SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
Not an avatar... I'm not Hindu
Joined Oct 2007
65 Posts
Anyone using a 4 channel receiver?

I have some small planes (you know, ones that really could use some stabilization) and use 4 channel receivers for their weight savings. It appears that the 2D/3D stabilizer can be used in this configuration, but I won't have the mode/gain channels available. Can anyone offer their experience here? Like how to set initial trim? Any caveats? Thx
Gordonq is offline Find More Posts by Gordonq
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
BJM-Maxx, I have the Guardian on my Buck Huck, and have been testing it out for a couple weeks now.....For me, the HH mode just felt weird, did not want to get accustomed to flying that way since none of my other planes have a Guardian, 3D direct rate mode feels the most natural......I have found that I can now fly in much higher wind, biggest advantage is landing since our club field is set up in such a way that there is frequently a cross wind.....Guardian makes landing a non-event now.
Did you have to raise the speed rate from the default with direct rate mode on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Reset your center & Trims. It's in the manual and on the video in post #1(toggle the Mode switch after power up)
I don't like Heading Hold, I prefer Rate mode. (Heading Hold disabled).
I did toggle reset several times. It resets just fine, but after waving it around in the air if winds up wanting to fly tilted. Now there is a big difference compared to flying, I am waving it around sideways in a way that never happens in the air. I will have to try flying it obviously. I don't use 2D mode on my FY-20A except for fun anyway.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2010
959 Posts
Power distribution buss?

Does anyone have a line on a (CHEAP!) power distribution buss to hook servos up to? Might just make my own, but the Guardian setup is really only good for smaller servo setups. I have a prime stick with 5 high torque servos that would overpower the single (rather small gauge at that) power wire of the guardian.

Eagletree should offer a higher power version!
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
Did you have to raise the speed rate from the default with direct rate mode on?
I have not messed with that, may look into it now that you mentioned it
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Does anyone have a line on a (CHEAP!) power distribution buss to hook servos up to? Might just make my own, but the Guardian setup is really only good for smaller servo setups. I have a prime stick with 5 high torque servos that would overpower the single (rather small gauge at that) power wire of the guardian.

Eagletree should offer a higher power version!
Here's one I saw but was not sure if it was what I wanted
http://www.skookumrobotics.com/shop/...fd0r76q2sb85r0

If you find other ones let me know.

OOh, here's the manual
http://www.skookumrobotics.com/downl...PWR_Manual.pdf

HobbyKing should make some of this guy's stuff:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=24181

Oh, HERE YA GO! (note standard price is a kit you solder up yourself)
http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_power_boards.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Aug 31, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined May 2010
959 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I also saw this from one of your links.

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/shop/...fd0r76q2sb85r0
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:32 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
New, lost cost airplane stabilizer

Here is one that works great and be had for "chicken feed."

Below is an excellent video explanation and demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sXUeO3auRZg
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:46 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
.... after waving it around in the air if winds up wanting to fly tilted. Now there is a big difference compared to flying, I am waving it around sideways in a way that never happens in the air. I will have to try flying it obviously.
I went through exactly the same exercise and with the same puzzled outcome. It was pointed out to me that the Guardian, unlike simpler systems, actually tries to hold the heading in 2D by banking the plane just like a pilot would. This means that after gyrating the plane around, if your heading isn't the same as you started with the Guardian will try to bank you back on course. This is a good thing.

To verify if this is what you are observing, make note of the straight and level heading before you start gyrating. Afterwards, bringing the plane back to this same orientation should bring all surfaces back to neutral, no bank/tilt. In flight this would be a non issue as the plane would just come back on course and stabilize. You can also check this by shutting off the 2D heading hold with the software and it will just level the plane on whatever heading.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
I went through exactly the same exercise and with the same puzzled outcome. It was pointed out to me that the Guardian, unlike simpler systems, actually tries to hold the heading in 2D by banking the plane just like a pilot would. This means that after gyrating the plane around, if your heading isn't the same as you started with the Guardian will try to bank you back on course. This is a good thing.

To verify if this is what you are observing, make note of the straight and level heading before you start gyrating. Afterwards, bringing the plane back to this same orientation should bring all surfaces back to neutral, no bank/tilt. In flight this would be a non issue as the plane would just come back on course and stabilize. You can also check this by shutting off the 2D heading hold with the software and it will just level the plane on whatever heading.
I noticed that if I simply yawed the plane the rudder and the ailerons would move, if I "flew" it the way it wanted it mostly wound up level and for the most part aimed close to where it started. I am pretty sure I also had times where it was wanted to be on a tilt. I am sure it will fly fine, I just need to get it in the air.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
BJM-Maxx, I have the Guardian on my Buck Huck, and have been testing it out for a couple weeks now.....For me, the HH mode just felt weird, did not want to get accustomed to flying that way since none of my other planes have a Guardian, 3D direct rate mode feels the most natural......I have found that I can now fly in much higher wind, biggest advantage is landing since our club field is set up in such a way that there is frequently a cross wind.....Guardian makes landing a non-event now.
Could you tell me what your gains are set to, that would save me some trial and error.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
Not an avatar... I'm not Hindu
Joined Oct 2007
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonq View Post
I have some small planes (you know, ones that really could use some stabilization) and use 4 channel receivers for their weight savings. It appears that the 2D/3D stabilizer can be used in this configuration, but I won't have the mode/gain channels available. Can anyone offer their experience here? Like how to set initial trim? Any caveats? Thx
Re: 4 channel only receiver - I see that the trim can be reset with the software provided; no need for a mode channel connection to the Guardian. Just might want to have a laptop at the field.
Gordonq is offline Find More Posts by Gordonq
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:23 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
What is the latest PC Software (For Guardian 2D/3D) and Firmware version now available?

Thanks,
-mike-
For reference to anyone else....current PC Software Version is 10.43 and current Guardian 2D/3D Firmware Version is 1.17

As of this posting...

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:08 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,331 Posts
Just Ordered 2.....

Hope they make it in for batch 3 or 4 .....
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:27 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Looks Like Tower Hobbies is gonna be getting some in late September

Price is only $65.99 as listed on towers website

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:02 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,331 Posts
I'll take my chances with eagle tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Looks Like Tower Hobbies is gonna be getting some in late September

Price is only $65.99 as listed on towers website FCA
or.... if anyone has one for sale...
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Sep 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM.