HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, NM, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2007
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
If Guardian sees any deviation from neutral it interprets it as a command to move the plane, at least in 3D direct rate mode.

It's good practice to make mechanical adjustments on your surfaces and fly with no trim even without a Guardian. Guardian requires us not to be lazy on this.
Unfortunatly the addiction linkages are non adjustable. The builder tapes the surfaces to neutral and then epoxies the ends onto the cf rods. If I got that lucky to have a neutral flying airplane using their method I would need to make a trip to vegas, lol. Looks like I'll need to install adjustable linkages.
luckyflyer is offline Find More Posts by luckyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyflyer View Post
2d to 3d and then to off, correct?
No
2D to 3D & back to 2D (or 3D to 2D to 3D). Try that.

I had to ask too, I didn't find it clear.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,226 Posts
Quote:
2d to 3d and then to off, correct?
2D to 3D and back 2D within 15 seconds of plugging in your lipo.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
2D to 3D and back 2D within 15 seconds of plugging in your lipo.
Gotcha, thanks
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Having trim and sub-trim seems to be ok. Trim the plane so it flys dead nuts straight with guardian off. Land and do a "Reset Trims Only". Page 9 in the instructions. See if that helps. I was having the same problem and that was the fix.
Yours worked ok in 3d mode, no drifting?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunatly the addiction linkages are non adjustable. The builder tapes the surfaces to neutral and then epoxies the ends onto the cf rods. If I got that lucky to have a neutral flying airplane using their method I would need to make a trip to vegas, lol. Looks like I'll need to install adjustable linkages.
Hey Lucky,

You can have subtrim and trim in the radio on any/all of the channels. Just get the trimming done so the plane flies level before you do the reset trim in the Guardian. All my Guardian planes have subtrim and trim. The Guardian works perfect in each.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Yours worked ok in 3d mode, no drifting?
Yes. That's what it seems doing a "Reset Trims Only" does. After "Reset Trims Only" it seems to no longer consider your trim settings as a control input but as normal for straight and level. Someone who knows more may correct me if I'm mis-understanding this.

Maybe "straight and level" is the wrong term when you're in 3D. Just straight is probably better, as in straight relative to your planes' attitude when you centered the sticks. No drifting off, assuming your gain is set high enough.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Last edited by t.edwards; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,226 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha, thanks
From the manual:
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Yes. That's what it seems doing a "Reset Trims Only" does. After "Reset Trims Only" it seems to no longer consider your trim settings as a control input but as normal for straight and level. Someone who knows more may correct me if I'm mis-understanding this.

Maybe "straight and level" is the wrong term when you're in 3D. Straight, as in straight relative to your planes' attitude when you centered the sticks. No drifting off, assuming your gain is set high enough.
You're right. The reset trims only is so the Guardian knows when the sticks are at neutral. Then it can tell when you move a stick and respond to that input. You need to do the reset trims only again any time you change the subtrim or trims.

I have noticed that I can move the trims a few clicks and the plane will still fly well with the Guardian in both 2D and 3D. I prefer to wait until I'm home and can use the PC program to do the reset.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
158 Posts
Ok thanks to you guys I've been able to do the reset and now when I toggle from off to 2d or 3d I get no trim changes on any surface. I'll fly it in the morning. I'm optimistic that this fixes things. Thanks to all
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,861 Posts
Quote:
As I think you learned now, the other guys are correct. I forgot that reset gives the Guardian a new neutral In my defense, I've been on the road and haven't been able to fly for a few weeks. In any case, it sounds like you have the problem sorted out.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:24 AM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Oct 2007
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Mike,

It's good to read your problem is solved. What did you set you servo limits to in the Guardian?

Bill

Default Val Default % Set Val Set %
Aileron Min 233 125 133 71
Aileron Max 233 125 133 71
Elevator Min 233 125 66 35
Elevator Max 233 125 133 71
Rudder Min 233 125 166 89
Rudder Max 233 125 166 89
DoeHillFlyer is online now Find More Posts by DoeHillFlyer
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeHillFlyer View Post
Default Val Default % Set Val Set %
Aileron Min 233 125 133 71
Aileron Max 233 125 133 71
Elevator Min 233 125 66 35
Elevator Max 233 125 133 71
Rudder Min 233 125 166 89
Rudder Max 233 125 166 89

Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Correct me if I"m wrong, but won't Reset Trims be needed mostly for 3D with Heading Holde mode Enabled and Not in 3D w/ Rate mode (3D w/ Heading Hold Disabled)? or needed as well for 2D mode?

I initally flew mine in 3D w/ Heading Hold Disabled (Rate mode) then trimmed out my plane with the sticks to make it fly level and flew it several flights before doing the 2D center trims/level function to try out the 2D function.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,239 Posts
This is my understanding how the 3D modes work. When both are enabled and your flying around at any time with sticks not centered your in rate mode. Then when you center the sticks it goes into heading hold mode. Your move the sticks and your back in rate mode. Of course you can disable either one. This could be wrong but sure seems like that is what is going on. The reset level flight and trims seems to have no bearing on 3d mode either rate and especially not hh mode. For me after trims and level flight are set with plane on ground I can toggle between 3d and off and nothing changes. 2d and off however elevator moves a bit to compensate to try bring the tail up to level. I'm still getting things figured so as always... I'm probably wrong. It is very important for 2D mode. Trim your plane out with stabilization disabled, not in any modes. Trying to get the correct "level flight" set on the ground is the difficult part. I personally will never use 2D mode so I'm thinking about turning it off completely so I never inadvertantly go into it by mistake. As such will either be 3D off off on the mode toggle or 3D off 3D. Not sure which route i'm going to go yet.

Here's my CZ guardian equipped yak. Almost dialed in perfect to my liking. Still see a bit of oscillation on the ailerons when in a high speed knife edge just need to tune that out a bit. This plane did not fly nearly this well in harriers, hovering and knife edge without the guardian, thank you eagle tree. Finally, now I can start bringing my hovers down to the deck, get my confidence right up and switch the guardian off. Up until now I have struggled with hovering as I try to do it so high by the time I see what plane is doing it's too late for me to react. It is much easier to hover down low close to you.

Eflite Carbon Z Yak (3 min 50 sec)
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Last edited by IEATSRT; Aug 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM.