HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Rateoneturn thank you very much. Really appreciate your help. How stupid can I be!!!
But easy to mix up micro with mini! Hans
Hansschroeder is offline Find More Posts by Hansschroeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
A BIG THANK YOU to all you guys who tried to help me. I have the WRONG CABLE
I bought the Mini USB-B and not the MICRO USB-B !!! Hans
Hansschroeder is offline Find More Posts by Hansschroeder
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
58 Posts
hans,
even easier is having a micro-b but not looking quite close enough to make sure it's oriented in the proper direction (up or down) before plugging it in.
no need to ask... it's not one of my prouder moments.

have fun,
rateoneturn
rateoneturn is offline Find More Posts by rateoneturn
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansschroeder View Post
I am an old RC'er. Just got the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D installed in my Extra 300 EXP. The system moves the control surfaces o.k., but I want to fine tune on my computer. Bought a Radio Shack cable USB-A to Mini USB-B usable for mobile phones and cameras. Downloaded the Data Recorder. When I click the DR icon it asks to connect the USB cable. I did that very carefully at the Guardian end, but no connection was made and no 3 blinks at the Guardian LED. Does anyone had a similar experience? Is the USB plug at the Guardian defective? Appreciate greatly any comments. Hans
In the picture link below, Mini-B cable is on the left and the Micro-B cable is on the right. Given that they are totally different in size..is it correct to assume that you were never able to connect the USB cable on the Guardian side?

Was just a bit confused by your statement... "When I click the DR icon it asks to connect the USB cable. I did that very carefully at the Guardian end, but no connection was made and no 3 blinks at the Guardian LED..."

It almost seems from your statement, that you were able to connect to the Guardian with the cable you had.

Sorry if I have it wrong.

-mike-

http://blackberryrocks.com/wp-conten...-connector.jpg
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:53 AM
Urbandale, IA
Joined Mar 2009
20 Posts
Has anyone set up the Guardian to use with elevons? The Guardian moves the elevons as expected. I have the gain control connected to the VR2 knob on my Eclipse 7 transmitter. And, it does control the sensitivity as expected from no control to very responsive. However, when you change the gain, it also changes the trim on the elevons. This is in 2D or 3D mode. Is that an expected result?
ldsanders2807 is offline Find More Posts by ldsanders2807
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:51 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsanders2807 View Post
Has anyone set up the Guardian to use with elevons? The Guardian moves the elevons as expected. I have the gain control connected to the VR2 knob on my Eclipse 7 transmitter. And, it does control the sensitivity as expected from no control to very responsive. However, when you change the gain, it also changes the trim on the elevons. This is in 2D or 3D mode. Is that an expected result?
How do you know the trim is changing?

I have a Guardian on two elevon planes. It works great. I have seen no such behavior where changing gain using the gain pot changes trim. However, I do not use a Master Gain Control.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:48 PM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
2D mode is more complicated and I have not played with it as much. I want to confirm a couple of things.

I think you are you saying you have define safe servo limits?
Not sure what you mean.I f I understand correctly, servo limits set in the tx won't prevent the guardian from running to the stops, so there is no way to limit the travel in the tx- only in the pulse width limits.

When your accident occurred, are you saying the Guardian made an unexpected course change that put you in a tree? The reason I ask is I remember learning to fly and even if the Guardian had been available I know I could have hit a tree without knowing why.
What got me was the radical difference in elevator travel I wrote about above. Not a good thing to cope with on final, over a line of trees.That said, --yes, I certainly have been known to prang it for many stupid reasons, but the elevator travel ought to be the same- not change wildly when the mode switch is flipped.[/
B]
Spent a couple hours today on the problem-- no luck yet. Thanks for the efforts.
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Last edited by wazoo22; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:04 PM
Urbandale, IA
Joined Mar 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
How do you know the trim is changing?

I have a Guardian on two elevon planes. It works great. I have seen no such behavior where changing gain using the gain pot changes trim. However, I do not use a Master Gain Control.
Trim probably was not the correct term to use. When I adjust the master gain control, the left elevon moves up or down depending on the knob direction. The right elevon does not.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
ldsanders2807

You do have Elevon mixing turned off in the transmitter and turned on (enabled) in the Guardian ,correct?

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Spent a couple hours today on the problem-- no luck yet. Thanks for the efforts.
Setting the servo limits in teh EagleTree PC software prevents servo damage, it does not limit the range of pulsewidths that it receives from your Tx.

For the elevator movement, greater movement in 2D is not necesarily an issue, but try 3D with the heading hold off and with direct rate mode off. That should look very similar to off mode. If it does not look similar then you may have a problem.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
Urbandale, IA
Joined Mar 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
ldsanders2807

You do have Elevon mixing turned off in the transmitter and turned on (enabled) in the Guardian ,correct?

Charles
Yes, Elevon mixing off in transmitter and on in the Guardian. The transmitter is controlling the elevons thru the Guardian correctly.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:21 PM
R Rutledge
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Guardin used with DX8

I would like to know if any one can tell me how to program my spektrum DX8 radio using a AR8000 DSMX Rec. for the Guardin 2D/3D I am using it on a plane with four servos duel ail with rudder and elevator i'am sure it is in the thread somewhere but I can't find it.
Thanks
RRutledge
RRutledge is offline Find More Posts by RRutledge
Last edited by RRutledge; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRutledge View Post
I would like to know if any one can tell me how to program my spektrum DX8 radio using a AR8000 DSMX Rec. for the Guardin 2D/3D I am using it on a plane with four servos duel ail with rudder and elevator i'am sure it is in the thread somewhere but I can't find it.
Thanks
RRutledge
Just plug your second Ail channel into the Guardian aux channel. Complete the setup per the manual.

Options include:
  • Plug the G mod into your flap channel for 2D-Off-3D
  • Plug the G gain channel into your aux2(?), the channel with the knob for airborne gain control
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,127 Posts
Alternatively plug Gyro mode into Aux2 and the Gyro gain into Aux3 (the Knob) That way both controls are together on the top right hand side of the Tx.

A nice addition is to set up a mix that forces 2D mode and assign it to the Gear switch (1). See post 1650.

That way you have a panic switch in the very top right hand corner where it is impossible to miss and easy to engage.

You can still use the Mix or Flap or Flight Mode switches for gear if you need to.

This configuration groups all the gyro controls in the one place on a DX8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Just plug your second Ail channel into the Guardian aux channel. Complete the setup per the manual.

Options include:
  • Plug the G mod into your flap channel for 2D-Off-3D
  • Plug the G gain channel into your aux2(?), the channel with the knob for airborne gain control
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Oct 01, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Links to some Transmitter programing suggestions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1651

Perhaps he will respond or you could PM him.

I posted lnks here to some Trans. programming and offered to add addational proven to work ones but no one has responded as yet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1651

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM.