SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Have any of you seen this???... http://www.century-rc.com/ecs/produc....php?p_id=6115

A basic version of The Guardian for about 1/2 the cost...Only 8 grams...

Kevin
Do you know whether it'd work with 1S, 2S, 3S, etc., setups?

That is, does it matter what battery size your plane uses?
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Reads more like same as E Flite's AS3X system . $46 is more than half of $75 and 8 grams is not that much less than 11 grams. No 2D mode , no disable in flight ability that I can see. Perhaps suitable for some applications but Guardian sure seems like it is more than worth the extra cost.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,824 Posts
The guardian sounds like the perfect tool to use in many airplanes, it sounds like be perfect for someone new to flight so that they couldn't get into trouble with a more then trainer plane, also if it works as it should it be great for ones who want to learn more acrobatic flight. I want to flight test one. it would be fun to play with in my 42" AJ slick
Being able to turn it off is a HUGE + since the HH micro planes you can not I have talked to few people who say the AX3X fights you trying to do 3d it is more of a one mode system only I guess. this being able to switch from off/2D/3D is great
I think this would be great for helicopters to if they decide to make it useful in them. I know I have flown a heli with co pilot and was not impressed
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
I often see comments about these gyro systems fighting you, and I think it is a misconsception. I have a few makes on hand. One thing the lower end units do is continually dampen from end point to end point of a servos travel. This results in a softer feel from the controls - escpecially on windy days. Higher end units will have an additional parameter that allows you to set a percent override. Thus when you move the sticks the unit provides less additonal motion coming from th gyros. It works independently from the gain.

In the end you get that snappy, and sharper reaction from the control surface. It's very apparent from these lower end models that don't have this parameter. To regain some of the snappy feel you will have to turn down the gain on the cheaper units. This is a parameter I hope to see in the Guardian 2D/3D unit - it's highly beneficial to snappy pattern or 3D manuevers.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Mar 16, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
$46 is more than half of $75 and 8 grams is not that much less than 11 grams. Charles
Kinda being nit picky???......All I did was to point out that there is an alternative to the Guardian......Not everyone needs all of the bells and whistles that the Guardian offers--So why pay extra for something you don't care about/not going to use???......Both the Guardian and Century systems have their applications where each would do the job you specifically require...All I did was to point out an alternative......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Sam,

It really wouldn't matter, because your receiver has to have a controlled 5V. and this would function on that same circuit.

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Sam,

It really wouldn't matter, because your receiver has to have a controlled 5V. and this would function on that same circuit.

-Mike
Gotcha; thanks.

Follow-up: do these types of gyros require special servos, because they work them more?

Dave
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha; thanks.

Follow-up: do these types of gyros require special servos, because they work them more?

Dave

Dave,

this is not my area of expertise, but that has been discussed a couple of times in this thread.

Here is one of the latest conversations on that topic.

if you do a search on servos (in this thread) you may find your answers.

I am inclined to believe that your HS 65MG would be sufficient in most cases.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
That is a point to be considered. Another flight stabilization (3 Axis) device does require servo upgrading as the older servos will not last long at all. Many who fly helis learned that the tail servo needed to be a higher quality one since the gyro was providing constant inputs to it.

My experience has been that there are some very good and some very poor quality servos and that merely looking at a brand or size or such is often not a great indication of their quality.

I do not install any new servo in an aircraft without first using a servo tester / cycler to burn it it for a couple of hours mininum and ckeck travel,centering accuracy ,etc.

Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I have lots of experiance with gyros on planes, So far I have yet to have a servo fail that was controlled by a gyro. HOWEVER, I guarantee you that the gyro makes the servo work harder. How much harder? Depends on how much you crank the gain up.
If I build a plane that I know will say have a gyro on the ailerons and I can put 3 servos instead of 1, I do it. I also oversize the gyro if I can.
The one plane that probably has the most hours with a gyro of mine is a dynam Hawksky. yes, cheap dynam servos, you don't get much cheaper than thos. They are pretty much the $4 9g servos you see on most planes. 25+ hours of flying it and 20 of those are with a gyro on the aileron. About 5-8 crashes from Rx extreme testing and they still work. HOWEVER, I flew it in rate mode and only 30% gain. I have some digital servos and some analogs. Some cheap Digitals are really chatty, and then add a gyro and it's extra chatty. Futabas, Hitecs, Hyperions, I'd not have any doubt they are just fine with a gyro with a moderate gain. Any of the cheaper servos I have in use currently (EXI, Tower Pro, Hextronix etc), I keep the gain down to a reasonable level.
For something like tail rudder use, where I turn it off except on take off, not such a big deal and my gains are higher like 80%.
Servo cycler, good idea for anyone, not just gyro user.
I find the digitals work better with a gyro, but also work harder. I have no problem putting an analog servo in on a gyro controlled aileron. I will get improvements to the wind but not the same as when I go the 9 yards and go digital, mems sensor, ball links, minimize slop etx.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Have any of you seen this???... http://www.century-rc.com/ecs/produc....php?p_id=6115

A basic version of The Guardian for about 1/2 the cost...Only 8 grams...

Kevin
That's the Eagle A3 , very basic and as you said, light cause it's one piece. I bet dollars to donuts that the Eagle Tree version is much better.
Goodluckbuy has been selling this too. (wait a month on mailing for anything from GLB)
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-mic...roller-a3.html

The big thing is to be able to turn the rudder gain down or off. The Eagle won't be able to do that. (this is what we're asking Eagle Tree to do in this thread).
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:20 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
...and the release date is.....?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
That's the Eagle A3 , very basic and as you said, light cause it's one piece.

The big thing is to be able to turn the rudder gain down or off. The Eagle won't be able to do that. (this is what we're asking Eagle Tree to do in this thread).
I am not sure why folks are equating the eagle A3 with the eagle tree guardian standalone. You most certainly can adjust rudder gains separately and even have coordinated rudder turns on or off with the guardian standalone

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
That's the Eagle A3 , very basic and as you said, light cause it's one piece. I bet dollars to donuts that the Eagle Tree version is much better.
Goodluckbuy has been selling this too. (wait a month on mailing for anything from GLB)
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-mic...roller-a3.html

Oh yeah the Eagle Tree is a better unit!!!......I was just showing that there is an alternative to the Guardian if you don't need all of the bells/whistles...

Melnic..You are a WEALTH of information and I really like your reviews/comments/feedback!!!..I'm back in the heli game and want to pick your brain a bit...Expect some PM's from me and PLEASE---Be PATIENT!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
218 Posts
Quote:

Perhaps a little more on your question. Mike is right that the voltage required by your receiver will be fine for your Guardian. But current is another matter, as discussed here in the past.

if you have three gyro controlled servos operating, then your current drain will be increased. Imagine the difference between your occasional stick inputs compared to the constant servo movement as the gyros stabilize your plane in gusty winds.

There are two implications to the increased current draw. The most immediate consideration is whether the BEC in you speed control can handle the higher draw. That will depend on the BEC itself as well as servo size, speed, gyro gain, and turbulence. Best to assume the worst and be sure that you don't pull so much current that you brown out your BEC. If in doubt, power your radio from a separate battery or a separate regulator.

The second implication is that you may run your battery down sooner due to servo activity. This is much less of a worry because the propulsion motor is still using orders of magnitude more power than your radio does.

You can go back a few pages on this thread for a more detailed discussion.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
I am not sure why folks are equating the eagle A3 with the eagle tree guardian standalone. You most certainly can adjust rudder gains separately and even have coordinated rudder turns on or off with the guardian standalone

Al
I've already forgotten what I've read. Seperate channel for remote rudder gain on the Eagletree?
The A3 only has dials so you can't turn it on/off in the air.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:46 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Kinda being nit picky???...
Well that is one point of view. How about this is the Eagle Tree vendor's Forum and this is or was a Guardian 2D/3D Thread.
There are now over 160 post and many are more about other units than this new Guardian.

It has been compared to $50, $125 and aprox. $1,000 units and I do not believe a single person doing the comparison has a Guardian 2D/3D and one of the other units to which they are making the comparisions.

Those looking for a great deal on stabilization systems can purchase an E Flite Beast 3D for $140 and get AS3X, receiver,aircraft,Brushless Motor , ESC 4 servos and a ,prop,. One dealer had them on sale for $109 and free shipping.

I got curious and went back thru this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875722

and I not see a single comparison to the How High or How Fast which makes me wonder?
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 17, 2012 at 06:32 AM.