HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Prof100, thats almost an understatement. I must have dialled it in correctly because i have never experienced a flight like this, even though i have seen many sailplanes hanging in the air for some time this was just floating almost standing still in one spot. It was also quite nice to fly the plane in 3d mode, i didnt feel any struggling with the gyros or any overcorrecting, so once again i am very satisfied with this E/T product.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
Prof100, thats almost an understatement. I must have dialled it in correctly because i have never experienced a flight like this, even though i have seen many sailplanes hanging in the air for some time this was just floating almost standing still in one spot. It was also quite nice to fly the plane in 3d mode, i didnt feel any struggling with the gyros or any overcorrecting, so once again i am very satisfied with this E/T product.
That is why I have bought six of them. Be wary when flying a plane without a Guardian. You will have to revert back to being more engaged with flying the plane.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Prof100, i hear you, maybe i just have to buy a couple more of these then
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
Prof100, i hear you, maybe i just have to buy a couple more of these then
That is what I did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
What are people using 3d heading hold for?

Once you get over the cool part, what is this mode for? I bought my Guardian to use as a 3D training tool and Heading hold mode does not really work that way, it does the whole job for me which is impressive but if I touch the ailerons or elevator it stops until I release the sticks again. In direct-rate mode it needs the gains cranked up to max to achieve anything approaching the same control and then I cannot fly fast without massive oscillations. I keep sliding the gain way up and down depending on what I am doing which takes away from the fun.

So two questions:

1. After the intital fun, who here keeps using 3D heading hold and why?

2. How can I use the Guardian to help me rather than take over for me so I can progressively dial it back as I improve?
BJM-Maxx is online now Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:00 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,421 Posts
first time setup question(s)

I'm setting this up for my first flight, in a dual aileron standard plane (a cub). I have rudder and elevator mixed with ailerons. Do I need to turn these off when flying with the Guardian 2D/3D?

Also, I use aileron differential, but ... another confusing issue, is the PC menu checkbox item called "Flaperon input unmixed" which is checked by default, and the feature noted as "Onboard dual aileron mixing enabled", and described as the default when using the aux aileron input on the Guardian 2D/3D.

These look to be the same item, but with conflicting defaults. Are they the same item?

And if these are the same item, then which option listed below do you guys fly with?

Should I fly with the ailerons on a y harness with no aileron mixing of any kind used in the transmitter), and check the box called "Flaperon input unmixed"?

Or should I fly with the ailerons under separate control, use aileron differential and uncheck the box called "Flaperon input unmixed".
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Drone and a Pond
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That is what I did.
I have to admit, most of the planes I am flying these days are difficult hand launches. I have become tired and intolerant of making a stupid launch mistake and piling the plane in 10 ft in front of me. So I am "ashamed" to admit that I am becoming dependent on the guardian for these hand launches !!!.

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
Once you get over the cool part, what is this mode for? I bought my Guardian to use as a 3D training tool and Heading hold mode does not really work that way, it does the whole job for me which is impressive but if I touch the ailerons or elevator it stops until I release the sticks again. In direct-rate mode it needs the gains cranked up to max to achieve anything approaching the same control and then I cannot fly fast without massive oscillations. I keep sliding the gain way up and down depending on what I am doing which takes away from the fun.

So two questions:

1. After the intital fun, who here keeps using 3D heading hold and why?

2. How can I use the Guardian to help me rather than take over for me so I can progressively dial it back as I improve?

I have kept my parkmaster 3d in 3d heading mode because I suck at 3D flying and this makes it so I can actually fly pretty well. But I agree, the next step is lower gains further and or go to rate mode alone.

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
I have to admit, most of the planes I am flying these days are difficult hand launches. I have become tired and intolerant of making a stupid launch mistake and piling the plane in 10 ft in front of me. So I am "ashamed" to admit that I am becoming dependent on the guardian for these hand launches :eek: !!!.

Al

I know the feeling. Before G 2D/3D I would break a prop about every fourth launch withg my Mini Gremlin . Insatlled Guard......... and numeriuos flights qnd no brokren props. Put Guardiam in other aiorcraft and broke3 several more props on Mini Gremlin.

Now that I have addational Guardians I am going to put one back in the Mini one day. I have been on a Heli kick for the past 5 months or so. Very difficult for me to go from fixed wing to notary so p-lanks have been hanger queens.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,853 Posts
Having a Guardian on board makes hand launches a non-event. It also makes cross wind landings a non-event. The old schools guys still call using a Guardian "cheating" but then I watch them biff a landing or takeoff in a 45 lb.giant scale warbird where they break a a $30 prop or tear off the landing gear. If they only had Guardian they could have prevented those occurences.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 25, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Well years ago I used to say that using dual rates,expo. rudder to aileron. mix for knife edge etc. was lame and for sissies , now at 67 with slower reflexes,not nearly as great of cordination or eye site as in years past I will cheat by any means that I can afford.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,623 Posts
Charles, I just finished an article on gyros and stabilizers for our club newsletter.

Here's what I said in the concluding paragraph.

John

Pros and Cons
Gyros and stabilizers generate a great deal of argument. The “gyros are for girlies” crowd despise them as crutches for incompetent pilots; the FPV crowd wouldn’t fly without them.

I think the truth is more complex. It is reasonable to say that a gyro or stabilizer of itself will not improve your piloting; it certainly can however improve your flying. Dependence on them may prevent you improving your skills or on the other hand allow you to do things you otherwise could not. It’s a choice.

Many people who are not expert pilots have found they can safely fly in much stronger wind than otherwise. That adds up to more air time. 3D fliers use them to practice particular parts of a maneuver while letting the stabilizer manage the rest. They can add a significant safety margin to training. Some tricky scale models might be made flyable rather than crashing, particularly on first flights.

I’m betting that we will shortly see all the mainstream manufacturers introducing receivers that have stabilization built in. It may be that in a few years we will take it for granted as a standard functionality just like dual rates, computerized mixes and expo.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Well years ago I used to say that using dual rates,expo. rudder to aileron. mix for knife edge etc. was lame and for sissies , now at 67 with slower reflexes,not nearly as great of cordination or eye site as in years past I will cheat by any means that I can afford.

Charles
That's the spirit. At my club the older guys won't fly anymore due to many of the above reasons, I keep asking them if they want to try stabilization so they can get airborne again, they refuse.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:58 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
I'm setting this up for my first flight, in a dual aileron standard plane (a cub). I have rudder and elevator mixed with ailerons. Do I need to turn these off when flying with the Guardian 2D/3D?

Also, I use aileron differential, but ... another confusing issue, is the PC menu checkbox item called "Flaperon input unmixed" which is checked by default, and the feature noted as "Onboard dual aileron mixing enabled", and described as the default when using the aux aileron input on the Guardian 2D/3D.

These look to be the same item, but with conflicting defaults. Are they the same item?

And if these are the same item, then which option listed below do you guys fly with?

Should I fly with the ailerons on a y harness with no aileron mixing of any kind used in the transmitter), and check the box called "Flaperon input unmixed"?

Or should I fly with the ailerons under separate control, use aileron differential and uncheck the box called "Flaperon input unmixed".
Status change - I've unchecked "Flaperon Inputs Unmixed", since only one aileron works if that box is checked. Now I'm dealing with differences in stick travel, between stablization on and off. The sticks travel only about half as far, to get full deflection of the control surfaces, when either 2D or 3D stabilization is on. Wondering why that is - all else is functioning normally, in 2D and 3D modes, at least on the test bench.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Drone and a Pond
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
Status change - I've unchecked "Flaperon Inputs Unmixed", since only one aileron works if that box is checked. Now I'm dealing with differences in stick travel, between stablization on and off. The sticks travel only about half as far, to get full deflection of the control surfaces, when either 2D or 3D stabilization is on. Wondering why that is - all else is functioning normally, in 2D and 3D modes, at least on the test bench.
I assume you are seeing an increase in travel when you turn stabilization on? This will be the oddly huge limits the Guardian uses. It ignores your radios limits. You need to set up custom limits using your PC. It works in real time so you can change a value, and check right away. I set mine to the nearest 100 microsecond value that matched my normal radio limits. The defaults max out many servos and can cause damage.
BJM-Maxx is online now Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx