SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
won't Reset Trims be needed mostly for 3D with Heading Holde mode Enabled and Not in 3D w/ Rate mode (3D w/ Heading Hold Disabled)? or needed as well for 2D mode?
I believe Reset Trims is needed when Heading Hold is enabled, in either 3D or 2D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I initally flew mine in 3D w/ Heading Hold Disabled (Rate mode) then trimmed out my plane with the sticks to make it fly level and flew it several flights before doing the 2D center trims/level function to try out the 2D function.
You trimmed your plane with Heading Hold Off, then did a Reset Level Fight and Trims in 2D where Heading Hold is On. That made you good to go in 3D Heading Hold aslo.

Reset Trims Only is easy to do with the switch movement after power on. No plane orientation required just the switch throws.

I found the Reset Level Fight and Trims much easier to do with my laptop hooked up. I could hold the plane orientated in one hand and do one click on the mouse. If it was far off to start it seemed to take 2 trys. Like it will only make limited correction each time. 1st time got it part way there and the second got it dead on.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
I personally will never use 2D mode so I'm thinking about turning it off completely so I never inadvertantly go into it by mistake. As such will either be 3D off off on the mode toggle or 3D off 3D. Not sure which route i'm going to go yet.
I pretty much agree. Move Off - 3D to a 2 position switch and get my 3 position flap switch back for flaps.

Only time I've liked 2D was with my 26" flying wing. If it gets too far away (it gets pretty small pretty fast and gets hard to tell top from bottom) and I lose orientation, hitting 2D gives me a chance get my bearings again.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
I pretty much agree. Move Off - 3D to a 2 position switch and get my 3 position flap switch back for flaps.

Only time I've liked 2D was with my 26" flying wing. If it gets too far away (it gets pretty small pretty fast and gets hard to tell top from bottom) and I lose orientation, hitting 2D gives me a chance get my bearings again.
That's a good Idea I guess I could map it over to my aux switch. However, disadvantage to doing this is if you ever need to reset level flight and trims one will have to change the programming up a bit to get it to toggle between 3D to 2D, then change programming back.
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
However, disadvantage to doing this is if you ever need to reset level flight and trims one will have to change the programming up a bit to get it to toggle between 3D to 2D, then change programming back.
Or just hook up your laptop.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
BillPa Is Eagletree going to release a firmware update, which will allow user to adjust the pot gain settings using the PC software?

Also whatever became of the receiver connection harness with longer leads?

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
BillPa – Is Eagletree going to release a firmware update, which will allow user to adjust the pot gain settings using the PC software?

Have Fun,

FCA
The pot gain settings are hardware resisters on the Guardian. The software can't move the pot settings. The settings file just saves the location of the pots. Could be useful if you had to swap out a Guardian or to see what your settings were on a previous setup.

I guess they could add a switch to tell the Guardian to use software settings and ignore the pots.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:46 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Or just hook up your laptop.
Right. I never tried with my laptop hooked up, that sounds like it would be much easier than guessing what is level and toggling switches.
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,455 Posts
Quote:
Right. I never tried with my laptop hooked up, that sounds like it would be much easier than guessing what is level and toggling switches.
Yes, it is much easier.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:08 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,086 Posts
3D/OFF - Two Position vs. Three Position Switch

I generally use 3D, but as the poster commented, sometimes, with a small, fast bird, it is nice to be able to go into 2D; at least 'till I recognize what is happening.

I happen to use a three-position switch, but I find that, in a panic, even with a piece of fuel tubing on the Guardian Mode switch, I cannot always find it quickly enough to get into 2D mode and am reluctant to take my eyes off the bird.

So, I programmed a pair of mixes triggered by a momentary switch. PMIX1 is for when Guardian is OFF (forces -100 on the Mode channel) and PMIX2 is for when Guardian is in 3D (also forces -100, but needs to have -100 offset to go from +100 to zero, then same as PMIX1 to get the rest fo the way to -100.)

It works great. I happen to use the trainer button and folks really like it. I can just press it momentarily, the plane is placed in level trimmed flight, then I can release and, if in 3D mode, it holds that attitude... Also, I could hold the momentary button down 'till I can safely switch to 2D mode.

Michael

Quote:

Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I generally use 3D, but as the poster commented, sometimes, with a small, fast bird, it is nice to be able to go into 2D; at least 'till I recognize what is happening.

I happen to use a three-position switch, but I find that, in a panic, even with a piece of fuel tubing on the Guardian Mode switch, I cannot always find it quickly enough to get into 2D mode and am reluctant to take my eyes off the bird.

So, I programmed a pair of mixes triggered by a momentary switch. PMIX1 is for when Guardian is OFF (forces -100 on the Mode channel) and PMIX2 is for when Guardian is in 3D (also forces -100, but needs to have -100 offset to go from +100 to zero, then same as PMIX1 to get the rest fo the way to -100.)

It works great. I happen to use the trainer button and folks really like it. I can just press it momentarily, the plane is placed in level trimmed flight, then I can release and, if in 3D mode, it holds that attitude... Also, I could hold the momentary button down 'till I can safely switch to 2D mode.

Michael
This is good stuff, please post the details for both mixes a pic is even better

Thanks,

FCA
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post

Michael
That's clever, I like that. But it does presume that the momentary switch is easier/faster to find than the mode switch, otherwise not much help.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,504 Posts
Agree, but it is a neat idea.

Assign the mix switch to the Trainer button, paint it bright red and label it "Panic Button". You could even mix in low throttle.

When in trouble, let all the sticks go and hit "Panic".

I know it would be useful for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
That's clever, I like that. But it does presume that the momentary switch is easier/faster to find than the mode switch, otherwise not much help.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:16 PM
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Whatever works. Pressing a button, flicking a switch, or sliding a lever.

I control the 2D/Off/3D using the Aux2 switch on my JR9503 heli version radio

And control the master gain using the left slider, it's become second nature to manipulate those switchs, again whatever works for you

As someone posted earlier, if you happen to have several planes with guardian installed, you better set them up the same way, if not it could spell trouble in a moment of panic

Have Fun,

FCA
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,086 Posts
PMIXes For Momentary PushButton 2D Mode

Thank you. Here are the settings, but pics might only make sense for another DX-18 owner. The key is the rate/offset settings.

"Mode" refers to the XMTR channel that is used to switch mode (-100 = 2D, 0 = OFF, +100 = 3D).

PMIX1 (To Switch from 3D to 2D upon pressing "trainer" button ("I" on -18):
ON=>MODE
RATE: +100% 0% (shifts from zero to -100)
OFFSET: -100% (shifts the +100 to zero, then the RATE kicks in)
SWITCH: COMBO (Mode 3D position AND "I")

PMIX2 (To Switch from OFF to 2D upon pressing "trainer" button ("I"):
ON=>MODE
RATE: +100% 0% (as above, shifts output from zero to -100)
OFFSET: 0% (when Guardian is OFF, mode channel is already at zero)
SWITCH: COMBO (Mode OFF position AND "I")

With my DX-18, I use a "COMBO" switch (MODE position (3D for PMIX1, OFF for PMIX2) AND Momentary Button (AKA Trainer, AKA "I").

Without a COMBO switch mode, one probably could just mix the PushButton to the Mode channel and have the MODE switch determine whether the mix is active, or not.

PMIXes sure make life easier.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
This is good stuff, please post the details for both mixes a pic is even better

Thanks,

FCA
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,504 Posts
Similar approach for the DX8 seems to work but requires different switch assignment.

The limitation is that DX8 can only assign the Trainer switch to the Gear, Aux1, Aux2 and Aux3 channels. I could not find any simple way to make it switch the required mix's directly which on a DX8 are only switchable by Flight Mode, Gear, Mix and the 3 dual rate switches.

What I did was make Aux2 (3 position switch) the Guardian Mode switch and Aux3 (the knob) with reversed direction as the gain. Mode is 3D when Aux 2 is up and 2D when down.

Then to add "Over-ride 2D" I created the two mix's described in the previous post and assigned switches as follows:

Software Mix 1 and Mix 2, Switch = Gear
My mixes were
Mix1 = -100%,0% rate, 0% offset
Mix2 = -100%,0% rate, -100% offset

Assignment of hardware switches:
Flap = Gear
Aux2 = Aux2
Aux 3 = Aux3

Also assigned Throttle kill to Mix 1 (Hold)

The result.
Aux2 gives 3D,OFF,2D
Aux3 controls the gain

The two most accessible switches (Gear and Mix) turn on 2D and kill the throttle if pulled forward.

You still have retracts on the Flap/Gyro switch if needed.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604