HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Moved my ET over to yet another plane.
Foam 1400mm P-47.
All 3 axis were dial gain of 50% (half way over to appropriate side from Center).
No Mode switch connected so USB interface set up for always 3D Heading Holde = disabled (rate mode).
Gain switch set up for -100,0, 50 on the flap channel yielding Off, Mid, High gain selection.

I did not need much trim, but at the end of flt #1, I reset trim using USB/PC connection on my notebook.

Today was calm so a decent day to maiden. It was stable even without the gyro so I'll have to wait for a windy day to see how good it's holding with the cheap stock servos.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
Chesapeake, Va
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Yes, but this may not be the right thread to discuss it.
I have one comming for a review and will post in the general Gyro in an Airplane thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035605
Ok looking foreward to your review. Can you PM me when you do? Thanks appreciate your response.
Wil
RotorHeadH53 is offline Find More Posts by RotorHeadH53
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHeadH53 View Post
Ok looking foreward to your review. Can you PM me when you do? Thanks appreciate your response.
Wil
Edit:
Gotcha, it will be on the other thread though.
Last edited by Melnic; Aug 30, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:22 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
921 Posts
Latest version..?

What is the latest PC Software (For Guardian 2D/3D) and Firmware version now available?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,312 Posts
Prof, somebody posted a buddy code just after I saw them come up on the site and it was showing 43 in stock then so I'm guessing they didn't get all that many of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That didn't take long. Maybe they had a small supply or, someone bought out the stock of them and they will be on ebay in a few days. I was able to pick up two of them.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Review request notice I believe was in reference to post 1684 and 1686. The Guardian 2D / 3D is not the only FS that gets mentioned here.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
I have just finished going through 1,701 posts in about 3 hours. Great stuff to read and to return to later when problems arise.

Throughout these 1,701 posts, the trouble-free transmitter setups are mostly on Spektrum DX8. The transmitter setup post coming closest to my JR 8103 is the JR 9503 post. But, it does not give me enough detail to proceed with mine. Compared to my JR 8103, the Spektrum DX8 menus are way advanced.

My available options are using the AUX2 (2D, Off, 3D) and AUX3 (Gain) knobs on top of the TX. Unfortunately, I don’t get it how to accomplish the setup. I think that I am on the right path, but I need help real bad.

In attempting to assign the AUX2 knob as the 2D, Off, 3D switch, I chose PMIX 3 which emulates some of the posts. The Menu screen looks like this:
SPOI to SPOI
Rate -100, 0
SW: ON
Offset 0

The TX does not allow any button to get the Offset to increment up to +100. It stays at 0.
Am I supposed to change the SW to some other switch? Or, is SPOI to SPOI incorrect?
Man, I cannot imagine reaching for the AUX2 knob while flying with only one hand on the sticks.
After this first setup is solved, then AUX3 setup is next.
I will appreciate any answers you have for me. Oh, and no, buying a DX8 to solve my issue is not possible.
ARCS 1980 is offline Find More Posts by ARCS 1980
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:23 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHeadH53 View Post
Hey any of your guys ever heard of BL-3GRC (ICE-MAN) by Blue Light Technologies?

Gyro range

x 7 RC transmitter inputs (Pitch, roll, yaw + 4 real time switches
x 6 RC aircraft outputs (Aircraft servos / ESC motor speed controllers)
- Applications: RC airplane, heli, multi-copter, gyro evaluation, platform
..stability, general robotics, teaching aid
- In-built full speed mini USB for set up and testing (incl firmware upgrade)
- Supports all RC transmitters, servos and controllers (Independent I/O)
- Multiple input curve options, incl x4 user defined (11 pts)
- x 3 PID contollers (programmable)
- Special anti-crash and cross wind take off features for novice teaching

I found it online at http://www.bluelight-tech.com/products.htm. This one is only $50. Just wondering how it is compared to the Guardian. It seems to have more inputs and outputs possibly for dual servos in larger planes that have both Elevator and Aileron dual seervos.

Anyone heard of it, used it, or know of any reviews on it?

I have a new Eagle Tree Guardian 2d/3d just got it in the mail this week. Going to try it out this weekend, but always looking for newer better technology. Thanks
Just got thru reading the manual on this Bluelight stabilizer. The playing field is now well defined.

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...UserManual.pdf

On one end you have simple rate gyros. On the other end you have complex open source stabilizers that require a Bachelors of Science in something to make them work ( or if you don't - your a good candidate to get a degree) This unit falls in the latter. The manual even recommends you read up on Kalman filters. Lol. That's more math than I care to know in setting one of these up. I just want to fly.

http://www.openpilot.org/products/op...trol-platform/

On the other end are the a3's, a6's orx's...etc. These boards are just a click above individual gyros. The only selling point to these are the mems chip used. The software lacks and it's apparent in some of the postings. Pots that have poor resolution, snap rolls (unmixed control surfaces in HH mode), users asking for others to step in and improve the software...etc....etc. This reminds me of the debacle with the Assan GA250 mems gyro. Cheap, $10 and poorly written software. The only thing worthy was the support from China. Even I was taken in.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362819

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=assan

Highlight Hi-tech, make cheap, and sell cheap, seems to be a re-occuring sales tactic being used by some of these offshore companies. So let the unwary be forwarned. Due to the bad slow flying characteristics of three gyros working fully independently, I'm starting to see generalizations in the ORX thread that may lead people into thinking all stabalization units have this bad tendency - regarding stalling. Not so with the Guardian. Let's not forget that it has the 2D feature that uses accelerometers. Which none of these under $20 units have.

At this time, the Guardian still stands up above the rest. Simple to setup with functions that are well thought out for aircraft. With software that provides just the right amount of adjustability without getting into too much of the actual individual variables contained in the math (P.I.D.s) - I've spent more time flying than tweaking numbers or sliders.

and now for just a little over $50..... :-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=432

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=430
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Sep 03, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:09 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Just got thru reading the manual on this Bluelight stabilizer. The playing field is now well defined.

On one end you have simple rate gyros. On the other end you have complex open source stabilizers that require a Bachelors of Science in something to make them work ( or if you don't - your a good candidate to get a degree) This unit falls in the latter. The manual even recommends you read up on Kalman filters. Lol. That's more math than I care to know in setting one of these up. I just want to fly.

On the other end are the a3's, a6's orx's...etc. These boards are just a click above individual gyros. The only selling point to these are the mems chip used. The software lacks and it's apparent in some of the postings. Pots that have poor resolution, snap rolls (unmixed control surfaces in HH mode), users asking for others to step in and improve the software...etc....etc. This reminds me of the debacle with the Assan GA250 mems gyro. Cheap, $10 and poorly written software. The only thing worthy was the support from China. Even I was taken in.

At this time, the Guardian still stands up above the rest. Simple to setup with functions that are well thought out for aircraft. With software that provides just the right amount of adjustability without getting into too much of the actual individual variables contained in the math (P.I.D.s) - I've spent more time flying than tweaking numbers or sliders.

and now for just a little over $50..... :-)
I saw the "developer's version" was available. I said to myself it will appeal to hackers and source code hobbyists. A cult following will emerge like the Turnigy 9X which is open source. Some people want to make the radio or airplane stabilizer. I prefer to use the radio and stabilizer.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:22 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I saw the "developer's version" was available. I said to myself it will appeal to hackers and source code hobbyists. A cult following will emerge like the Turnigy 9X which is open source. Some people want to make the radio or airplane stabilizer. I prefer to use the radio and stabilizer.
Ditto. I speculate that the next unit will be an all-in-one receiver by one of the big names in tx/rx's. Will it be $50-$75?

(Note: I might just pickup a Blue-Light - looks to be a great learning tool if you want to dive deeper into how these things work. It seems to be a well packaged Openpilot project but simpler. Only thing is, I'm running out of airplanes, helis, and quads. Lol - and way to many projects currently. The manual is a very good read)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Aug 31, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Set up questions

I installed the Guardian in a 3DHS Edge 540 last night. No flying yet, just setting it up. I found a couple of things I could not explain. I have an FY-20A that I have flown for quite a while so the set up was not a real problem.
  • 2D flying attitude - Waving the plane around in my shop I found the 2D mode often wound up trying to fly the plane on a tilt, is this typical in flight or just something because I was not really flying the plane.
  • Changing settings using the Tx - It would always waggle the elevator telling me my setting was changed, I toggled the mode switch and I got control back but my setting did not take effect, even after power cycling the unit. It would work if I changed the setting via the PC. Am I doing something wrong here?
  • I was also wondering how many people turn off 3D heading hold and also turn off the 3D direct rate control. Rate control default is 1Hz which seems really slow.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:34 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,046 Posts
BJM-Maxx, I have the Guardian on my Buck Huck, and have been testing it out for a couple weeks now.....For me, the HH mode just felt weird, did not want to get accustomed to flying that way since none of my other planes have a Guardian, 3D direct rate mode feels the most natural......I have found that I can now fly in much higher wind, biggest advantage is landing since our club field is set up in such a way that there is frequently a cross wind.....Guardian makes landing a non-event now.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:45 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Silver, IMO, you should post this all to either the generic Gyro thread:

or the Bluelight specific thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722138

Since this is a vendor section for Eagle Tree, IMHO, it steps on their toes to go into that much depth about another brand of gyro. Well, that's my opinion on it.
thx
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:47 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
  • 2D flying attitude - Waving the plane around in my shop I found the 2D mode often wound up trying to fly the plane on a tilt, is this typical in flight or just something because I was not really flying the plane.
  • Changing settings using the Tx - It would always waggle the elevator telling me my setting was changed, I toggled the mode switch and I got control back but my setting did not take effect, even after power cycling the unit. It would work if I changed the setting via the PC. Am I doing something wrong here?
  • I was also wondering how many people turn off 3D heading hold and also turn off the 3D direct rate control. Rate control default is 1Hz which seems really slow.
Reset your center & Trims. It's in the manual and on the video in post #1(toggle the Mode switch after power up)
I don't like Heading Hold, I prefer Rate mode. (Heading Hold disabled).
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:52 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
More wind today. I flew it with Gyro On/Off.
Someone asked me this morning if the gyro was NEEDED in the wind.
Well, I said that I can fly it in the wind, the plane will jump around and make sudden movements and I correct it, I like to fly close to the ground and that's where the windspeeds change and go up/down not just sideways with the ground contour changes. Flying w/ the gyro on, just makes it easier and more relaxing. I can fly even lower with confidence. This particular plane has a foam wing, cheap analog servos so cranking up the gain will yeild the occational bobble or two, but overall, the plane was flying really smooth. All the Dial gains on 50% and the flap switch was set to -100,20,60 and no oscillations even at the higher gain setting.

IF ANYONE sees them back in stock anymore, let me know. My buddy keeps missing the stock and I'll call him next time.
thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Moved my ET over to yet another plane.
Foam 1400mm P-47.
All 3 axis were dial gain of 50% (half way over to appropriate side from Center).
No Mode switch connected so USB interface set up for always 3D Heading Holde = disabled (rate mode).
Gain switch set up for -100,0, 50 on the flap channel yielding Off, Mid, High gain selection.

I did not need much trim, but at the end of flt #1, I reset trim using USB/PC connection on my notebook.

Today was calm so a decent day to maiden. It was stable even without the gyro so I'll have to wait for a windy day to see how good it's holding with the cheap stock servos.