuces wild crashed and made a nice jig saw puzzle, I left it in the shop corner for a year. I just now rerbuilt it and modified the Deuces Wild wings to 16 in. longer with drooped tips [see pic.] and put a fy30A Flight stabilizer into it,
It fly's very smooth and it is no longer wild.

http://shop.fyetech.com/product_info...products_id=44

However my question: Is the eagle tree guardian as good as the fy30A for fixed wing planes?

If any of you can comment I would appreciate It.

I see the feature that I could unplug the unit and put it in another plane if I buy an extra cable. I like that. And the price is much less than the FY30 That cost me $124.00 + SH.

Bill
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added web sight
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:26 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Wow, really nice Deuces wing modification, looks great - I dig it!
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:42 AM
R Rutledge
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Guardin and Expo

Good morning:
It's 6am in Georgia and I can't sleep, so I am up asking questions about the guardin again. I am waiting on my guardin to arrive from Tower Hobbies mid October I hope and I won't to be ready when it gets here. yesterday you gave me some very good advice on how to program my DX8 radio.so Here's my question, I fly 3D type planes most of the time with 3 rates and expo programed into each surface, I will assum that the gain knob I will be using on Aux 3 will control the rate of surface movement, what about the Expo does it work with the Guardin. I have several planes with a 401 gyro attached to the ail surface, and it over rides the tripple programing in the radio.

Thanks in advance
RRutledge
RRutledge is offline Find More Posts by RRutledge
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:22 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
In my three planes with a Guardian expo remains intact.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
Missouri
Joined May 2010
83 Posts
William M

I had a FY30A. The Guardian 2D/3D is a superior unit.
It is more effective, easier to set up, has a pc interface, weighs less, easier to mount, has auto oscillation suppression, sub modes such as head holding, and US support that speaks English.
Are you able to interface with the Fye Tech support team?

Needless to say I sold my FY 30 A and bought 2 guardian 2D/3D and will buy more.

Gadget
Gadget99 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget99
Last edited by Gadget99; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:54 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
195 Posts
Greetings all

Back on the need for a seperate UBEC....note that the PZ T-28 ESC is only rated for 700mah servo current Based on the data posted earlier on servo currents a single binded servo could exceed this. Something like a Dimension Engineering Park Bec would be much more suitable. Chek out the PZ ESC specs at http://www.e-fliterc.com/products/de...rodid=efla1030 which is also fitted to the Corsair and Radian if I am not mistaken. It would be great if someone with Telemetry could log servo current on a unstabilised flight and compare to a stabilised one doing similar manoeuvres. Has anyone tried doing this yet?

Also similar to the post a couple up from Mr Rutledge, I run dual aileron servos (for subtrim and differential reasons), multiple rates and also differential and rudder mixing in my DX8 radio (all set to specific values I like).

It looks like I use the Model Control Type as standard default, right?

I'm still confused why the Master Gain seems to be mapped backwards as described in the instruction manual...and I have read every post in this thread.
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Last edited by Flyindude; Oct 03, 2012 at 06:19 PM.