HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:34 AM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
sometimes they take a little while with summer and shows and you just had a 3 day weekend. they never dissapointed me yet and have always straightend it out. I've got 3 complete osd pro rigs, 1 of these. they will go above and beyond

When i sit here thinking what would make it act like this a couple things come to mind. are you absolute positive the model is set to a normal wing, not elevon or any weird mode? You started with a fresh model in the radio? is that on the ball aileron/rudder mixing on? is heading hold on? gyro corrects the tail but doesn't show movement with rudder stick right? both modes same? is it on a gain knob? is the endpoint part used in the guardian model setup? i forget, but does that program show stick input on that page? curious if the guardian sees the rudder movement. in your radio you have all mixing dissabled like elevon, ailer whatever? if theres a left and right ail servo, is the radio mixing that or is guardian? Does it have the latest firmware?

not to get in the way of a good rant, just thought i'd throw some ideas out there
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:00 PM
Guardian Stabilizer
Joined Feb 2012
65 Posts
Hi, DanielMadrigal: That is not good. Please open a ticket with our tech support team here and we'll get a replacement cable to you pronto.
John.T is offline Find More Posts by John.T
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:06 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
see
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Rudder Channel used for RTH

The question I have is that I'm using the Guardian 2D/3D in 2D mode for my FPV Skywalker. I'm using the rudder for RTH instead of ailerons. When testing RTH, the plane makes a lazy turn toward home and sometimes goes right past it if the wind is blowing. Does the 2D Heading mode monitor the rudder channel? I'm thinking that the 2D heading mode is interferring with the rudder channel in trying to turn for RTH. I have the heading set to 5.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:23 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
Quote:
I got my fpv maiden unr my belt. it has the guardian module for the osd pro,,,,,,,
You are using a Guardian 2d/3D with osd?

There is a Guardian Expander for use with OSD and a Guardian 2D/3D which is a stand a lone unit .,these are two different devices and each has its' own thread.

Then again perhaps the Guardian 2D/3D will now function with the osd.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 05, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
The question I have is that I'm using the Guardian 2D/3D in 2D mode for my FPV Skywalker. I'm using the rudder for RTH instead of ailerons. When testing RTH, the plane makes a lazy turn toward home and sometimes goes right past it if the wind is blowing. Does the 2D Heading mode monitor the rudder channel? I'm thinking that the 2D heading mode is interferring with the rudder channel in trying to turn for RTH. I have the heading set to 5.
You're probably right. The heading hold is going to try to turn the plane using the ailerons and that could be a stronger input than what the RTH on the rudder can override. I would turn off the heading hold. It's not really needed for what you're doing. Of course like everydayflyer said, the best result would be to get a Guardian Expander for the OSD instead and use the 2D/3D in a non FPV plane.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
You're probably right. The heading hold is going to try to turn the plane using the ailerons and that could be a stronger input than what the RTH on the rudder can override. I would turn off the heading hold. It's not really needed for what you're doing. Of course like everydayflyer said, the best result would be to get a Guardian Expander for the OSD instead and use the 2D/3D in a non FPV plane.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll try and turn off the heading hold. I already tried the Guardian expander and did not like they way I had to use ailerons for RTH. I like to keep the wings as level as possible during RTH. My FY-20A worked very well during RTH using the rudder. I was hoping that I could use heading hold with my Skywalker for those long distance flights of 20 miles out and back.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:55 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
You are using a Guardian 2d/3D with osd?

There is a Guardian Expander for use with OSD and a Guardian 2D/3D which is a stand a lone unit .,these are two different devices and each has its' own thread.

Then again perhaps the Guardian 2D/3D will now function with the osd.
I'm using the expander, i'll post the question there. i have both types so was a general gain question, i think, or parts are wrong, or my rates are too high.......
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Steve. I'll try and turn off the heading hold. I already tried the Guardian expander and did not like they way I had to use ailerons for RTH. I like to keep the wings as level as possible during RTH. My FY-20A worked very well during RTH using the rudder. I was hoping that I could use heading hold with my Skywalker for those long distance flights of 20 miles out and back.
I forget the OSD item names but you could try increasing the OSD gains that controls the rudder for RTH. Maybe even increase the rudder throw when you run the wizard. Since the Guardian will keep the plane level you may be able to put in quite a bit of throw for the rudder. I'm assuming you did not run the rudder thorough the Guardian. I'm also assuming that you have the Guardian set to go to 2D mode if you lose RC contact.

Steve
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:25 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Crist,

Another thought. I'm trying to remember if moving the rudder on the Guardian when in 2D mode causes the heading hold to reset. I believe it does. Does someone else remember?

If so then you might run the rudder through the Guardian AFTER the OSD. Then the rudder commands from the OSD during RTH should cause the Guardian heading hold to reset. This would give you heading hold in both normal flight and RTH.

Steve

P.S. I would try it out but it's 101 degress here in OKC. I don't think I'll fly today.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:19 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Crist,

Another thought. I'm trying to remember if moving the rudder on the Guardian when in 2D mode causes the heading hold to reset. I believe it does. Does someone else remember?

If so then you might run the rudder through the Guardian AFTER the OSD. Then the rudder commands from the OSD during RTH should cause the Guardian heading hold to reset. This would give you heading hold in both normal flight and RTH.

Steve

P.S. I would try it out but it's 101 degress here in OKC. I don't think I'll fly today.
Steve,
I have the Guardian between the OSD and the rudder and elevator servos. For the ailerons, the Guardian is between the receiver and the servo.

It's a bit too windy to test fly today. Perhaps tomorrow is looking a lot better.
Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
I forget the OSD item names but you could try increasing the OSD gains that controls the rudder for RTH. Maybe even increase the rudder throw when you run the wizard. Since the Guardian will keep the plane level you may be able to put in quite a bit of throw for the rudder. I'm assuming you did not run the rudder thorough the Guardian. I'm also assuming that you have the Guardian set to go to 2D mode if you lose RC contact.

Steve
I have the rudder going through the Guardian. Yes, it goes into 2D mode on failsafe.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:44 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
I managed to get a couple of flights in just before dark. I disabled the Heading hold mode in 2D and the Skywalker came very nicely. There was no wind, but I'll have to do some more tweaking.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:56 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
646 Posts
Quote:
I managed to get a couple of flights in just before dark. I disabled the Heading hold mode in 2D and the Skywalker came very nicely. There was no wind, but I'll have to do some more tweaking.
Crist

I presume you have the guardian 2d/3d connected between the osdpro and the servos like we used to do in the days of FMA copilot ? I have been meaning to try this . It is undocumented and unsupported but i see no reason why it would not work ?

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:07 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Crist

I presume you have the guardian 2d/3d connected between the osdpro and the servos like we used to do in the days of FMA copilot ? I have been meaning to try this . It is undocumented and unsupported but i see no reason why it would not work ?

Al
Yes, it is between the OSD and the servos. I'm using rudder for RTH and not ailerons. My FY-20A worked perfectly with this set up so I bought the ET Guardian 2D/3D hoping that it will be a much better unit. I'm an ET fan. Of course I'm only using it in the 2D mode.