SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Feb 2009
7 Posts
Need info on gain settings for first flight

I have set the gains on the guardian to 100% and planning to fly with 50% master gain for the maiden flight, kindly let me know if this is fine.
Else let me know the optimal gain setting on the guardian.
abhaypawar is offline Find More Posts by abhaypawar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Hi all

Am just attempting a hook up of my first Guardian
Apart from having to reverse all the gains so that the controls go the right way, it seem,s to work OK, but the LED is blinking continuously i.e. no pauses at all, & a continuously blinking LED is not listed anywhere in the manual.

Does anyone know what this may mean?

Kev
Could it be one repeated blink as in 2D Mode?

Perhaps :
Addational LED Messages where there are many repeated series of blinks listed for different errors.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzer View Post
Hi Guys
I have just tried to connect my Guardian to my PC but the ET software doesn't seem to recognize the unit.

I have uninstalled previous versions of the ET software and loaded the Beta Version 10.43

I start the program and it asks me to go through the Recorder Configuration Wizard

At this stage i have already connected the guardian and the computer has been though its auto detection routine and all is fine there.

The Guadian is also showing the 3 flash code for being connected to USB.
I have tried from USB power only and i have tried with the main flight pack also connected to the system and there is no difference.

The ET software doesn't recognize the Guardian and the Next button stays grayed out and i cant move forward.

What am I doing wrong Gents?

Any pointers will be gratefully received

Cheers

Ben
Have you set the Comm Port to match yet?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Could it be one repeated blink as in 2D Mode?

Perhaps :
Addational LED Messages where there are many repeated series of blinks listed for different errors.

Charles
Thanks Charles
According to the manual 2D mode is 4 flashes & errors are 4 flashes followed by a series of other flashes depending on the fault.
With mine it is flashing non stop.
Anyhow, in the meantime it has stopped flashing altogether. It lights for 1 sec at power up then goes off

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
Have you set the Comm Port to match yet?

chewy
Yes all copm ports match

I have since got it to work

I found that if i plugged in my data recorder and set up a new model i could then access the hardware tab and choose Guardian from the drop down menu.

Everything works just fine now.

It seems strange that you would have to do this becasue if i didnt have a Data recorder to plug in then i dont see how i could have accessed the software properly?

Any way all sorted now

Cheers

Maiden tomorrow!

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Charles
According to the manual 2D mode is 4 flashes & errors are 4 flashes followed by a series of other flashes depending on the fault.
With mine it is flashing non stop.
Anyhow, in the meantime it has stopped flashing altogether. It lights for 1 sec at power up then goes off

Kev
My Manual states

Solid On ; 3D Mode
One repeated blink: 2D Mode
Solid Off : Stabilization Disabled

4 repeated blinks: Error condition Pause and then a series of faster blinks 1,5,6 or 7 blinks depending on the error,

Are you saying that your LED does nothing at all now even when the battery is first connected?

Perhaps you should contact Eagle Treand open a support ticket.

Charles
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,091 Posts
one more question guys

Before my maiden tomorrow
(parkzone extra 300)

I have all the individual gain pots on teh unit set to 50 and i have the master gain attached to aux 3 on my DX8 and the knob set to center which i am also guessing is 50.

Do you think this is a good place to start from?

Cheers

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
that's were i started with mine......
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaypawar View Post
Can i connect the AUX to the second elevator servo, this setup is required for my gasoline plane.
Where as the aileron can be managed by using a Y connector.
I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I would suggest using a reversed servo on one elevator. I know some programmable Hitec servos can be reversed with their programmer, and Servo City also has most servos available reversed if I remember right...

Cheers,

Blake
DBA-FW is offline Find More Posts by DBA-FW
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
that was the only way i could get mine working as well, reversed it using hitec programmer on hitec digital servos. in digital servos you can move the pot wires and motor wires to opposite connectors, but get ready to kill a servo figuring it out. several guides online about it.

SC gets $10 to reverse the servo, programers are $20 i think
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:50 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
My Manual states

Solid On ; 3D Mode
One repeated blink: 2D Mode
Solid Off : Stabilization Disabled

4 repeated blinks: Error condition Pause and then a series of faster blinks 1,5,6 or 7 blinks depending on the error,

Are you saying that your LED does nothing at all now even when the battery is first connected?

Perhaps you should contact Eagle Treand open a support ticket.

Charles
Yep, seems I'm reading the blinks correctly.

I have fired up again this morning and she has gone back to non stop blinks as before. Funny though, seems to work the controls OK.

Thanks, I will get onto Eagle

Cheers

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Yep, seems I'm reading the blinks correctly.

I have fired up again this morning and she has gone back to non stop blinks as before. Funny though, seems to work the controls OK.

Thanks, I will get onto Eagle

Cheers

Kev
Sure sounds like 2D mode, which is the default with no mode connection.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Abnomilie , possible firmware glitch

My son has been flying a Guardian 2D /3D from the first production run and has numerious flights on it in his AJ Slick. Wed. he informed me that it was acting very strange all of a sudden so he removed it and dropped it off for me to figure out what ailed it . Turns out that by some mystery means the OnBoard Duel Aileron Mixing Enabled had became changed from on to off.

There is no short cut to this option and he had not entered the Transmitter Programing Mode and had not had it connected to a PC since it was first installed in the Sliick a couple of months or so ago.

Posted just as a heads up in case anyone notices that one aileron servo no long functions as it should.

They are rare events but I have had ESCs and even Transmitters get their programming scrambled a few times in the pastnot related to Guardian 2D/3D however..

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 14, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
My son has been flying a Guardian 2D /3D from the first production run and has numerious flights on it in his AJ Slick. Wed. he informed me that it was acting very strange all of a sudden so he removed it and dropped it off for me to figure out what ailed it . Turns out that by some mystery means the OnBoard Duel Aileron Mixing Enabled had became changed from on to off.

There is no short cut to this option and he had not entered the Transmitter Programing Mode and had not had it connected to a PC since it was first installed in the Sliick a couple of months or so ago.

Posted just as a heads up in case anyone notices that one aileron servo no long functions as it should.

They are rare events but I have had ESCs and even Transmitters get their programming scrambled a few times in the pastnot related to Guardian 2D/3D however..

Charles
I had the same setting get messed up in the field. I was in fact trying to change other settings but in reviewing what I had done, I am certain I had not touched it. Luckily I always waggle the ailerons before taxiing.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
I had the same setting get messed up in the field. I was in fact trying to change other settings but in reviewing what I had done, I am certain I had not touched it. Luckily I always waggle the ailerons before taxiing.
Interesting that two have now reported this happening. Having the the Onboard Duel Aileron Mixing get turned off somehow due to a glitch is not a disaster even if it happend in the air which is I would think extremely unlikely . Most duel aileron planes can be flown well enought to save them even with only one aileron working. Of course if it gets turned off on the ground a Pre-flight check should find the problem before it is a real issue. My biggest fear would be if Elevon mix somehow got turned off during flight.

Charles