HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Two more Guardians arrived from Hobbyking

I picked up two more Guardians from Hobbyking for $50 each when HK first listed them (now $64). The packaging, contents and Guardian look identical to my other four. Even the barcode on the front of the package scans as an Eagletree Guardian.

Too bad they didn't keep the same low price.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj10 View Post
You absolutly correct. But seeing as they are out off stock I can see thier short term business sense of saving stock for new orders to generate cash instead of using new stock to replace defective stock.

Obviously what works well for them in the short term will ruin thier credibility in the long term, but most businesses don't seem to care anymore. If you make allot of cash but go belly up, the bottom line is that you made allot of cash, and in America, thats what counts for good business nowadays. Tragic but true.
Eagle Tree could not have forseen the total initial sales volum on this new product and even if they had ordered 4 times as many in the very beginning they would likely still be waiting on inventory to fill back orders

I have done beta testing on numerious RC devices for many different manufactures / vendors and I have seen initial preorder batch sell out,then the second and even third production batches sell out before they are available. The world economy has slowed way down, many semi conductors are in very short supply, automated assembly line time is way over booked as many plants went under.

One vendor I beta for a good bit has to order part of their smi conducters over six months ahead of time and then still has problems getting as many as they need.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Prof100, sorry about the support issue your friend is having. We have replaced, rather than repaired, the few Guardians that have been returned to us. What is your friend's RMA ticket number?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Anyone know exactly what "derivative gain" is in the 3D menu? Is it used if the 3 axis (rate) gains are overall too high or too low (minimum isn't low enough or high isn't high enough)? Or just a 3D heading hold gain adjustment? Or what?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Prof100, sorry about the support issue your friend is having. We have replaced, rather than repaired, the few Guardians that have been returned to us. What is your friend's RMA ticket number?
I don't know. If I see him tomorrow I will ask.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
skookum servo bus came in.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:20 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Anyone know exactly what "derivative gain" is in the 3D menu? Is it used if the 3 axis (rate) gains are overall too high or too low (minimum isn't low enough or high isn't high enough)? Or just a 3D heading hold gain adjustment? Or what?
Think of it as Braking Power. When a gust tries to roll your airplane, a high derivative gain will abruptly stop it from doing so (Rate Gyro Portion). Too high, and it will bounce back and forth (oscillate) as it overcompensates to stop the rolling. Not to be confused with the gain settings of the pots - these have to do with the sensitivity to a rotating motion.

3D portion will return it to a set point.

And 2D portion will return it to level.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Sep 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Chester UK
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
Guardian saved me 800!
I was flying my Addiction X photographing our local village, flying over local fields from about half a mile away.
I flew far and high to get the best shots. After a few minutes I got disorientated and my Addiction X dropped into a death dive that I've seen too many times before, sometimes my model, sometimes its the other guys model. Frantically stirring around the transmitter sticks trying to recover but not really knowing which way to push them.

I hit my 2D switch and instantly the model recovered into straight and level flight.
It was flying away from me but once I'd realised it wasn't hard to change that.

Mucho thanks to Eagletree - without the Guardian I would have lost everything including camera and photos!

AJ
dodlestonian is offline Find More Posts by dodlestonian
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlestonian View Post
Guardian saved me 800!
I was flying my Addiction X photographing our local village, flying over local fields from about half a mile away.
I flew far and high to get the best shots. After a few minutes I got disorientated and my Addiction X dropped into a death dive that I've seen too many times before, sometimes my model, sometimes its the other guys model. Frantically stirring around the transmitter sticks trying to recover but not really knowing which way to push them.

I hit my 2D switch and instantly the model recovered into straight and level flight.
It was flying away from me but once I'd realised it wasn't hard to change that.

Mucho thanks to Eagletree - without the Guardian I would have lost everything including camera and photos!

AJ
Excellent!

Depending on what was underneath the model, it could have been a great deal more than 800. Have you tried flying it in 2D full time?
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,084 Posts
Hi Guys
I have a question about center stick mode and the Box size?

I flew my maiden flight with the box size set to about 5 and when the stick was inside that i had very little control authority.

To improve the control authority is it a simple case of increasing the master gain?

I am interested in increasing the box size to its limits and have the decreasing effectiveness with stick deflection i just want much more control authority as well.

Any tips?

Cheers

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Feb 2009
7 Posts
Guardian experiencing issues on a nitro plane

Hi,
I have installed a guardian on my nitro plane. I tried to see if it functions well on the ground with the engine on. The 3d mode looks fine, but the 2d mode, when at full throttle, deflects the aileron and elevator.
Have any one of you experienced something similar.
Any tips on mounting the guardian to suppress the vibrations appreciated.
I am currently using foam tape to mount it on the fuselage close to CG.
abhaypawar is offline Find More Posts by abhaypawar
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaypawar View Post
Hi,
I have installed a guardian on my nitro plane. I tried to see if it functions well on the ground with the engine on. The 3d mode looks fine, but the 2d mode, when at full throttle, deflects the aileron and elevator.
Have any one of you experienced something similar.
Any tips on mounting the guardian to suppress the vibrations appreciated.
I am currently using foam tape to mount it on the fuselage close to CG.
I did a lot of work to try remove vibrations with my keychain camera and found the best thing to use was a small block of memory foam, It might just work with the guardian too
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:33 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
I found one out about the guarding ,it doesnt like planes that the wings are helded on by rubber bands ,because just a little movement in the wings and the guarding cant trim right so it always a little off ,but a couple of clicks and you can fly it ok (this is for a fpv plane )but it was driving me crazy at first trying to get it trim right
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
abhaypawar

Have you tried balancing the prop and if you happen to be using a plastic spinner changing to a acorn (safety ) nut.

Vibrations are not good for the receiver, servos or the airframe for that matter. I have always wondered why so few bother to balance props.

Charles
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
wazzer

If I understand your post you want the G- 2D/3D box to work backwards somewhat.
Increasing the Gain makes the G-2D/3D more reactive not less.

I am guessing you are refering to 2D mode however it would be a good idea to be as clear as possible when seeking advise.

Increasing the Transmitter's controls( travel / EPA ) gives it more power to over ride the G 2D/3D.

The best way to get a handle on how this all works is to conduct test on the ground / bench.