SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Transmitter Mode select mix settings

Thought it would be nice to have these all together. If you have a post with proven Mode Selection PM me the link and I will add it here.

3D/OFF - Two Position vs. Three Position Switch

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1649

DX 8 2D 3D Off

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1650

DX7 2D/Off/3D using Flap sw.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=820

Addational DX7 info

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=839
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:04 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Has anybody tried setting the Guardian 2D/3D using alpha versions above 10.48? If I install versions 10.49 or 10.50 the PC will not program the Guardian. I can change the values on the screen and click Ok but when I reconnect to the Guardian nothing was saved.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Has anybody tried setting the Guardian 2D/3D using alpha versions above 10.48? If I install versions 10.49 or 10.50 the PC will not program the Guardian. I can change the values on the screen and click Ok but when I reconnect to the Guardian nothing was saved.

Steve
Where to download?
vs0587 is offline Find More Posts by vs0587
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jul 2007
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
If anyone is interested in getting a Guardian 2D/3D unit they are available cheaply from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Tree-G...item20c9ac3f1c

I did an offer of 64.99 which was accepted. This was my second unit...my 1st unit I paid more
I ordered 3 from them as soon as I saw you had posted this,
They arrived in about a week!

Im still having the same issue as the first one.

There is VERY LITTLE corrective input from the guardian in any mode.

As I understood it, at 45deg rotation the Guardians max corrective output
should be reached.

However with mine its looks like the equiv of 2 or 3 clicks of trim (almost nothing)

Turning the gain up full doesnt change anything.

Any ideas whats going on?
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
I found it shows more if I rotate very quickly, in a jerk.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
should be reached.
With default gain (no remote gain connected) it is more like 90 degrees.

See post here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=954
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post

should be reached.

However with mine its looks like the equiv of 2 or 3 clicks of trim (almost nothing)

This is very strange......

The only time i had something like that was when i accidently reversed the mode and gain leads (ie put them in the wrong channels on receiver) .... But i am sure you checked all thsat out

Ok try this. Plug guardian into pc - reset level and trims and confirm AHI is level when your plane is level.

Ensure the check box for default mode is 2d mode. Now power up plane (no prop please) with both the gain and mode leads Disconnected from receiver.

Now roll the plane to 45 deg. Do the servos correct ???
If not using a small screwdriver manually turn roll gain all the way to one side - doe the servos correct now ??

If yes then things are working as they should - now repeat with the gain lead attached to receiver

If not then contact Eagle tree

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Flame:
Trying to do a knife edge with auto turn coordination on at all may cause problems This will give left rudder in a left bank which if no up elevator is used will cause nose down. Yours is on in the 2d mode but as there is no setting for it in 3d, it may be affecting that also. Max stabilization role angle at 45 degrees in 2d should not affect 3d but if it did, I do not know what it would do in a 90 degree knife edge.
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
2d mode has a setting for max stabilization role angle. Does this have something to do with his problem? Would doing a snap roll in 2d mode exceed the max stabilization role angle? If it is not set to center stick ( BOX ) stabilization only, how does he do a snap role?
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm79311 View Post
2d mode has a setting for max stabilization role angle. Does this have something to do with his problem? Would doing a snap roll in 2d mode exceed the max stabilization role angle? If it is not set to center stick ( BOX ) stabilization only, how does he do a snap role?
Yes, it would stop the snap roll in its tracks in the default. I have increased the roll angle allowed and the plane behavior is pretty wonky or bizarre when attempting a loop in 2D mode.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
I have four (4) Guardians and two are installed in planes.

I am still sorting out the various settings to achieve what I hoped with the Guardian airplane stabilizer. My primary goal is to use the Guardian to fly on windy days and reduce pilot workload. I can now say after another round of adjusting pot gains and other settings I have done so with one of the two planes. The 40" wingspan delta with rudder which was designed by Leadfeather and built by me a few years ago.

Guardian Installation is on the bottom and 6 inches behind the CG. Why 6" in back of CG? Simple answer -- the receiver is mounted 9" behind the CG and I wasn't going to tear up the plane to install the Guardian.

This plane had two servos strip from the Guardian over rotating the servos. After I sorted that problem the Guardian installation and using 50% gains and default settings was OK but still problematic. When I would switch from 2D to 3D the plane tended to pitch up. So, I decided to increase pitch, yaw and heading hold in 2D.

Settings were changed to the following and then test flown in windy conditions:

Yaw = 65
Roll = 55
Pitch 80

2D heading hold increased from 6 to 9.

3D is default.

After two test flights I am delighted with the results. The two flights today were in windy conditions and the quirky delta flew great in both modes! The lesson learned is you have dial in each plane's Guardian settings based on the plane's flight characteristics and your flying preferences. It's a process and an adventure.

Scratchbuilt RC with Guardian -- increased pitch and yaw gains 8-26-12 (6 min 47 sec)

Later in the evening I flew again. Wind was greater but the Guardian did its job except for me stalling it 4 feet above the ground when landing. The Guardian cannot create lift.

Evening Guardian flight in LF, 2nd flight new gain settings_8-26-12 (7 min 23 sec)
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Just ordered!

Just ordered the Guardian, anybody have a diagram of their setup with a Guardian stabilizer hooked up? Any advise? Is it a tough hook up for a semi-newbe?

Thank you! Tim
TBello is offline Find More Posts by TBello
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post

should be reached.

Start with Everyday Flyer's post, then if you still dont' figure it out read this:

Do you have the remote gain channel plugged in?
If so, try it without the remote gain channel plugged in and all the dials say CCW. (don't fly it that way though).

Keep in mind that 3D heading holde mode on, if you move the plane on the bench, the surfaces move then stay moved till you return it. In 3D heading hold off (rate mode), it only BUMPS when you jerk the plane.

I THINK (can anyone confirm this) that 3D heading hold is turned off by default (rate mode). So you have to crank up the gain and jerk the plane to see the movement so you can check Gyro reversing. Checking gyro reversing to me is easiest in HH mode for most newbies. People with more experiance have less trouble with checking reversing w/ the gains turned down, and so will you with more experiance.

Here is a vid with 3D position and Heading Hold enabled. with gains at about 40% on the dials (40% would be like 2 oclock for one reverse setting and say 10 oclock for the other) Remote gain channel is plugged in and at about full 100% throw

3 axis gyro pre flight test (3 min 24 sec)

Here is a vid showing 3D position with Heading Hold oFf (Rate mode) and with gains still at about 40% but I'm moving the remote gain channel switch around.
Eagle Tree Guardian Gain Modes Demo (2 min 1 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBello View Post
Just ordered the Guardian, anybody have a diagram of their setup with a Guardian stabilizer hooked up? Any advise? Is it a tough hook up for a semi-newbe?

Thank you! Tim
Follow the instructions they give you. read everything!
Play with it on the bench.
Watch thier vidoes on their web page and the Post #1 of this thread first!

Here is some general Gyro reference: (this is geared towards single heli gyro use, much of it does not apply here but is a reference if you can't find your answers somewhere else.)
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html

Gyro test (video at top was done with Guardian in 3D heading hold mode enabled).
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyrotestpage.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
Northern CA
Joined Apr 2003
124 Posts
I just installed and successfully flew the guardian in my Hangar 9 Extra 260 78" span with a DLE 55 cc gas engine. I experimented in 3D with taking the plane through nice large turns, loops, rolls, and just lining up the plane for landings, and using 2D to come out of inverted or a vertical climb/dive. I am happy to say that the results are pretty impressive. Gain settings are pretty low around 25% - 30%. Anything more and I get large oscillations! Landing approach was pretty cool, line up the plane down the runway and watch the Guardian make all changes necessary to counteract gusts and crosswinds and bring her in! Pretty cool stuff actually. I was using a DX-18 with a AR7200 Spektrum receiver. Ailerons are on a Y connector and Elevator servos are on a Y with a reverser on one elevator servo.

The 2D mode was remarkably fast in uprighting the plane from an inverted mode. My buddy and I were both quite surprised by the very rapid roll that plane performed once I activated the 2D mode. This is a great learning tool for beginners and a great tool for advanced pilots to help with various gusty and stiff cross winds.

Before using the Guardian in my Extra, I had installed it in a smaller electric plane just to learn how it would need to be set up. After successfully using it in my smaller electric, I tried the large Extra! I

One thing I noticed is that the unit does not like expo settings. With an expo setting of only 10% on aileron, in 3D, it appeared that the plane would not follow my stick commands very well on aileron. Once I removed the expo, it was all fine. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

I will try it in my larger warbirds next.

I did a lot of vibration isolation. I am also a heli pilot so I used some of the gel tape that we use in installing our heli gyros to install the Guardian. I have no vibration related issues.
sharam is offline Find More Posts by sharam
Last edited by sharam; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add more info!